SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is exactly what my head gasket decided to do at just shy of 18 psi. AZ SERCA had its first official dyno day this sunday and I decided to see what the car would do. Well, it did pretty good: 333 whp and 312 ft/lbs of torque at just shy of 18 psi. For those who are interested, I'm running the F-Max stage II kit, but with the smaller .63 A/R T3/T04E and JWT S3 cams. The bottom end is stock. We had a hell of a good time, but we freaked pretty good :D when my gasket popped because it over-pressurized my coolant system and decided that it would blow up a hose on the back of my head and also take with it my expensive ass Nismo Radiator. Double poop. Oh well. Made quite a mess at the dyno :D Well, I'd just like to say thanks to all who helped out: Tony, Alex, Louis, Ryan, Ben, Mike, Joe, Justin, Kyle, Kirk, Terry, and all of the other people out there that helped me out. I really do appreciate it guys! At least we can say that we had fun blowing it up :D Well, at least I did :D Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
That sucks! Sorry to har about the car! Are you going to build the motor now? Let me know if I can help you out!

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm sorta unsure of what route I wanna take with the car right now. I just feel that it's a BIG waste of time to just pull the head, replace the gasket, and leave everything stock. I feel that if I'm gonna go through the trouble of taking all that **** off, I might as well just pull the bitch out and rebuild it! But, the only thing holding me back right now is that I'm flat out BROKE! I mean "zero money and owe people" broke! I'm debating on taking out a loan and just getting it done. But, we'll just have to see. Thanks for your help yesterday man, I really do appreciate it! And thanks for the offer; I'll hit you up when I decide what the hell I'm gonna do.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sucks!, I thought it was a lot worse than just the radiator going since there was a whole of black smoke right before it let go. Like you were saying though... if your going to pull it all off, you might as well not leave it stock.

·
Registered
782 Posts
nsracer said:
Well, I'm sorta unsure of what route I wanna take with the car right now. I just feel that it's a BIG waste of time to just pull the head, replace the gasket, and leave everything stock. I feel that if I'm gonna go through the trouble of taking all that **** off, I might as well just pull the bitch out and rebuild it! But, the only thing holding me back right now is that I'm flat out BROKE! I mean "zero money and owe people" broke! I'm debating on taking out a loan and just getting it done. But, we'll just have to see. Thanks for your help yesterday man, I really do appreciate it! And thanks for the offer; I'll hit you up when I decide what the hell I'm gonna do.
Have you though of just throwing in some stock DET internals? That woudl be a cheaper way to get lower compression! I have a set of factory DET rods and (3) DET Pistons! You would have to buy another piston or a new set if you wanted, but that woudl be a cheap alternative!

1. You will have the car running
2. You will have low compression
3. The car would be running until you get the $$$$$ to build a new motor!

Let me know!

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, that seemed a bit strange to me too Ryan. There was also a huge gash on one of the hoses on the back of the block; I'm surprised we didn't see that when we were under the car!

I've been thinking about that Louis. I have a set (all 4) of DET pistons and rods at home, but I'm still unsure... Like you said, I just might do that for now and start saving up for a future build up. How much boost did you do on yours before you cracked one?

·
Registered
782 Posts
nsracer said:

I've been thinking about that Louis. I have a set (all 4) of DET pistons and rods at home, but I'm still unsure... Like you said, I just might do that for now and start saving up for a future build up. How much boost did you do on yours before you cracked one?
I boosted 18-19 psi on pump gas or 7 months! The car was making power! You will be able to run more boost on pump gas than you would with DE pistons! That is about the only advantage of having lower compression! Well, another advantage would be that the lower CR will help reduce overheating issues!

·
Registered
756 Posts
That really sucks! Its a very good thing you decided to trailer it out there. Hopefully you can get it back together soon! You can always start selling some plasma :) In the mean time, you can just throw the turbo and all the other good stuff on my car so it doesn't just sit there. ;)

Thanks again to Louis for really helping my friend out with his M3.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WhiteSER said:
In the mean time, you can just throw the turbo and all the other good stuff on my car so it doesn't just sit there. ;)
Sure, just as long as I get to drive your car from noon to midnite everyday while my car's down. :D

But yea, I'm glad we trailered it out.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Can you post the dyno chart or did it poop during the first run. I am still learning about turbo sizing for lag and power trade-offs and am considering the turbo that you have (I think).

You already said it was a T3/T04E with .63 A/R turbine housing. Are you using the 50 trim compressor housing?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Hey David, sorry to hear about the poop! THAT SUCKS! My question is, have you found out WHY it pooped? What made the car overheat so quickly?? Detonation? You're running the 4 bar program right?

Frank
96 200sx SE-R
F-MAX Stage 2(350wheel hp)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jacen (and anyone else who's interested), you can go here to see the dyno charts of the car.

Jimmy, thanks for the offer.. I'm still debating on what's gonna happen to the car. But, I'll keep that in mind.

Frank, my theory is the following: when we took the car to the dyno I had more than half tank of 91 octane. We tried to use some of it up the day before (I had a full tank!) and also tried to get some C16, but neither worked out; I ended up with half a tank of 91 and only found 108 octane. :( Well, come dyno day, I dumped in the couple of gallons of 108 that I had and probably ended up with a mix of about 75% 91 octane and 25% 108 octane. Not the best for high boost, but I thought... ehhh, what the hell, why not :D Well, I soon enough figured out why not. When I pulled the plug on #1, all of the ceramic was gone :eek: and just a little stub of the tip was left. So, I came to the conclusion that my cheap gas and 18 psi caused #1 to detonate so bad on the top end (we couldn't here it 'cause I was running open downpipe and I also run an open wastegate) that it basically popped so hard it blew the head gasket, which in turn allowed boost into the water jacket and eventually blew the radiator and one of the hoses on the back of the head. :( Oh well, that's what happens when you have Ben B. behind you saying "Ooooo, your car is soooo cool!!!" and you decide to get boost happy. LOL!!! J/K Ben!! LOL!!! Oh well, I guess. But, like I said, it'll be back :D BTW, yes, I am running the 4 bar. There were no problems with it going lean or anything, it was just the cheap gas mix that caused it to detonate so bad that it eventually popped.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
And you were not running water injection right?

-saaby

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Jacen (and anyone else who's interested), you can go here to see the dyno charts of the car.
There is air fuel ratio at the bottom. Around 3000-3500 it is above 15. Isn't that really bad? 14.7 is stoich (right), and I thoght turbo cars ran around 11-12 air/fuel for safety (prevent detonation). Am I looking at something wrong or confused? :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts