SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i went to the dealer the other day to pick up my old, dead, SR20DE. I'm polishing the valve cover on it as we speak and am gonna swap it with the one on my new engine...btw...are the exhaust manifold heat shields from a 96 and 98 compatible? my new engine is a 98...in my 1996...and the heat shield is rusted as all hell...i might as well polish the 96's heat shield and try and swap it...this'll work, right?

btw, i'm only on phase one of the polishing process, and it's already looking damn good! if you guys haven't done this trick, you should!

check out http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/valve_cover/cover.htm

god this is gonna be phat..

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
With the 98 engine in the 96, did they just give you a bottom end or the whole thing? Do you have all that emissions crap on your intake manifold???

------------------
Sam Bass
Atlanta, GA
98 SE-R
JWT POP, 91 Intake Cam, ES Motor Mounts, Crossdrilled Front Rotors, Clear Corners, Pacesetter Shifter, Kumho Ecsta 712s, Black Powdercoated Valve Cover (waiting to be installed), Stereo Stuff

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, the intake manifold is the one off my 96 engine...

it's weird

------------------

G

·
A lot of unnecessary work, in my honest opinion. All I did was purchase a container of Eagle One Aluminum/Chrome Polish, a few rags, and go to work on buffing the hell out of it. Took me the better part of 5-6 hours, but it sparkles now.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

AIM: GTS24v

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, this is my valve cover thanks to Naji's helpful write-up. This was from last year and I still haven't put it back on. Gonna try and see if i can get it shinier...

------------------
Fred
99 Sentra SE
http://www.geocities.com/fred99sr20

[This message has been edited by fred99sr20 (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GTS:
A lot of unnecessary work, in my honest opinion. All I did was purchase a container of Eagle One Aluminum/Chrome Polish, a few rags, and go to work on buffing the hell out of it. Took me the better part of 5-6 hours, but it sparkles now.

</font>
Got pics? I'd like to see it.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yaya let us see!

------------------

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mine doesn't shine like Naji's, but I used some rubbing compound with a piece of carpet on a palm sander, then switched to the Eagle One polish. I did all of this with the valve cover on the car. With my sister's car, I took the cover off because she wasn't driving it yet, and sanded it down after I stripped all the paint off. Again I used the Eagle One stuff, and hers is much better than mine. Hers has some scratches in it, but it looks good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
does anyone know anything about the red and black valve covers that we've seen. Are those powercoated? How much to do that? How do you get the raised letters to look metal and the valve cover to be black? I'm very interested in doing that.

G

·
Hard to take pictures with a broken camera.

Honestly, as soon as I can, I'll post some pics.

My friend just bought a new Sentra SE, and even he was jealous at the finish on my valve cover after the polish. His looked like the 6-year-old engine, instead of mine. Ehehe.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when do i switch to 400 grit? how do i know that i'm ready to switch to this? argh, i wish daji had a LITTLE more detail...hehe..

------------------

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
when do i switch to 400 grit? how do i know that i'm ready to switch to this? argh, i wish daji had a LITTLE more detail...hehe..
</font>
LOL
.....well you can do what I did, just gradually increase grit every 20 minutes of polishing. Once you get to a high grit don't go back to a lower grit or you'll scratch up the finish and have to start over again.

G

·
You guys are going to shave some new plug wells in your covers.

Just buy some polish.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could you guys tell me where did you get the Eagle One Aluminum/Chrome Polish? How much does it cost? since I'm interested in it. Thanks!

G

·
JackieC- I picked mine up at the Nissan dealer and it was still only 8$. You should be able to find it at about any of your local auto-parts stores.

It comes in a white container with a black label around it, about 4 inches high and wide.

This stuff is great for use on all aluminum and chrome surfaces. It'll get rid of that ugly black, rusted finish on your tailpipe and muffler too. It shines everything up like new.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I painted my valve cover black back when I had my cams installed. It was an extra that I got off a wrecked 91'G20, I was surprised to see that the first valve covers for the Infiniti said Nissan like all the others instead of the Infiniti symbol that came on my 95 G20. I used a can of spray on ceramic paint by Plasti-Kote, I sanded the surface with a fine grit sand paper before painting the valve cover then I sanded the raised lettering back to the aluminum finish. It's real easy, I first saw this done very neatly on a Honda valve cover. I tried to heat set the paint but I don't think it worked anyway
I let it harden once it was installed. Nice smooth finish. You can't even tell I painted it. I plan on having my original cover polished, but I think I will let a local guy do this professionally. "Sorry No Pics"

paradyme1
95G20t/Auto/Blk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts