SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one done this to their CAI? did you feel the difference as far as performance, sound and acceleration? as far as the adapter goes, who sells the adapter with an inside diameter as big as the pop? got my hands on a pop no adapter from the convention.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I thought my intake was loud with just the CAI and the regular K&N, but with the POP on there, it is super loud now. Just ask the Civic Si guy in VA that went under the bridge with 4 of us last weekend.
It was nice to meet you Sunday. I saw you in the lobby Sat night/Sun morning (depends on how you see it), but I didn't know who you were.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:

has any one done this to their CAI? did you feel the difference as far as performance, sound and acceleration? as far as the adapter goes, who sells the adapter with an inside diameter as big as the pop? got my hands on a pop no adapter from the convention.

</font>
That **** will scare a VR6 with an intake when you go WOT. Since you are down call Hotshot for a MAF adapter or write the list and find out who has a POP adapter for sale. I will for you tomorrow too. BTW, the MAF adapters from HS are $20.00.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool HS it is . every one I met at the convention was cool. the wife said it's ok to go every year as long as I don't spend to much on the car. ha ,did she marry the wrong one. well no vtec did you feel alittle some thing with the pop to CAI?I know more people have done this on the forum, come on fellas input.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:

</font>
This is from the April 09 Sports Compact Car. Hope this helps!

On the advice of SE-R.net editor Mike Mager and list member Justin Choi we decided to experiment with a cold air intake from Place Racing (PR). Mike's 200SX picked up two tenths in the quarter mile when he installed PR's air intake. From a table of list members, quarter-mile times and listed modifications on se-r.net, we determined that other list members have had substantial improvements in quarter-mile times with this intake as well.

PR offers two different types of cold air intakes. The first uses a K&N cone type filter, and the second is designed for use with JWT's POP charger air filter system. We opted for the second because the POP Charger has a much bigger filter than PR's K&N cone. In addition the POP charger had the aluminum air horn filter base, which we felt could produce a flow advantage. The PR cold air intake is a 3-inch mandrel-bent steel duct which goes from the throttle body to the airflow meter, and then through the inner fender to the filter, which is located in front of the drivers-side front tire. The filter takes the place of a huge resonator box was used by the stock intake.

The filter is shielded from splash and dust by the plastic inner fender liner, so water ingestion should not be a problem. For extreme wet weather, you can remove the pipe from the airflow meter to the filter and attach the filter directly to the airflow meter. When installing the cold air intake, the hole in the inner fender which goes from the stock airbox to the resonator box must be enlarged so the intake pipe can fit through. PR supplies a template with each air intake to make locating the hole a snap. We used an air-powered die grinder to make quick work of the sheet metal but an electric drill and a hole saw would work fine.

The PR air intake increases power in three ways. First, it reduces the restriction of the stock intake. The stock plastic intake pipe is full of places were the inside diameter goes from almost three inches to as little as two inches and back again. Also, the plastic intake pipe is full of ribs and convolutions, which can cause turbulent air flow. The smooth mandrel bent tubing of the PR air intake has none of these potentially flow-impeding restrictions.

Secondly the PR intake only picks up cold air from outside the engine compartment. This air can be up to 50 degrees cooler than the air in the engine compartment. Each 10 degrees of temperature-drop generally produces a power gain of 1.5 percent. After driving Project SE-R, the tubing of PR's air intake is cool to the touch even when everything else under the hood is baking hot.

You can see why we assumed the Maxima air flow metere would improve power. The SR20DE's air flow meter is tiny even when compared to the SR20DE's throttle body. Still, our tests proved that bigger is not always better.
Finally, since the ducting of the cold air intake is a long, single-diameter tube, a resonance builds up in the tube similar to that of an organ pipe. This resonance can result in improved power at a certain rpm range. This is a gain just like the one we experienced with the AEM air intake, and to a slightly lesser extent in the Iceman intake during our Honda Civic intake test in the September '97 issue.

Going back to DRP's dyno we were amazed by the results. Project SE-R recorded a gain of eight horsepower at approximately 5000 rpm in the fat part of the powerband. Peak horsepower was increased by about two hp. Horsepower was increased even right off of idle. The seat-of-the-pants feel was much improved, with the engine feeling much more torquey with more punch. Overall, the motor feels bigger, almost like it gained displacement. While driving, the PR intake makes a neat sound. When the window is down a throaty roar can be heard at WOT. When the intake produces the maximum power gain you can hear the resonance effect, which is similar that of the AEM Honda air intake.

We were unable to do the rolling test with the Vericom like we did with the Honda intakes in our intake comparo, so our gain may be off by a few horsepower. However, the gain was large, and obvious enough by the seat-of-the-pants estimates that we are confident it is real. In addition, we tested the car on a hot, humid day with the temperatures in the dyno room way over the 90's, so some of the cold-air benefits were lost, meaning much of that gain was from the smoother pipe and resonant effects. Temperature effects are not reliably measured in a stationary dyno room, but pipe diameter and resonance effects are.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Ian will second this:

The CAI sucks if you have an NX2000. There just isn't enough airflow to it, because of the design of the front spoiler.

You're better off with just the POP intake, or the dry setup (intake near battery, but not in fender).

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
there are too many knuckle-heads down there at Place Racing to know what you are talking about when you ask for that adapter. Personally I wouls just cut the hole, screw the POP to the other side, and insert the pipe. I'm sure there's a better way but unless you get a good technician down there (at PRI) then you'll just hafta wing it.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spnx:
Ian will second this:

The CAI sucks if you have an NX2000. There just isn't enough airflow to it, because of the design of the front spoiler.

You're better off with just the POP intake, or the dry setup (intake near battery, but not in fender).
</font>
Yeah, I do second it. Thats why I sold Jose (Redman007) my POP I won at the convention. For that very reason. I have a intake close tothe CAi set up but it is not in the fender. He will benfit much more because there is airflow to the POP in the fender with the classic. BTW, Redman lives like 5 minutes from me, small world huh? I will post another picture to further show what I mean, hold on lemme get it....
Well I can't find the picture but I have the video of the 1998 Long Island Convention and it has a classic with an airfilter visable thru the bumper opening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts