SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, umm...my car is running bad. it is a 93 nx2000 with around 70k on it. it has ran great for the past three years. back in october, i decided to modify it. i have put a bunch of stuff on it, but only an intake and removed all of the emissions stuff from the engine back in OCT. i am waiting on a det before i do anything else to the engine...well anyways:
i was driving it today, hauling ass around and such...car was running great, as it has for like the last while, and then all of a sudden, it starting jumping and hesitating, and acting really bad...it will hardly idle, and it runs like ****. it has no power whatsoever anymore.... it also sounds funny when it runs..kinda like a damn lawnmower...this really sucks....any ideas?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
possible o2. without some of the emissions stuff it might get a little too hot. just a guess though.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Ok, one big thing to check, make sure your MAF is connected properly. Mine disconnected once while driving in my old '91 SE-R and the car ran similiar to what you've described.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, Timing @ 19, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, um...this is bad..

thanks for the quick reply you guys, but i think i found it....i just got back from my shop, and well it ran like **** the whole way there... i notice that the area around the shifter was getting really hot and the car smelled like something was burning..not oil, but something wierd...the exhaust was also making wierd noises, so i figured it was possible my cat was clogged..

i was going to just disconnect the entire exhaust from the downpipe back, but that is a whore, so i figured i'd check the other **** first....maf sensor:OK, o2 sensor :(looks good, but don't really know how to check it...figure that out later..so for now:OK)..checked for exhaust and intake leaks:OK, checked all other sensors for connection:OK
well, that left the plugs...(now for the bad, bad, oh-my ****ing god i'm gonna go drive off a bridge part)..i pulled them out and noticed a bit of moisture on the rubber plug boots...kinda sparked my interest (no pun intended) so i decided to pull the plugs out...and lo and behold, ALL FOUR PLUGS WERE DRIPPING ****ING WET!!! i mean on both sides..i'm talking ****ing steam coming off the spark tip kinda bad....umm...NO!!!!..this is BAD!!! i do remember driving through one of those invisible night puddles a few weeks back, and i haven't been driving the car too much lately...but i didn't think it was THAT damn deep...obviously it was....

the water on the plugs was not anti-freeze..just water. the oil has NO water in it (on the dipstick) and ummm...this is bad...

my question is: what the **** do i do?

A) scrap this DE, feel like an idiot, learned an expensive lesson, and step up project DET?

B) go kill myself?..or worse: Go buy a honda?

c) do something quick and painless to make this **** work properly, and still step up project DET?

D) quit now, while i'm ahead....

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

[This message has been edited by forget (edited 02-09-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez, what did you have in that thing? A CAI under your airdam or something? You didn't blow out a head gasket, and the plugs are obviously fouled-Bring the car to a reputable shop and have them check for hydralock and see what this will cost you. Hey, you probably want a good, strong motor for the DET, right? Looks like you have a chance to start looking at new motors now...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope...no CAI under the air dam...i just had a filter&adapter, and umm...no spash guard. pretty dumb of me...and what do you mean by checking for hydralock?

and i wanted to take this DE and put it in something else....the engine runs...it just runs like ****....

it's been like three weeks since i did that, and i've prolly driven the car like about a week total since then, and the car has driven fine, less a few backfires....

anyways, umm...is this thing ****ed? i had some guy tell me i could pull the intake manifold off and clean it out and that might help...i don't know, though...

how the **** do you get water out of the combustion chamber? i'm saying, is there anything short of pulling the head off that i can do to fix this thing? umm...yeah.

i guess i just learned an expensive lesson...maybe. or is there any other way i could have got water in there? i know the head gasket is not bad, cuz there is no water in the oil and no antifreeze on the plugs, so i figured it must have been throught the intake...maybe not...

(bear with tme, i'm kinda drunk.......

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
don't trip hehehe. Take out the plugs and take out the fuse for the EFI. ok unplug the Coil, now crank the motor till all the water shoots out. Then let it sit for a bit, put new plugs in and go drive. Since your car ran a lil it shouldn't be bad.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope you did a shot for me
Anyway, Hydralock is simply when your motor ingests water through the intake and it "locks" up your motor(at some point). Obviously, your situation is not THAT serious, as the car's able to drive-Why don't you try what Yellow suggested? That should at least get MOST of the stuff out the combustion chamber.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no...headache...

anyways, i'll do that **** this afternoon..thank you guys...umm..do i need to pull the intake manifold off or any of that **** to check for rust or whatever???

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
umm....

well i did what yellow4g63 said and then put new plugs in it and cranked it up and drove it..

it is running a little bit better, but it still idles like **** and doesn't operate correctly....

it's like it stutters and farts until 3k rpm, then kicks in, stutters at 3.5 to 4k, and then pulls to 7.5k the way it should...what the ****? this is bad. it's like it's clogged up (for lack of a better term)..
anybody have any ideas? i really need to get this thing working. bad.

i had an idea that possibly this 'big puddle' theory could be wrong and that something entirely different is wrong, but i don't know of any other way i could have pure water (no oil or A/F) on my plugs... maybe, ummmm.... i don't ****ing have a clue.

anybody know?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, it is possible...i'm about 90% positive that is what happened. now how do i fix it is the hard part..........

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
pull your plugs again. also, change your oil. you still might have water in your pan.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
changed oil and plugs (again) and still nothing better....this is really starting to suck.

it kinda seems like this is a regular thing (aem makes a product to specifically prevent this). if this is a usual occurance, then why doesn't anyone know how to fix it?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
umm.. somebody told me today that it is possibly water in the fuel system...does this make any sense? i will prolly drain my fuel system and see if it fixes it (if i can figure out how to do it.......

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Did you change the plug wires too? How much water shot out of the engine when you cranked it over? could have some stuff on your valves causing this problem? or it's the MAF since you sucked up water??? Do u know anyone else with a SE-R that you could swap parts an test with?

------------------

Do you smell what the talon is cooking?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yellow4g63:
Did you change the plug wires too? .</font>
nope..they looked okay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How much water shot out of the engine when you cranked it over?.</font>
not much

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">could have some stuff on your valves causing this problem? </font>
didn't check yet

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">or it's the MAF since you sucked up water??? </font>
visual inspection checke out okay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do u know anyone else with a SE-R that you could swap parts an test with? </font>
nope.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
858 Posts
check your dist.cap it may have water in it. dry it up. and get the splash guard cause this happened to me too.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts