SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys---well it has been over a week now with my pace setter manifold back sytem and I thought I would review it for those interested in purchasing one. I bought the header and exhasut for 300 shipped from jcwhitney.com. I payed a mechanic 75 to install them for me. The smell was incredible---the paint is still burning off and smells very acrid and has been doing this for over 400 miles now--when will this end!! :^) The header has turned from black painted to white and black like a cow and looks like ****. The exhaust tip is ridiculous 4 inch polished with yellow insert---very ricey. The sound is very loud at idle and off throttle. As long as the gas is on--sounds great though. I am getting a lot of gurgling, almost back fire noises off idle now and heatshields are dancing all over the place making annoying noises. I will remove the heat shields, and replace the tip this weekend. I am VERY impressed with the power. There is so much more top end, the car feels totally different now. Once the tip is replaced, rattles are stopped and paint burns off, this is a hell of an exhaust for the money.
As far as fitment goes, my mechanic had NO issues. Everything bolted up perfect and the holes were matched to the studs with no problem as compared to rpevious reports. I am very impressed and reccomend this product

mark

·
Registered
765 Posts
i put my pacesetter header on last week. It was kind of a pain to install b/c the holes just barely matched the studs.. I had to place the manifold on the studs than tap each corner a lil until it was all the way on. The paint burned off mine in about 3 days.. But that's with one trip to the 1/8th mile track so it probably got pretty hot hehe. As soon as it turns white, u can take a rag and wipe that crap off and it will look normal.

As far as power goes, I felt a very nice gain. This is probably the best bang-for-buck on an SE-R. it was only 148 shipped and added great mid-topend. Just look at my dyno results below.

I have 2 complaints. First, it did not come with a plug for the "AIV" hole which is right next to the o2 sensor hole. I had to rig a plug with stuff out of the garage (pipe flare plug) The first plug fell out on the way to dyno the car, ugh.. Made another plug but i dunno how long it will hold.
Secondly, ever since i installed the header, the exhaust is louder and has sort of a "twang" or kinda "buzz" sound to it. Not as bad as say a civic, but my exhaust just doesnt sound as good as it did before... Maybe there's an exhaust leak somewhere? I'm going to be changing my oil this weekend so I'll take a look under the car then.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I have the headers, and well, the paint burned off mine within the first day, as soon as the car was started up, they started smoking, and the paint was cracking, anyway, the final product will look like this :D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Its the Pacesetter Crew!!!
waz up , waz up!!!!!

My Pacesetter turned cow on the first run I took it on. Sure, enough the paint chipped off. If you read the notes on the Pacesetter website though, it says the paint is just there to protect it from rust while shipping. I have had ABSOLUTELY no probs since I installed it! Mine doesnt look as bad as Fast91SERs,**** maybe its a high port engine defect :p :p :D
:p , but it does look like a mad cow.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I put a Chikara header on a friends CRX and we dynoed it righ after. I video taped it, and it looked like the engine was on fire. Smoke was pouring out and the paint was flaking all over the floor. How much is the Pacesetter cat back? My '91 needs a new exhaust, and I'm debating whether to buy a new one, or fix the old one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the catback is 150 mandrel bent!!!!!!!!!
jcwhitney.com or
nopi.com
has them for that price

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Eric-
Just get it. Its not that bad. Not for $140. and an extra 20HP.;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking almost 7-10hp for the header, high flow cat, and cat back. I will probably never dyno my car--as I have no idea where there is one near me--but I will get some 1/4 times this friday night

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
EVERYBODY CHIP IN FOR A DYNO RUN AND i'LL DO IT!!:)
( yeah right!! )

I have a dyno by my house in an all Honda SHOP.
Spec R Tuning.
Im scared they'll chew on me,( lol) or maybe mess with my dyno run.
hmmmmm..................its $60 bucks for a run.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah, its $50 bucks for 2 runs here but its really meant as 2 PRINTABLE runs, so you could be runnign 4-5 times depending on how the lines act. You can rent it for an hour and do as many runs you want for $100. Its funny though, when we went to dyno my buddies 98 Mustang GT, he paid the $50 price and we were there 1.5 hours and made a total of 5 runs!!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I was wondering is there any kind of cheap coating you can put on the pacesetter to keep it from looking like that. Like a really high temp paint or something. I'm probably going to get one just because it is kinda like a throw away mod. If it falls apart in 2 years who cares, you really didn't loose much money.

BTW, mark, if you ever need any help with any mods feel free to hit us up, we have a nice long driveway and like working on cars.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
they dont recommend putting any coats of anything on.
Especially "wrap". It tends to cause more rust due to moisture being trapped in. And that could lead to more then one AIV hole ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the offer David. I have a pretty good/cheap mechanic that usually does most of my work. My next project is zex flywheel, act clutch and replace both front axles. I think I will wait for the spring though. Do you ever head up to NED? I have a million questions actually--just post your email--or hit me up at
[email protected]

mark

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Im gonna be hooking up a pacesetter myself, so ill let you know of how it turns out and what kinda gains i feel.....yeah pacesetter!!!! :D

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Pacesetter offers a ceramic coating for +$100. Could replace it for 1.5x the cost of that.

Can anybody give input on how a pacesetter cat fits/performs.. Will it rot out real fast.. How about the cat back? It'll last what 1-2 years in the north east??

I'm sold on the header for sure though!! Thanks..

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Pacesetter has a cat?!!!
Cool!! I just wedged in a test pipe!!:D
The exhaust makes it rattle just a lil bit, but it's still a very quiet ride.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andy--the cat back fit perfect with all factory hangers. I hear the piping will last, but the mufflers tend to rot out after 2 years. The catback is made of the same aluminum that your stock one was, so why would it rust out any faster? That is what I am thinking anyways.

mark

1 - 20 of 31 Posts