SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of this thing? I came across it while browsing through a JCWhitney catalogue. It's less than half the price of the Nismo LSD at only $320. If anyone's ever had one, was it worth getting?

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
There's even been a group buy on it, here. Went for around $270. I think Mike K. wrote a review on NPM or SSC... not a bad upgrade, especially for the price. He did mention to get the Phantom grip with one set of "springs" over the other. I think the choices were green and gold? Forgot which was supposed to be a bit better for street/track combo.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
mpg9999 said:
I can't belive forums, all of these internet experts with big opinions and none of them actualy have any sort of substance to what they state.

Follow the link to the instrumented tests done by NPM. Data talks, opinions walk.

The Phantom grip works very well as an assist to a worn out stock VLSD. On its own on an open diff car like a G20 or a 98 SE or SE-R, it works like a VLSD when its shimmed with the compitition spring kit. Without the springs, its like a worn out stock VLSD, which is still way better than nothing.

When combined with a stock VLSD, its a nice alternative to a more expensive unit. I used to run the Phantomgrip on my SE-R cup car but have since switched to a Nismo clutch type 1.5 way diff. INHO this works better than a quaife as it still provides traction when one wheel is in the air and helps prevent inside wheel brake lock up.

Quaife still turns in a little better.

This is real information from people who have really used them.

Mike

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i got one on my se-r and it works daym well

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
I was chasing a Type R around Grattan Raceway this summer. I could keep up in most places, and could seriously outbrake him (Thanks Carbotech!) However, I would get absolutely killed in corner exit. Despite major late apexes, I would have to wait a good 1 full second longer than him to apply full power.

Driving a Type R (Which has a Quaife-like helical LSD) it requires almost no thought. Just floor it pretty much anywhere, and the car will pull you around the corner.

While neither the Nismo or Phantom Grip setups are torque biasing like a helical unit, would they help me catch that Type R, or would they cause more push as they lock up?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Driven97 said:
I was chasing a Type R around Grattan Raceway this summer. I could keep up in most places, and could seriously outbrake him (Thanks Carbotech!) However, I would get absolutely killed in corner exit. Despite major late apexes, I would have to wait a good 1 full second longer than him to apply full power.

Driving a Type R (Which has a Quaife-like helical LSD) it requires almost no thought. Just floor it pretty much anywhere, and the car will pull you around the corner.

While neither the Nismo or Phantom Grip setups are torque biasing like a helical unit, would they help me catch that Type R, or would they cause more push as they lock up?
Neither contributes to push, even a really locked up phantomgrip with the comp spring package.

I mean the top SE-R cup cars have Nismo diffs.

Mike

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
After reading the NPM article, plus some more in different magazines(they make them for other imports, too), I think this is a great bang for the buck. Heck, less than 1/2 the price of the Nismo unit. I have no immediate plans or time to "track" my car, so this would probably be great for my daily driving.

Course, the point may be moot. My '91 only has 74k on it, do it's probably still working to some extent. I'll have to research and find a quick test, maybe something to add to my "when the hell are all my kids going to get out of daycare so I can upgrade my car in a timely manner" budget.

That list seems to keep getting bigger and bigger... go figure.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
vladha said:
After reading the NPM article, plus some more in different magazines(they make them for other imports, too), I think this is a great bang for the buck. Heck, less than 1/2 the price of the Nismo unit. I have no immediate plans or time to "track" my car, so this would probably be great for my daily driving.
Mark, for daily driving don't waste your money, your stock vlsd is just fine. I have a Quaife, I only notice its there when I autocross. Puttering around town (even in a spirited manner) it doesn't do a whole lot if anything at all.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Calum, thanks... that saves me even more money. Of course, if mine is starting to "slip", it's still a great option. Also, may find the time to start autoxing this year.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I was chasing a Type R around Grattan Raceway this summer
Wow, Grattan :eek: I would imagine good brakes would be a huge advantage at the end of that main straight

Would a phantom grip unit help to slow the aging process of the VLSD? I've got a spare tranny with only 120 000 KM on it (like 80K miles), i wonder if i should pop a phantom grip in that..

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
FastNX said:
Wow, Grattan :eek: I would imagine good brakes would be a huge advantage at the end of that main straight

Would a phantom grip unit help to slow the aging process of the VLSD? I've got a spare tranny with only 120 000 KM on it (like 80K miles), i wonder if i should pop a phantom grip in that..
Its a nice upgrade to a stock VLSD, makes it work nearly as well as a Quaife or Nismo. Get the green comp spring kit, surface the spider gears flat and shim it tight. Works like a charm.

Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mike, did you put in the tuning spacers with your competition(green) springs? When I put in the spacers with the green springs, I couldn't compress it enough to fit the tiny plate holders on. So I just took out the spacers and still had to drill my own plate holders. I am regretting buying the green springs as you can just use a bunch of spacers with the gold spring and get the same amount of spring force.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Driven97 said:
How does the phantom grip improve braking? I can see how it can improve grip by emulating the ground. When the phantom grip units pushes out, it's the same as if both wheels are solidly planted on the ground. But I don't see how that can improve braking distance.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
99SE-L said:
Mike, did you put in the tuning spacers with your competition(green) springs? When I put in the spacers with the green springs, I couldn't compress it enough to fit the tiny plate holders on. So I just took out the spacers and still had to drill my own plate holders. I am regretting buying the green springs as you can just use a bunch of spacers with the gold spring and get the same amount of spring force.
I used a couple of spacers and compressed the crap out the unit in my vice. Basicaly I preloaded it as much as posible with the spacers, so it bairly goes in when compressed.

The green spring preloaded is stiffer than the gold spring preloaded. Frankly I don't even see why they bother with the gold spring.

Surfacing the insides of the spider gears on a belt sander, taking off just enough material to make it perfectly flat helps it work better as well. Thats probably why I could preload mine more.

As far as improving braking, its mostly braking into a turn when you are trail braking, it makes it less likely to prematurely lock the lightly loaded inside wheel. It doesnt work as well for this as a Nismo LSD lets say but you can feel a slight difference.

Mike

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
wow Mike, i wish we had pics of what you did in your install. I assume the shims go between the plates so the spring hits them, and that compresses the springs more? Sounds like a cool idea, but how do they stay in place?

Brent

1 - 20 of 35 Posts