SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing the PAR dog gears in Jeff's race car we're sharing this year. Everything was going relatively well until I started to install the 3rd/4th slider hub/selector/whateveryoucallit. It is two pieces like stock; one inner splined sleeve that gets pressed onto the output shaft, and the second outer piece is operated by the shift fork and slides on the first piece. Uninstalled, you can slide the outer ring on the inner hub - maybe a little on the tight side, but slides ok. However, once I pressed the inner hub onto the shaft, the outer piece will no longer easily slide over the inner piece. It will get started (maybe 1/8th inch on), but would require light mallet tapping or hard force with your hands if you wanted it to slide any further. At any rate, no way in hell are you going to shift into 3rd or 4th even if I coaxed it far enough on to complete the install. It should slide freely. It was just machined with too-close tolerances. Has anyone else had any remotely similar experience? There are only a handful that have these gears I guess... I'm a bit disappointed.

andris

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I can't help, don't have a gearset, but I'm interested to hear if this is common or not.
Free Bump.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
I am listening as well.

-saaby

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my day job is building WC Touring cars, so I spend a lot of time making things work, doing custom stuff, and scratching my head. I personally did not purchase the gears, my racing partner did, so I am a little distanced from the financial impact :) If I had personally purchased these a couple of years ago when I did not have access to equipment to fix them, or a race deadline to meet, or my current skill set, I would have flipped out. With some high-end, semi-custom race parts I guess there is a certain amount of fussing you sometimes have to do to make things work, but for your average gearhead buying these for his monster SE-R, it would have been a deal-breaker. If we had a lot of time on our hands, I might have sent them back.

andris

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I hope my install goes smoothly. Or, should I leave it for a professional? :confused: :eek: Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
maximus said:
Thanks for all the great info. I hope my install goes smoothly. Or, should I leave it for a professional? :confused: :eek: Thanks again!
Well, if you are familiar with the tranny then you will know right away if it is going to work or not once you get things open and apart. If you don't have a really pressing deadline, I suggest to send it back if things don't work or fit correctly. Now's the time to have a good backup car. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts