SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well, since all the threads from the past week are gone, i thought i'd post up a fresh one! anyhoo, has anybody ever heard their exhaust make a *pop* sound after flooring the pedal and then letting up for the gear shift? i only notice then, not when i'm driving civilized. any ideas? TIA.

stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, EL indiglo HVAC, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
Kicks ass huh?

</font>
Huh?
that didn't exactly answer my question.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I noticed it more with a straight muffler as well. Also, a JWT ECU seems to make it worse. It's kinda cool actually. I don't mind it. Glad to hear others have it too. Now I know nothing's busted

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Also, a JWT ECU seems to make it worse.
</font>
noooo!! i don't wanna hear that! i've been seriously contemplating doing the ecu swap w/ a 95-97 se-r ecu. i guess it's not too bad considering all the advantages an ecu gives ya.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">quote:

Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Also, a JWT ECU seems to make it worse.

noooo!! i don't wanna hear that! i've been seriously contemplating doing the ecu swap w/ a
95-97 se-r ecu. i guess it's not too bad considering all the advantages an ecu gives ya.</font>
By worse I mean it's just a little louder. It doesn't make it worse by adding more of them. And yes, the positives far outweigh the negatives of the ECU.

G

·
Isnt that back fire?
Maybe its the sound barrier being broken.
My boys street ported RX-7 used to do that.
It doesnt sound too healthy.
Where are the mechanics at on this board?
help a brotha out.

------------------
-

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
I have a 92 Classic and I also get that same exhaust pop when I shift or when I get on it. My car actually pops so hard that a blue flame about 1 foot long comes out of my muffler (straight threw muffler). I also have no cat so I guess that is the cause of that. The pop does not bother me at all. I sort of like it.
My friends are always like Holy **** a flame came out of your exhaust. As you noticed what I said . They always see my exhasut
. SE-R'S RULE!

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Has anyone been sitting behind a big block V8 when it is pounced on then they let off of the gas immediately and you get a huge pop pop pop pop sound and there might also be one huge pow in between there. Same thing. Your car is basically backfiring from what it sounds like. My '91 NX use to do that with Borla exhaust and no resonator. Hell it might still do that, I sold it so I don't know anymore. Jeremy, you out there. Does it still pop when letting off the gas from high rpms?

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
its not bad for the car. it happens to alot of aftermarket exhaust systems. flames are cool.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Stockish TC
1,275 Posts
It's called afterfire in most places, it is just the fuel that didn't get mixed in properly, beind burned in the catalytic or heated exhaust pipes, it is actually not a bad sign, it's better to have a slightly rich mixture than a lean one, my 2001 SE makes the same sound with the Stromung Cat-Back and with no exhaust it gets really really bad, but I love it.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
whew! i was about to post this same topic till i stumbled across it.

i get that same noise too...its only happened twice, and the first time i pulled over to check for leaking fluids and smoke. the weird thing about it was that when it popped, my gas pedal pulsed real quick.

ah well...she still runs strong. good to know its not just my car

-Chris

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well, after hearing my friends waaaaayyy modded 99 prelude doing the same thing, i asked him if he had any ideas. he didn't know either but he also said that it isn't "BAD" for the car to do it. he mentioned, only when you're accelerating (not shifting gears) and then a backfire occurs is when you should be worried.

many thanks to my sr20 brethren!!

G

·
JCGator has it right, it's "afterfire", unburned gas vapor that makes it's way to the exhaust system and explodes from the heat of your cat, or in my case cat's, and midpipe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoPC:
Your car is basically backfiring from what it sounds like. My '91 NX use to do that with Borla exhaust and no resonator. Hell it might still do that, I sold it so I don't know anymore. Jeremy, you out there. Does it still pop when letting off the gas from high rpms?</font>
Heh. It's Jerome. But this post is way old.

Anyway, the last time it did it the gaskets blew, and I guess it was because my fuel injector went bad.

Now the car runs fine, but runs rich. I even hooked it up to the consult @ Nissan and we couldn't figure it out. I might take all my injectors to get cleaned. Don't really know what else to do.

------------------
1991 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R
nnnyeah.com

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Earlier there was talk of a resonator... what the heck is that?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
on most cars there is a bulge in the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter-this is the resonator. it's filled w/ fiberglass IIRC. from what i was told it burns out fairly soon after the car has been driven around. it basically removes some of the resonance b4 the muffler. on my custom piping from the muffler shop, they just left it off, telling me that if i REALLY wanted one, they'd gimme it for FREE. the resonance doesn't bother me that much, for now.

------------------
stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, EL indiglo HVAC, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts