SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a complete NEWB question but.... I was wondering if there is any way a phenolic spacer could be installed bwt the compressor and turbine sides of a turbo. If the heat transfer between the two sections of a turbo could be decreased then the exhaust side would be more effiecient since it isnt losing its heat, and the intake side would be more efficient because it isnt heating the intake air up. I have never taken a turbo apart so I apologize if this is impossible. ~josh

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
They have to be connected by metal.. because that's what holds them together(the cartridge). I don't think that stuff is strong enough to hold a turbo together.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I didnt figure it could be done but it was also worth asking. I noticed you were on the boards when I posted (I expected a respsonse from you!) ~josh

·
fabricator
841 Posts
heat transfer from the turbine to the compressor accounts for a very very very tiny amount of the heat that warms up the air leaving your turbo. Most of the heat comes from the actual compressing of the air, not from heat transfer from the turbo. Making a spacer like that wouldn't do much for cooling air temps.

andris

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks guys! ~josh

·
Registered
825 Posts
Im sure that some of you may already know but I have seen phenolic spacers between the intake mani and the head.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
besides, who would make the custom shaft for you? the spacer would mean you would need a longer shaft.

of course, who doesnt want a longer shaft anyway? ****. :D

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I thought girls liked bigger diameter shafts.. :) Gimme a stage V big shaft wheel.. heheh
Travis

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
unlucky said:
I thought girls liked bigger diameter shafts.. :) Gimme a stage V big shaft wheel.. heheh
Travis
already have one of those. its pretty effective at adding a little life to the party, takes a little while to get going though, ****.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts