SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1995 G20t 5 spd for sale. I'm going to go look at it, but the dealer says it's in great shape. The problem is that it has 157,000 miles. So, here's my questions for you all:

1) Is it worth it to buy a 157K SR20 engine? I know a lot of them last longer than that. I have done a lot of work on my SR20, so I'm confident I can repair the little things, but if something major happens...

2) How does a G20 compare to an NX? I know it won't be as quick, but will it still feel quick? Handling?

3) Are there major differences between the 1993 NX and 1995 G20 SR20? I know the '95 is a low port, but what about redline, speed limiter, etc...? I'll also go look on SR20DE.net.

TIA,
Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
883 Posts
Whats the price? My friends 94' G20 just passed 200k, without any major work done to the motor. So, if all looks good on the G20, I would say 157k isnt that big of a deal. As far as the comparison to the NX, I dont know, never been in a NX. Compared to my friends who drive a Si, my G20 felt "quick" (for all its worth
) The 95' G20 redlines at 7500, I have nevere hit the speed limiter, and I have been up to 125mph. I have heard that the G20 either has none, or is at 130mph. But I have heard more people say we have none. Home my blabbering helps

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
i just bought an SR20DE w/ 170k. runs perfect, i just had to tune a few things..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

G

·
0 Posts
Your NX is going to be a little quicker because of different (better) transmission gearing, and a lighter body. I'm currently on my soon to be forth G20. My first was a '91 and had 185k just before my accident with no major problems. The only thing I changed was the starter and EGR. The engine isn't the major thing; they're all the same (G20, Sentra, 200). Where's the car from? If it's from the east coast, look for road salt wear on suspension parts, exhaust bolts, and whole undercarriage. If the miles were from freeway driving, I'd say it would be a decent buy. If it was a lot of short trips, I'd say pass. If your going to keep your NX and want your G20 to be the main driver, I'd switch trannys for performance, it's free..basically. That is quite a bit of miles for a '95. If the price is terribly in your favor and the body is straight, I'd go for it. If not, I'd keep looking. But hey, if the engine runs good,it's cheap, and it's clean, it sounds like a decent buy. Also, your NX with the low-port intake will have more stock hp to the ground than the high-port intake in the G20.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I figured I could put '91 - '93 cams in the G20 and gain some horsepower that way.

Swapping the transmission is over my head. I don't think I'd even want to attempt that. Plus, wouldn't the axles have to be transfered as well? I tohught the G20 transmission used different half-shafts or something.

The G20 would be my everyday and winter car. I just want to make sure it will be fun. I just thought I could get something a little more upscale than the NX.

Ben
'93 NX

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
Thanks for the responses.

I figured I could put '91 - '93 cams in the G20 and gain some horsepower that way.

Swapping the transmission is over my head. I don't think I'd even want to attempt that. Plus, wouldn't the axles have to be transfered as well? I tohught the G20 transmission used different half-shafts or something.

The G20 would be my everyday and winter car. I just want to make sure it will be fun. I just thought I could get something a little more upscale than the NX.

Ben
'93 NX
</font>

You and me both. I am looking for a G20 too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to let everyone know that I looked at the car lastnight and I don't think it's worth what the dealer is asking. 1st off, my general G20 impressions:

I like it. The engine still pulls well on a G20. I thought it'd feel really slow, but it doesn't. I definitely like the feel of the car overall. The seating position felt a little wierd to me, like I sat too high, but I think that's because my other two cars are an NX and a Miata. I forgot how long the stock 5-spd throws were. The car definitely needs a short shifter. What was Infiniti thinking when they put in the window switches? I found them all, but they are not in the most convenient place.

Okay, now my review of the particular car I looked at:

'95 G20t, 5-spd, loaded. 157K miles.

Dealer wanted $6000 for it. He said there was room to bargian, but they already had a lot invested in it (trade in).

highs: The engine and drivetrain seemed very well maintained. Clutch felt good and the engine felt and sounded great.

problems: One fog light burned out. Power antenna does not retract. Lots of paint scratches and chips and the paint looked pretty thin in a lot of areas. Wheels were pitted. Someone put the worst piece of crap tires on that car, probably 4 for $100 specials. Leather was worn, but overall in good shape. Steering wheel leather was really worn and scraped up.

I would consider the car for $4000 or less with the condition it is in, but I don't think the dealer is going to go that low. I guess I'll continue my search. It's a bummer because it's really hard to find a 5-spd G20, especially a G20t!

One question here... Does the VLSD make that much of a difference? Keep in mind that one of my main uses for this car will be winter driving.

Ben
'93 NX
'99 Miata

1 - 7 of 7 Posts