SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking around the turbo Buick website these past few days and saw something that has been mentioned maybe once on this BB. Water /alcohol injection and adding xylene to your gas tank at fillup.
The T-Buick guys have use a mix of rubbing alcohol and water that is injected when under a certain level of boost. The mix tends to be 50/50. The water cools things and the alcohol restores some of the lost octane (or something like that). I was wondering if anyone here has tried this as they also run high levels of boost and it really seems to help.
As for the Xylene, I have yet to get a mixture formula. You can get Xylene at the local paint or hardware store. It raises the octane rating of your gas much better than the crappy octane boost stuff they sell at ridiculous prices. In fact, octane boosters tend to use various mixtures of Xylene, Toluene, and other additives. While I can't remember exactly what rating they achieved, I do know it was in the 104-107 range. Not bad. The stuff in the bottle at Checker etc. only tends to raise it .3! I wonder if us N/A guys could use it and advance our timing a little more-or if it would even be worth it.
If anyone here has knowledge of using either in the SR20DE/T, please reply. I'm interested to hear how they work in our cars. BTW, don't use Acetone or too much Toluene. Aparently they can be corrosve and melt plastic parts in higher concentrations.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Corrections------they achieved a 99.5 octane rating with 70% 92 octane and 30% Xylene. Acetone WILL melt any plastic parts in your fuel system, but it's ethanol and methanol that are slightly corrosive.
BTW, the water/alcohol mix is injected in a similar manner to a water injection system an import would use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts