SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched many times but i need to know if changin the high pressure line is gonna be hard??? i was thinking of doing it ghetto and taking a high pressure hose and connect it to each side and clamp it real good.....will that work???

·
Registered
496 Posts
The banjo fitting on the high-pressure line has a flat on it. Hold this with an adjustable wrench while you break the banjo bolt loose with a breaker bar or ratchet. This will hold the fitting in place and keep you from, say, cracking the hard line at the brazed joint.

David

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anyone know the part # for the replacement high pressure line? I need one for my '93 SE-R. Is the 1.6L line the same as the SR20DE one? Should I go brand new from Nissan, new from a parts store or go junkyard hunting?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Classic SE-R said:
i wouldnt get one from a junkyard because you are replacing a 15 year old high pressure line with another 15 year old high pressure line. it might last a year or it might last a week.
Agreed on the used replacement parts.

I've been checking around online (Parts America & Autozone) and they seem to cost nearly $100. :( :confused: WTF!

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I'm one of the many bone heads who broke the high pressure hard line while replacing the high pressure soft line.

Just thought I'd share what I did, because removing and replacing that metal line that snakes down from the strut tower to the driver's side of the PS rack just seemed like waaaay too much labor.

I found a junk car for parts, chopped off the hardline with the banjo fitting and fitted it to my car by using a pipe flare tool, a pair of female compression fittings, and the corresponding male union. Took about 20 minutes, and cost about 20 bucks, with the majority of the cost being the flare tool. I can get pics if anyone cares about what I'm talking about :)

·
all motor
1,820 Posts
yea i broke the hard line trying to get the high pressure soft line off also. there is NO way it would have come off it was just stuck. i ended up just pulling the hardline of a parts car at pick and pull. it was easy to change, hardest part was tryin to get the holding/mounting brackets off. i ended up dremeling them off. but the broken hardline slid right out, and the new hardline slid right in in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
645 Posts
A friend and I did the removal and install of the old and new hoses today. Everything worked out great. It really wasn't difficult, but it was messy. :D

Thanks again for your help. :biggthump

·
Registered
265 Posts
NismoSER said:
24mm was on mine. Its BIG.
Sorry for digging up a thread that is 3 months old. I am in the process of replacing the high pressure line, and the 24mm nut at the bottom of the pump is a b!tch to get a good angle to losen it. What tools did you guys use to break that nut lose?

Thanks,
Nelson

·
all motor
1,820 Posts
nelam said:
Sorry for digging up a thread that is 3 months old. I am in the process of replacing the high pressure line, and the 24mm nut at the bottom of the pump is a b!tch to get a good angle to losen it. What tools did you guys use to break that nut lose?
Thanks,
Nelson
i was able to get a good angle on it by jacking up the passenger side of the car and turning the wheel to the right(i think right but it might be left) and reaching the nut from the kneeling position on the side of the car. you have to remove the small splash guard thing on the inside bottom of the wheel well. by using this technique i easily unscrewed the bolt

·
Registered
265 Posts
Classic SE-R said:
i was able to get a good angle on it by jacking up the passenger side of the car and turning the wheel to the right(i think right but it might be left) and reaching the nut from the kneeling position on the side of the car. you have to remove the small splash guard thing on the inside bottom of the wheel well. by using this technique i easily unscrewed the bolt
That's assuming the passenger side wheel being removed?

I kinda attempted your suggested approach using a 24mm wrench, but with the wheel still mounted :squint: . I tried to get to it from below as well. The stupid driveaxle is directly underneath the nut.

Thanks,
Nelson

BTW, what part of Bay Area, are you from?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts