SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Carving Corners
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tires are mounted and the rims are now on the car. Yes, i think it looks pretty badass but I am becoming incredibly frustrated with this whole thing. the paint chips extremely easily if you touch the lug wrench to it or a rock hits it. Ive already noticed a few chips on some of the wheels. I dont know what i did wrong. it never said anywhere on the package that you needed to sand or scuff the wheels before painting them, so i jsut hit em with the paint. the first 2 came out great and the other 2 came out alright i guess. I painted them with old tires on them and afterward had some 205/50 azenis mounted to them. the machine ended up scuffing the paint. it didnt scratch. it seems to me that the paint was too soft or soemthing and it just scuffed it up. i brought em home and masked off the tires and sanded the problem areas and repainted. i also put about 3 coats of clear cuz i figured it may help protect against chipping. aparently this wasnt the case as i am seeing chips. im quite confident that i will have to do these over. if so, they are getting the full sand down and re spray. im going in with 80grit and tearing these things up. im jsut curious what i may have done wrong.
was it too cold outside? did the cleaner i use cause the paint not to bond well? do i just royally suck at this or what? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

edit: I know, I know. I need to slam this bitch. Its next on the list.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
As said above you should have sanded and primed the wheels before painting. There is a clearcoat on the rims stock that will prevent adhesion of the paint you are trying to apply, hence the easy chipping, scratching, etc. The clearcoat you apply seals the deal. If you want a matte finish to the wheels they have matte clear coat.

Good luck.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
Mine peel when you hit it with a stream of water :(

I'm just gonna say to hell with it and buy some aftermarket wheels and use the stock ones for the track...

·
Carving Corners
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn i guess i will have to do these over. ehh might as well get it right. btw im loving the azenis. even though i have no suspension mods, the are a much improvement over my $43 kumho ecstas.

·
Too busy to post
600 Posts
Powder Coat them. I paid I think ~30 shipping from RI to VA each way. and $40 a piece for the powder coating. The quality is great, but the color is not what I wanted. Oh well winter wheels, I'm not that pickey.
http://www.jgycustoms.com/jgyservices.htm

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
sand the wheels very lightly to prevent deep grooves. go out and get a can of Bulldog spray paint adhesive promoter..apply 2 coats, paint ur wheels the color u want and gloss them bitches, should do the trick....do at least 2-3 coats of clear coat.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
so... what's the best way to get the old paint off???

·
Carving Corners
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my dad gave me this **** called "oopps" it takes some elbow grease but it works. the can looks quite dated though. dotn know how old it is. i just planned on sanding it down.

·
Big Bossman
513 Posts
tHe iLleSt RiCe said:
sand the wheels very lightly to prevent deep grooves. go out and get a can of Bulldog spray paint adhesive promoter..apply 2 coats, paint ur wheels the color u want and gloss them bitches, should do the trick....do at least 2-3 coats of clear coat.
I used Duplicolor Wheel Paint and followed their instructions:

Granted, the pic is just after I painted them, but the only chipping I got was when the tire place went to mount the tires back onto the rims. Other than that, they can handle pressure washer blasts. However, my rattle can job on the rear bumper can't :)

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
^^wow I didnt even know you painted those, those look badass, my new kosei k1s are getting professionally painted the color of the stock se-l color, and the se-l wheels are gettting painted gunmetal.

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
nizzan4u2nv said:
^^wow I didnt even know you painted those, those look badass, my new kosei k1s are getting professionally painted the color of the stock se-l color, and the se-l wheels are gettting painted gunmetal.
If you didn't live so far away and shipping wasn't so $$$, I'd offer to trade you your SE-L's for my stock rims since they're being painted anyway. Oh well. I just might have my 16's powdercoated more of a gunmetal color. The wheels on my VE car are powdercoated white and they're holding up well, although it's hard to get paint to stay on the center caps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts