SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have brought my SE to the dealership for my service engine soon light. I found out that the EGR system isn't working correctly. I made sure that the EGR tube was seated properly on the header. I can't find any leaks. In looking through the FSM that a fellow forum memeber sent me (Thank you) it has many diagrams of what to do to diagnose the actual problem with the EGR system. However, many of the steps include checking the EGR solenoid and temprature sensor with a diagnostic computer. I don't have one.

Because I have the Hotshot header on the car, the Nissan dealership told me they don't know the "flow" on the current header. Therfore, they can't tell me if the EGR is functioning properly due to the aftermarket header. This particular dealer is NOT my usual one, rather, a new one in the city I just moved to. They were fairly useless, other than ripping me for $82.

So, my question is this: Should I bring the car to a different Nissan dealer, and tell them that the EGR system isn't working properly, and to see if they can diagnose the culprit (temp sensor, solenoid, rats in the intake manifold) OR Should I go to a local mechanic that my friend's dad goes to? Dealer or mechanic? What would you do?

------------------
1999 SE Limited: JWT POP, NGK Wires, OBX Muffler 2.25" exhaust, Hotshot header, Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX, 17 deg. timing
http://post.uwstout.edu/l/lilienthala/car.html

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
How experienced is the private mechanic with imports? EGR systems should be easy to diagnose and repair. I'm not too sure what the dealer means by "the flow", but an aftermarket header makes no difference in the way the EGR system operates.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Not heating up the temp sensor? WTF? Unless he's talking about a heat controlled solenoid (which I'm pretty sure the SR20 doesn't use), he's full of it. See if you can try this: locate the EGR actuator, turn on the car and push the diaphragm up (to lift the pintle off it's seat). If the car begins to stumble and idle like ****, the EGR tube is fine; either the actuator or the vacuum source to the valve are malfunctioning. If it doesn't change the idle, the tube is clogged. Take it off and clean it.

</font>
You would think Nissan fixed that problem with all the problems the 91-92's had with EGR's opening up too early. Damn OB2 is a bitch!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that the EGR valve is stuck open. Is there a way that I can close it? I have gone to feel it a couple of times, and it seems like it is always up. HOWEVER, I will double check.

------------------
1999 SE Limited: JWT POP, NGK Wires, OBX Muffler 2.25" exhaust, Hotshot header, Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX, 17 deg. timing

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not heating up the temp sensor? WTF? Unless he's talking about a heat controlled solenoid (which I'm pretty sure the SR20 doesn't use), he's full of it. </font>
There is an EGR temperature sensor.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Because I have the Hotshot header on the car, the Nissan dealership told me they don't know the "flow" on the current header. Therfore, they can't tell me if the EGR is functioning properly due to the aftermarket header. This particular dealer is NOT my usual one, rather, a new one in the city I just moved to. They were fairly useless, other than ripping me for $82. </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Well, I don't know how experienced the mechanics are. (just moved to the area.) The Nissan mechanic told me there that it was PROBABLY because there wasn't enough flow through the EGR tube, thus not heating up the temp sensor, thus not opening up the EGR valve. Is he full of it? </font>
I would be pissed at that dealership. They made you pay them and they didn't help you?!I would take your receipt in and the FSM pages and ask them if they did all those steps and if all the sensors are functioning correctly. If they did check all the items, and I don't know if I would believe them, then maybe he's not full of ****. BUT, he probably is full of ****.

Do what David said first.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I turned the car on, and it idles rough to begin with. However, I can push up on it a bit, and it does run even rougher. I can only move it up about 1 inch or less.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
How experienced is the private mechanic with imports? EGR systems should be easy to diagnose and repair. I'm not too sure what the dealer means by "the flow", but an aftermarket header makes no difference in the way the EGR system operates.

</font>
Well, I don't know how experienced the mechanics are. (just moved to the area.) The Nissan mechanic told me there that it was PROBABLY because there wasn't enough flow through the EGR tube, thus not heating up the temp sensor, thus not opening up the EGR valve. Is he full of it?

------------------

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Not heating up the temp sensor? WTF? Unless he's talking about a heat controlled solenoid (which I'm pretty sure the SR20 doesn't use), he's full of it. See if you can try this: locate the EGR actuator, turn on the car and push the diaphragm up (to lift the pintle off it's seat). If the car begins to stumble and idle like ****, the EGR tube is fine; either the actuator or the vacuum source to the valve are malfunctioning. If it doesn't change the idle, the tube is clogged. Take it off and clean it.

------------------
David

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Well, now you know the tube is not clogged and does in fact have "flow". Now what I would do would be to take the car to a different dealer and explain to them what the car does and let them diagnose it. If *they* tell you the tube is clogged (or doesn't have flow), tell them what you did (the test on the EGR) and tell them to stop bullshitting and fix it. Most likely cause is probably gonna be a bad actuator or a bad signal to the EGR system; either of which the dealer can test with a consult.

------------------
David

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let you know, this morning I turned the car on, and it was running okay, and then I pushed up on the EGR, and it seemed to stick up, and then idle really bad. It looks like I may have a sticking EGR valve. What would cause this?

------------------

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yea, you're gonna have to have someone with an OBD II scan tool (generic, which suck IMHO) or (preferably) a consult check what part of the EGR system is failing.

------------------
David

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help! I am going to bring it in next week sometime. I can' WAIT to get this thing fixed finally. Let's just hope the dealer I go to this time won't be such an ass.

------------------

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Some service writers are idiots! That's bullshit that he said techs don't like to talk to the customer; a tech would rather talk to the customer and here the complaint straight from them rather than here it from the service writer or see it on the work order. What a dumbass. I would've asked to speak to his manager, but then again, I'm an asshole
And he still has the balls to say that an aftermarket part will void the warranty. BS!! It will only void the warranty if they can prove that the replacement of the part caused the malfunction. Aggghhhh!!! Service writers suck!!! Too bad I'll probably end up being one
LOL!

------------------
David

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">? He says, "Anything aftermaket; intakes, exhausts, etc." THis is BS!!!! He says that Nissan is very strict with their warranty issues. If this is the case, why did I NOT ONCE have an issue with the Minnesota/Northwest WI dealers? </font>
It's not Nissan, its the indivudual dealerships.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">BS!! It will only void the warranty if they can prove that the replacement of the part caused the malfunction. </font>
Tis true.
Now we know the header is related to the EGR, but they can't say that installing the header broke the EGR system until they determine what part of the EGR system is not working. I don't think a header installation could damage any of the components in the EGR system except the actual tube, and since that is fine...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know where I can get the documentation (From SEMA or whatever) to show that this should (if I didn't bust it) be covered under my 6 year 60,000 warranty that I purchased from Nissan?

------------------

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
http://www.sema.org/warranty/

from that page:
"Get it in Writing

If a dealership denies warranty coverage, they should be willing to do so
in writing. Have the dealer describe the failure which is causing your
problem AND how the dealer believes the aftermarket product installed
is responsible for the problem. Keep an accurate log of all contacts and
correspondence in addressing the warranty denial."

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh boy. I guess I need a new EGR valve. Dealer says over $400 installed!!!! Now the question is, did my Hotshot header have anything to do with it? One guy said that simply becaue I tampered with the emission controls, that my warranty is void. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Should I be able to get this under warranty?

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh boy. I dropped the car off at a different dealership. I get in there, and I start explaining my prediciment to the guy. His first phrase..."tampering with the engine voids out your warranty." Fine. Ok, I don't care. So I ask to speak with a mechanic. He says, "You had just better bring it itn."

Me: "I realize your mechanics are busy, is there a chance tht I can just qucikly talk to a guy?"

Service Rep: "Well, they are all tied up right now."

Me: "Frankly, I want to ask a mechanic before I give you $76 for you to tell me ther e is nothing wrong with my car."

Service Rep: "Well, they don't really like to talk to customers."

Me "C'mon...give me a break"

Service Rep: "Well, how about this guy..."

And I got to talk to a mechanic. Jeeez!

So I told the mechanic my woes, and he said it sounded like my EGR was probably bad, but they would hook the thing up and check it out. I HOPE they don't take me for a ride! Just to bring in the damn thing is $76!!!!

Then, just out of curiosity, I ask him what voids the warranty on the car? He says, "Anything aftermaket; intakes, exhausts, etc." THis is BS!!!! He says that Nissan is very strict with their warranty issues. If this is the case, why did I NOT ONCE have an issue with the Minnesota/Northwest WI dealers? I dispise going to dealerships!!

I will let you all know the outcome.

------------------

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Dude, that is such BS!!! How can your header ruin your EGR valve!?!?! If that were true, can you imagine the type of lawsuit HS Performance would have on their hands!?!? How did you tamper with your emmisions equipment (according to them)?

------------------
David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts