SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so whenever I am starting out from a stop--mostly in 1st gear--I hear one "popping" sound. It is the weirdest thing. It only does it once and it just started a couple weeks ago. I don't know wtf is going on but I would feel more comfortable if it didn't make noises like this. It isn't and engine noise, it is definately either suspension or drivetrain. I have no idea. Any input is appreciated greatly!

-Mitchell

·
gee, eh? 16...
559 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I'm positive it's a drivetrain issue, however I'm not really sure what it could be. Kinda feels like a rough but quick engagement.. but with no bogging.

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know? It's kind of scaring me lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Do you have polyurethane bushings? In cold weather mine seize up after the car sits a while. When I first start moving (first bump that compresses the suspension at all) I can hear them pop free.

·
gee, eh? 16...
559 Posts
Do you have polyurethane bushings? In cold weather mine seize up after the car sits a while. When I first start moving (first bump that compresses the suspension at all) I can hear them pop free.
I meant, I get the pop noise when it's cold or warm.

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get EVERYTIME I start and stop... Cold, warm, sleet, skeet, snow, rain... Always does it. It seems to be getting louder, but that might just be a case of the Tell Tale Heart.

I only have polyurethane bushings for my motor and tranny mounts, which are prothanes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It might be axle related. If you call Marty at raxles.com he can probably help diagnose.

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I used to have a GA16...

·
gee, eh? 16...
559 Posts
I wonder if it's the drum brakes slightly engaging once in a while, due to age or poor design.. do you have drum brakes? It doesn't feel like it's a brake issue though, definitely feels like it's popping from the front. Weird stuff..

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my friend who is a BMW mechanic help me look at it and I think we have it narrowed down the the passenger side axle cv joint. Makes sense because right now all the grease that is supposed to be in the outer boot is on the inside of my wheel, I didn't see that before...

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Worn engine torque mounts - the radiator and firewall ones. Your engine is rotating more than it should, something is getting 'dragged' across something else because of it.
Jer

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The engine doesn't budge. We tested this by turming the ebrake off with the car off but in gear and pushing back and forth on the car. We couldn't simulate the noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts