SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. I have finally gotten all of my other problems out of the way, now the tranny takes a giant **** on me. Tonight I was driving somewhat hard because I have been having problems since I raised the boost. I finally got all my hoses secured and they arent popping off anymore. Anyways, coming out of 3rd gear, I went to shift and all it does is grind. I had to limp home in 5th since it was the only gear I could find. I get home and I go to neutral(or so I thought) and when I let off the clutch it grinds.
Now, the details: In my failed attempts to get the car into different gears, it was more of a whirring whine than a grind. I installed the ES bushing a while back, and my linkage and things seem to be in the same condition that they were with the exception of a torn mount(the rear mount that's right next to the shifter bushing). The shifter itself hangs up when I try and shift into any gear while the car is just sitting there shut off.

Here's the kicker: I just picked my car up this morning from getting a new rack and pinion installed. The guy said he had to drop the whole subframe to getr the job done. I am not sure what that involves, so could it possible be something associated with that?

I am just not sure what to do anymore. Thanks in advance, Josh

From my searching, I have come up with a couple possibilities:
1. The bad mount is causing all these problems (crosses fingers)
2. The clutch tossed a spring
3. Internal tranny problems (With my luck, this is what it is)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wow dropping the entire subframe for a rack job? Did he explain why he had to go that route?
I would check the trans arm linkages and see if they are properly installed. Since it affects all gears.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
UNDRCOVR said:
Okay. I have finally gotten all of my other problems out of the way, now the tranny takes a giant **** on me. Tonight I was driving somewhat hard because I have been having problems since I raised the boost. I finally got all my hoses secured and they arent popping off anymore. Anyways, coming out of 3rd gear, I went to shift and all it does is grind. I had to limp home in 5th since it was the only gear I could find. I get home and I go to neutral(or so I thought) and when I let off the clutch it grinds.
Now, the details: In my failed attempts to get the car into different gears, it was more of a whirring whine than a grind. I installed the ES bushing a while back, and my linkage and things seem to be in the same condition that they were with the exception of a torn mount(the rear mount that's right next to the shifter bushing). The shifter itself hangs up when I try and shift into any gear while the car is just sitting there shut off.

Here's the kicker: I just picked my car up this morning from getting a new rack and pinion installed. The guy said he had to drop the whole subframe to getr the job done. I am not sure what that involves, so could it possible be something associated with that?

I am just not sure what to do anymore. Thanks in advance, Josh

I had this happen to me. Gotta go to class, I'll post more tonight. (there is a thread I started on the forums about it)

The short of it....internal tranny problem. :( Fixed it myself.

·
Sportbike fevah
1,003 Posts
UNDRCOVR said:
My vote says it's #1. Solved for around $40 at a dealer.

You can VOR (Vehicle Off Road) order the part, and they
will expedite it for a 10-20% additional fee.

I had this happen to me on my '92. It was the worn mount.

My shift rod also got replaced because there was more slop
in the bushing where it connects to the transaxle strike rod
than I was willing to leave. That was another $50-60, IIRC.

I doubt *highly* it's an internal transaxle problem.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts