SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Red Emblem
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have one for everyone. I was going to start my car the other day and it wacked out on me. I turned the key, pushed in the clutch and there was this "click" noise from under the hood then all the electrical went dead. After a few minutes it all came back on, but the car now does the same thing everytime I try to start her now.

I did a search and found this thread:

car wont start!!! help!

This guy has the exact same problem as I do, except I tried unpluging the ECU and putting in a different one and it didnt work. I checked all the ground cables, even made sure everything was even more grounded. I checked all the power wires and releys, fuses, and mad sure the ECU wasn't fried. I triple checked the harness and harness adapter, all good.

Even though this might be trivial the only thing I can think of that I did diffrent was turning the key then pushing in the clutch. Normally I push in clutch then turn key. But like I said, I dont see how that can fry everything.

Here's the setup:

98' B14 with Gti-R engine
Gti-R ECU
Moded B14 wiring harness
Adapter for Gti-R ECU to B14 harness
Trunk mount battery
I/0 gauge wire going from battery to engine bay
4 gauge ground kit through-out engine bay

I put a volt reader on the power line in the engine bay before it gets destributed and when the power is dead, so is it. Could I have a bad battery? And if so what the hell would make it work again after a few minutes?

Also to note, I can turn the key to the on postion and get power, after the system resets, and turn on lights, roll up/down windows, listen to radio, things like that. Its when I go to start the car the it goes "click" and dies for random intervals of time.

Any help would rock guys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
well the clicking noise usually indicates a bad battery connection...so i would check to make sure the connection to the battery terminal is very tight first. But you said all electric works until you turn the key, which means maybe the starter isn't getting power. So you could also have the starter tested. I don't know much about this...im just suggesting some things.

·
Red Emblem
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've double checked all the connections to the battery and starter, along with most other connections in the engine bay. Still getting the same problem.

I'm going to pull the starter off and test it, make sure its all working properly.

Thanks bro

Anyone else have any ideas while I'm pulling the starter off?

·
Red Emblem
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, just ran a full check up on the starter: both starter and magnetic switch are in working order. Decided to see if the car dies under same conditions but without the starter in. Car doesn't die. So I went into a deep search and tried turning the headlights on. Upon turning the head lights on the electrical died again, just like last time. no "click" now. Safe bets can be made that the "click" was the sound of the megnetic switch on the starter trying to engage.

Well, make to square one. Anyone?

·
SR20DEviant
2,131 Posts
I had this problem, and I foudn it to be the battery terminal connections. I THOUGHT they were connected, but whenver I disconnected them adn re-attached, it would start just fine. So I figured that was my problem. I'd buy some new terminal connecters and go from there. it's work a shot, and I think that is your problem dude. It' seems so simple, I KNOW, but try it out. Good luck.

·
Red Emblem
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed! Thanks guys.

Turns out that once i took a volt meter to the body my grounds were on diffrent planes somehow. I regrounded the battery to a stable plane and all is good now.

You were right, always the little things you miss. *head desk*

·
going thru life @ 1 bar
2,156 Posts
i had similar problem once, but mine did it to me at the grocery store. I drove it there cut it off, walked in took about 10 mins game back out and the car wasnt getting any power. It took me 4 hours to figure out it was the ground, that was about midnight, so i used a set of jumper cables to jump from battery to engine and drove it home and fixed it the next morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts