SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need for front brake pads, I'm in Mexico. Not any of the dealers got the OEM pads, and the only ones I found are some "Albany" brand from autozone at 35 the set.. Dealer says the OEM ones will delay a week or two but my current pads are completely worn and beggining to scrape the rotors.
Are these autozone pads good enough considering price difference is only 5 dollars?

thanks!

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
They will work as good as stock pads. If you want to upgrade I reccommend Metal Master pads. They last a long time, stop well even when they are pretty cold, and they are not very expensive. They can be purchased online if you can't find them locally.

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick answer.. the problem is that if I buy online from the U.S., the shipping charges are outrageous, so I need to get them locally. I guess I'll park the car and wait for the OEM pads to arrive.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
You may want to check and see if Autozone can order the Metal Master pads for you. If not then just buy the "Albany" brand ones. That way you don't have to wait 2 weeks for the OEM ones and they are cheaper too.

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll check tomorrow if they can get me the Metal Masters.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
With a small price difference, I'd go OEM simply because they are known to be the bang for the buck pad. I have no problems with cheap parts store pads, but I don't race yet. Mine stops fine on cheap pads, but I've never had better pads to compare them too. If you're going to spend the kind of money on Metal Masters, talk to Matt at Carbotech. For a few bucks more you can get way better pads. I wouldn't use anyting but OEM or parts store pads on the street. Race pads on the street means either the pad or the rotor is gonna get chewed up, because you'll never get either one up the operating temperature when street driving.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you're making metal/metal contact and scoring your rotors, then I also hope you're going to get your rotors turned (or replaced if below minimal spec).

Michael.

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, thanks, I am aware of that, I will need to get the front passenger side rotor resurfaced, that´s the one that always wears out first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my shop used to use albany pads for just about everything, and had more problems then you can imagine. about 1 out of 4 cars came back for noise. and they seem to wear the rotors pretty badly.
id say if its an emergency get them ,and then replace them as soon as you can.
also, if one side is wearng out faster you probably have a caliper hanging up, id replace the calipers, and the hoses. youll proably get alot more wear out of the pads.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I used Albany pads at a couple of track lapping days. Got pad fade? ;)

They're fine for street use and autocrossing in my experience.

Something like Axxis Ultimates are a nice step up when you get your next set. When they're warm, they bite even better. Fun.

·
Registered
746 Posts
lots of brake dust is what i say......gotta clean those wheels at every oil change.....and the squeal alot too....

·
Registered
655 Posts
what about the rear pedals? mine squeak like a beotch and now that the sun is out im gonna go ahead and swap em. Since they are smaller and dont really do much work as the front, is there any diffrence that anyones aware of bewteen oe stuff and autozone stuff?

·
8,148 Posts
Autozone sells Performance Friction. See if they have those there. Also it is cheaper in the long run to but some cheap rotors than to resurface them now a days.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I got those in the front they work decent i think i got axxis on the back

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem for resurfacing rotors here, I pay 8 dollars for both rotors resurfaced.. :D

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
^damn thats cheap!...i paid like 50 for 2 new front rotors for my car because i couldnt wait for a shop to resurface them and what not, it was just easier to replace them. Albany pads suck, they may be cool when theyre cold, but when they get hot, good luck braking!!

·
Banned
361 Posts
i work at autozone and the albany pads are a very good deal-they have a LIFETIME warrenty, not very expensive, don't make any moise as long as you use some sort of brake quiet, i have them on my 200 and no problems, super quiet, also on my girls car and they are super quiet as well, id go with the autozone albany pads just because of the lifetime so you can get new pads every year for as long as you own your car-late justin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts