SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i don't have any decent ones but enough to get the job done on the outside:

letting you all know who the sexy driver is.

that is an arospeed tunable bomb muffler. it's fairly new and so far all i have is good responses to it. there are cheaper alternatives but i wanted to have some look involved too. a silencer comes with it and is free, but i never use it. the car has an extremely deep tone from 0k to 8k. backfires a lot and is running a little rich but it's not a huge problem right now, or is it? i put on a K&N filtercharger kit to let air flow through more smoothly and a hotshot header is on my list to come soon after i get the new sterio and insurance paid. i just bought 4 new poineer speakers to replace the old stereo and a jenson head-unit that hides the cd inlet behind the faceplate. nice stuff. anyhoo, whaddya think?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Wow man, car looks in GOOD damn shape. Muffler looks phat too. Is the muffler made to fit on the stock catback? Or did you get a shop to weld it on? From the pic looks like you got stainless mandrel pipe going back under the car. Sound files? Does it drone at all? Inlet diameter? And most important- price?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Did I just say "phat?" Wow, been hanging around Mike Jez too much...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea clean looking classic

and is that an accord in the back lowered with some camber problems

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually, i am 16 years old and i've had the car since june. it was an act of god that brought me to my se-r, and i've never regretted it. i was looking for a good autocrossing car, and i found the se-r in the auto trader. i immediatly told my dad and he called about it. after about a week or two of trying to get ahold of him, we finally did and went to look at it. the car has it's dents and dings (little rust on the drivers side front panel, lower left) but i always am reminded "it's a 1991, it could be a lot worse." anyways, he drove it, loved it, and it was purchased. after getting the manual transmission down the only abuse it sees is autocrosses, but it's not that hard on it.

anyways, about the exhaust system. i purchased it from dynamic turbo. it has a 2.5 inch inlet and a 4 inch, angle cut, tip that the gases come out of. i went 2.25 inch piping from the catalytic converted back (no stainless steel, just steel) and had a converter made to fit it to the 2.5 inch inlet. it took the stock cars exhaust system route since se-r's had a stock exhaust that wasn't overly restrictive. the car flows a heck of a lot better now, it's noticable, but she is running a little rich.

sadly, there isn't a place around my part of kansas that will do mandrel bending, so i had to go with the second best kind of bening. i forget what it's called. the price of the muffler was $180 dollars, i forget how much shipping was but ohh well. all together (with the exhaust system done) it cost me 220 bucks. considering the price of a tanabe cat-back for a se-r is around 500, i think i did pretty well.

drone, highway yes. keep in mind i'm going about 75 (3500rpm) and there is basically no muffler there. it "numbs" the ears of a 16 year old, but i've always had sensitive ears. on long trips i most definatly put the silencer in (pic below of it in) and it quiets the car DRAMATICALLY!

snow, not much. it's kansas. we either get blizzards or nothing basically here. i'm not complaining though.

if yah got anymore questions shoot. i'll list the mods i've done to the car so far and include that silencer pic:

mods:

basically oem 7mm spark plug wires
platinum spark plugs
arospeed tunable bomb exhaust
k&n filtercharger kit
matrix pedals (slide on, helps my big feet find the clutch pedal)
4 speakers and a cd player

that silencer pic:

monsoon

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol. no, that is my dads 99 cadilac catera. it had a severly screwed up rear alignment (i like to say there was a dead body in the trunk but ehh
). it has been fixed as of now. for future reference, those cars do not "zig," but more or less "wallow" like a pig. they do handle quite well though when the 3700lbs evens itself out, lol.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
there are few places even in Dallas that do mandrel bending, and if they do they charge an arm and a leg b/c they can... I would rather go 1/4 inch bigger and get a crush bend and save 40-50 bux than blow more money on something not that important anyways.

G

·
0 Posts
2.25 is indeed the best as far as mandrel bent exhaust goes. But if you will be going with crush bent I would go with 2.5.

MarC SE-R

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I went with 2.25 on my race NX just to keep the torque. It's a crush bent system but we went oversize on the dye that makes the bent so it doesn't have the intrusion that it normally would have. If I ever get it running again I'll put it on a lift at work and take some pics.
Blair
91 NX2k (x2, er -2 since both have blown motors)

G

·
0 Posts
Thats a good looking Classic. I really like the red X on the bottom too!

------------------
MarC

96 w/ very little stuff
AIM SER96MarC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts