SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a turbo kit for my classic next year but was wondering what I should do to check my motor to see if it will handle the turbo. Otherwise I'll just get another motor and build that up for a turbo. Also should I get another tranny and build that for turbo power too? Any help would be appreciated and I'd more than love to join the turbo club.

Mel

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
What car do you have and how many miles? If you have high miles and you've kept good care of it meaning VERY regular oil and filter changes I wouldn't worry about bearings. If you have high miles I would do a compression check to make sure everything on the top end is in spec.

Otherwise as long as she's running well with grounded MAF, EGR in good shape, tune-up stuff in order, I'd say go for it. I have 42k on my 98 SE and probably won't do a compression check since #1 it has such low miles and #2 I don't have the tools to do a compression check
Just make sure you get JWT to make you an ECU for the 9.5:1 compression (if you are keeping the stock pistons) and you're set.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 92 Classic. My first motor blew and I had it replaced it about 94K. I have about 163K now. I've been pretty good about changing the oil and all that. Would it be more feasable to just get another motor since I'm planning on swapping the pistons out anyways?

Mel

·
_______
3,640 Posts
If your replacing pistons and sheet I'd just get a $299 joby from K.wantabe. Get it on a motor stand at home and pull it apart. Thats what I'm going to do sooner or later.

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I agree with Mike G. If you blow the new one you always got the old one. Like Mike Jez

1 - 5 of 5 Posts