SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
since 2001
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having some problems installing the B13 Progress rear sway bar into my NX. I've searched the forums and found mention of "install issues" with the bar in the NX, but no in depth details on how to rememdy the problem. It seems that the heim joints that Progress provided me are too long. No matter the adjustment of the heims the bar will bind on the bottom of the strut. I called progress and they suggested that I mount the L bracket upside down with the heim pointing upwards as usual, but this only results in the bar binding against the control arms instead. I ended up reinstalling the factory bar for the time being.

Asides the muffler clearence issue has anyone had problems simular to this one? Or perhaps I recieved the wrong parts from Progress. Anyone suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I am having a similar problem on my 1991 SE-R. I first installed the L bracket upside down and got the interference with the control arms. Then, when I looked at the instructions I saw my problem and turned it around. But now the top edge of the bar just barely touches the bottom of the OEM strut. These two parts move together as the suspension moves, but I think this is the cause of the minor rattling I get on jiggly roads.

I might try grinding the bar a little to eliminate the interference. Or I might just go back to the stock bar. One thing I did notice is that the AGXs on my other SE-R don't seem to hang down as low as the OEM struts on this one. So SE-Rs with aftermarket struts may not have the problem.

In any case, please keep us apprised of any solutions.

Thanks.

Bill Conner

·
Her 1st track day in 2017
2,105 Posts
billc said:
One thing I did notice is that the AGXs on my other SE-R don't seem to hang down as low as the OEM struts on this one. So SE-Rs with aftermarket struts may not have the problem.
I have AGX's on my SE-R, and I haven't had any issues w/ the Progress rear bar. I am interested in the fit on the NX b/c I will be transfering over my AGX's and bar to my NX in a couple months.

Good luck w/ finding a solution,

Josh

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I haven't put mine on yet. I'll let you know when my SHig's get here and I have a chance to install all of it.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Can you take some pictures to give us a better idea of the problem?

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
hybrid D E T said:
Please do, anyone else have this bar in a NX?

I have the bar on my NX with no problems. I have had AGX's with stock springs and now have ShockTek struts. The bar is off my car for the winter and I have stock suspension on right now, so I can't take any pictures for you.

Please take some pictures... I'm curious why your's is not fitting.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
McCoy said:
I have the bar on my NX with no problems. I have had AGX's with stock springs and now have ShockTek struts. The bar is off my car for the winter and I have stock suspension on right now, so I can't take any pictures for you.

Please take some pictures... I'm curious why your's is not fitting.
I have the Progress rear bar on mine, and no binding issues for me. I have the AGX/GC combo, with the spring perches mount almost at the bottom.

·
since 2001
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aknapp said:
I have the AGX/GC combo, with the spring perches mount almost at the bottom.
This is the same way I have my Ground controls set. I think Progress gave me the wrong Heim joints and they are too long. When I picked the bar up from them, they had to pack it up last second and perhaps they made a mistake. I will check back with them this week and if thats not it I will then post pics up.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
hybrid D E T said:
This is the same way I have my Ground controls set. I think Progress gave me the wrong Heim joints and they are too long. When I picked the bar up from them, they had to pack it up last second and perhaps they made a mistake. I will check back with them this week and if thats not it I will then post pics up.
I'll measure the length of my Heim joints and post here so you can compare to yours. :)

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
So you have the heim joints adjusted down so short they are bottomed out and you are still running into fitment problems?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I ran into a few issues when I switched from AGX to koni inserts. As some of you may know the koni insert uses a bolt on the bottom of the strut body so I ran into clearance issues with the Progress bar.

The quickest solution would be just to set it on the full soft setting but that is no fun. I had my bar set at the medium setting and it was binding with the bottom of the strut just slightly. My solution was to shorten the the hiem joint. I cut probably a 1/4" out of it at least. This gave me just enough clearance.

As for the comment about it hitting the muffler. Yes when the car is unladen it will probably rub against the muffler but this shouldn't be a issue when the car is on the ground. Remember you should be setting the hiem joints so there is no pre-load on this. To accomplish this you need to have the car fully loaded (meaning setting on the ground).

·
since 2001
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
paNX2K&SE-R said:
So you have the heim joints adjusted down so short they are bottomed out and you are still running into fitment problems?
Yes, I have the heim joints completly bottomed out, and with the L bracket in the upright position, the heim is still too high and causes the bar to hit the bottom of the AGX strut. I have thought about cutting about a 1/4" off of the heim joint, but am hesitant since it may booger the threads up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
With Kyb GR2, no problems with my install.
If I can get to it soon I'll post a pic of the joint.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
I measured the Heim joint. It's approx. 2 1/4 inches from the "bottom" (the "O" part) to the top (where the eye bolt screws in).

Good luck sorting it out. As PantyChrist said, the bar rocks!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Just do what I did and cut it down. You just need to round the bolt portion so it threads right. A simple grinder can take care of that.

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
SOUNDS like this bar is some work!!!! keep us updated on the progress becuase i am interested in getting one for my nx.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts