SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the 11" Fastbrakes kit on my '98 200sx for about a year now.

Well, lately the front driver's side is making noise when I step on the brake pedal... The sound is a cross between a grinding noise, and what sounds as though something is loose.

I took it to my mechanic, and he said he inspected everything but found nothing wrong. He suggested that it maybe that my pads are too hard. I am running Wilwood Polymatrix compound Q pads, which I believe is one of their softest compound pad.

Have you guys had this problem? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks folks!

-Christian.

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
I havent had any problems like that, but you may want to check your pads, also check that your bolts have not come loose form the torque members and maybe the rotor is rubbing on the caliper.. you will see scrapes on the caliper spacers....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I took a closer look at the front driver's side caliper, and I noticed that one of the brake pads is a bit loose.

I am going to apply some "anti-rattle" goop and see how it works out.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
One of my calipers was making a creaking noise when my pads would thin out after a long period of time. The problem turned out to be that the caliper was not FULLY centered around the rotor. Make sure the caliper is centered and if not use spacers to center it. The problem also turned out to be that I had an older design caliper bracket. You might have the same issue. What does your bracket look like. It should have 6 bolt holes in it...thats right 6. Since that bracket is used for both the b14 and b15 brake kits.

-saaby

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saaby said:
One of my calipers was making a creaking noise when my pads would thin out after a long period of time. The problem turned out to be that the caliper was not FULLY centered around the rotor. Make sure the caliper is centered and if not use spacers to center it. The problem also turned out to be that I had an older design caliper bracket. You might have the same issue. What does your bracket look like. It should have 6 bolt holes in it...thats right 6. Since that bracket is used for both the b14 and b15 brake kits.

-saaby

Well, after applying some "brake quiet" goop to the brake pad backing, the noise has been reduced. It still makes noise once in awhile but not as much as before.

I think I may have the older design caliper bracket, the one I have has only 4 bolt holes, it sort of looks like a streched 'H' with holes at each end of the vertical bars. See my poor attempt at a sketch below:

|---------|

Should I replace with the new bracket? If so, should I contact Brian at Fastbrakes to get it?

Thanks for the help.

-Christian.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had a few issues similar to the ones above with my Fastbrakes set up.

1. Grinding sound - My noise occurred when I was off the brakes. Turned out the caliper wasn't spaced correctly, like Saaby said. Check that you have the correct washers or the correct bracket. A grinding, metal to metal sound is not normal. You might have a rough grinding noise during your first stop of the day, if your rotors are a little rusty, but after that...grinding is not normal.

2. Creaking noise - I would notice a creaking noise when coming to a slow stop. I'm pretty sure this was due to brake dust and other dirt and grime building up around the caliper pistons. Because I cleaned them up real good with brake parts cleaner one day after bleeding my lines and the creaking went away. Now I clean them that way every time I rotate my tires.

3. Pads have play between the caliper and the rotor - Some play is normal - say 3mm - 5mm, unless someone is standing on the brakes. You will probably notice a little more play as the pads wear down, but the caliper pistons should keep the pad relatively snug to the rotor. With the wheel off, you should have some play in the rotor too. Just in and out play (in towards the motor, out in the direction you took the wheel off). Play around the wheel hub is bad - you should have a hub-centric ring that came with the kit to keep the rotor properly centered on the hub.

Also, remember that you have a product that is intended for track use, so you might notice more squeaks, groans, and rattles than with stock equipment. I must admit, I was a bit put off by the issues I was having with this kit - until I went to the track. Hope you get things sorted out.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
VRtualboy said:
I've had the 11" Fastbrakes kit on my '98 200sx for about a year now.

Well, lately the front driver's side is making noise when I step on the brake pedal... The sound is a cross between a grinding noise, and what sounds as though something is loose.

I took it to my mechanic, and he said he inspected everything but found nothing wrong. He suggested that it maybe that my pads are too hard. I am running Wilwood Polymatrix compound Q pads, which I believe is one of their softest compound pad.

Have you guys had this problem? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks folks!

-Christian.
Its a racing type brake and its not designed to be quiet. On my street cars I put a spring on the big cotter pin between the pads that put outward tension on the pads, this made the brakes a lot more quiet on the street.

On my SE-R Cup car, I can outbrake most other cars, the brakes really work well. A this weeks race one spot had us slowing from over 135 mph to about 40 and I had absolutly no fade. Just ask the AD22F equiped car that rear ended me when he attempted to match my braking.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
also check out your wheel bearing, I had the same problem, I rebuilt the caliper, I replaced the caliper and pads and still had the same problem (but no tire wobble or odd wear) and finally looked at the bearing (last possible thing I could think of) and it was bad, took care of the problem, the problem with the Wilwood caliper is it is not floating, it is stationary, so any wobble at all will cause noise, and going at XX amount of speed will sound like a loud squeal

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Its a racing type brake and its not designed to be quiet. On my street cars I put a spring on the big cotter pin between the pads that put outward tension on the pads, this made the brakes a lot more quiet on the street.

On my SE-R Cup car, I can outbrake most other cars, the brakes really work well. A this weeks race one spot had us slowing from over 135 mph to about 40 and I had absolutly no fade. Just ask the AD22F equiped car that rear ended me when he attempted to match my braking.

Mike
Just like Mike said, These are "racing brake pads." All racing pads are design/suppose to make high shreaking sounds when applied. At the 03 Serca convention I first use a racing brake pad, Polymatrix C, and made a lot of noise each time I stepped on the brake. I mean even a slight tap of the brake it made a noise like a pig was being killed :). I talked to some of the trusted members and they school me about the different classes of brake pads.

On the way home from the convention I changed my brake pad to the "EBC Green Stuff" brake pad that originally came with the Wilwood kit and the noise was gone. Well, not exactly gone since the residue of the Polymatrix was still on the rotor. But after about 20 miles or so of tapping the brakes from light to light the noise slowly started to disapper.

I love my Wilwood kit as well! I love the brake response it gives me. For this reason I will be buying another kit for my NX.

Suggestion: Change your Polymatrix (racing brake pads) to EBC or similar to it.

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
On my street cars I put a spring on the big cotter pin between the pads that put outward tension on the pads, this made the brakes a lot more quiet on the street.

Mike

Is this patented? :)

I think I'm going to try that next and see the difference.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Well, patented or NOT, can Mike or you (after you have done it) post a picture or something??????

The concept sounds just GREAT, the implementation though eludes me !

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts