SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case some of you guys don't know about this, I'll post my weekend project.

1. Buy your favorite spray paint color, some index cards and some oven cleaner from the local discount store. I bought my two cans of heavy duty oven cleaner for $1 each. and it works WAAAAY better than degreaser/simple green... be warned: this stuff is HARSH so try not to breathe unless you like coughing your lungs out. It contains lye, the same stuff used to clear clogs in sinks/toilets.

2. Use the oven cleaner on the wheels to be painted. Let it sit for a few minutes so it can sink in and get all the grime loose.

3. Use a brush or sponge/rag (wear gloves) to wipe down and get all the crud off the wheels. rinse off the wheels, and use more oven cleaner if needed to get them CLEAN. paint wont stick to dirty wheels, so get them as clean as possible.

4. After you decide your wheels is clean, rinse it thoroughly with water and let them air dry. At this point, you must decide if your wheel's finish is acceptable to you. You may want to sand down small imperfections or strip off stickers/old paint/whatever to make them smooth and clean.

5. Find a suitable spot to spray your wheels: i.e. ventilated and without much wind/dust/dirt or things you don't want to get over-spray on. place index cards around the lip of the wheels. these will keep the over spray from getting on your tires and makes the job much more professional looking.

6. Start by lightly spraying the face and edge of the wheels to see if the paint is not fish-eyeing (due to dirty/oily surface). if everything is okay, continue spraying the wheel.

7.Once the wheel face is fully painted, you can either carefully turn it around and spray the rear/inside. I suggest letting the wheel dry some first, and then attempt to paint the inside/rear. And be careful of over-spray... it gets everywhere without you even realizing it... and you will get lightheaded.

8. Once fully dry, toss your new painted wheels to your favorite Nissan and enjoy.

Before:

After:

·
KASSANOVA!!!
2,047 Posts
looks good. i like the index cards being used. masking takes forever, so im gonna try that in the future.

·
Ruby Red SE-R
1,578 Posts
That after pic is pure sex on wheels man. Nice writeup

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Very nice. When I spray wheels I lay on lots of tire gel on the sidewalls ala Serban's method. Then you wipe them off after. Also good to let the pressure down imo.

·
slave to the grind
2,707 Posts
gonna be painted my b14 rims soon....like the card idea!
and great job on your rims

·
OI!
571 Posts
Cool write up. A cool tip I learned when painting with rattle cans is to set the paint can in some really warm water for a bit, it will spray a finer mist with less big drops. I am wondering why you didn't use any clear coat though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what color is that? gold or bronze? what brand of spray paint? i like them.
Its a Rustoleum Metallic "gold rush" spray paint from Home Depot. i bought two cans and still have plenty left over. I've done wheels with this exact paint and had great success... even with out a clearcoat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks great and really easy to do.

·
Weekend Warrior
4,491 Posts
Very nice!

·
Flying Dutchman
132 Posts
Not the same wheels however, the black rims are a different model. But I guess you only wanted to show the different look of the car, right ? The painted rims came out very nice.

·
Weekend Warrior
4,491 Posts

·
SE-R lover
121 Posts
I did this on a set of Konig Villian wheels I purchased. I took them from gunmetal gray, to chrome. Thanks for the write up. Chrome wheels + vivid teal pearl 200sx = pur sex on wheels lol. I'll get some pics up later

·
8,148 Posts
6 weeks before the chips start to happen. Trust me on this..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.