SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, different question -

As I have not been able to find a stainless cat that will bolt in that I can afford right now, I am keeping the stock cat on. As we all know there are no real performance gains to be had by switching anyway.

BUT, the cat on my car looks like azz... Can I paint it? Will this screw with its functionality? I figure with a mostly new exhaust system the cat ought to at least look decent ;) I have some rust converter (which worked like magic on that little oil collector thingy on the front of the engine, now wearing a nice coat of gloss black hi-temp paint) and figured I'd get under there and stop the ugliness.

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the constructive input.

G

·
hey man, its not woth painting your cat, it gets too hot for most paints anyway and will burn them off, specially if you have rust converter under the paint, so even if you have high temp paint the rust converter is the weakest link, where is your shroud? you should have a heat shroud installed, they are there for a reason, the cat holds a lot of temperature for a long time after shut down, stops it from melting, heating up stuff. perhapse you could make up a stainless shroud, it has function and will definatly hide your (unsightly?) cat, just make sure to put in a couple of vents to help prevent cooking the thing.
but straight up i wouldnt be too worried about how good the cat looks, but its good you care. but yeah a shroud would be the go there i would say.
chris.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Stine, I'm painting the heat sheild on my cat this weekend. It looks like "azz" too. I'm using 1500 deg. F. Dupli-color silver. I'll let you know how it goes man..

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMG -

I'll look forward to hearing your results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts