SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me that I'm an idiot and how to detach the PS pump from the block? I've searched, but I need a newbie step-by-step guide. Seriously, I've never felt more stupid.

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm... nobody knows?

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Can someone tell me that I'm an idiot and how to detach the PS pump from the block? I've searched, but I need a newbie step-by-step guide. Seriously, I've never felt more stupid.
I don't remember step-by-step, since I usually have to fumble around awhile to get it out! There are 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the block. You will need to remove one of them in order to get the pivot bolt loose. You will need to remove it, the pinch bolt at the top, the big banjo bolt at the bottom that attaches the high pressure hose, and the return hose at the top. It's not a fun job by any means.

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember step-by-step, since I usually have to fumble around awhile to get it out! There are 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the block. You will need to remove one of them in order to get the pivot bolt loose. You will need to remove it, the pinch bolt at the top, the big banjo bolt at the bottom that attaches the high pressure hose, and the return hose at the top. It's not a fun job by any means.
I'm assuming that drains the fluid however? I am wanting to detach it from the block, leaving the hoses attached. There's not a lot of room in there, and I just can't figure out how to take it off!

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I'm assuming that drains the fluid however? I am wanting to detach it from the block, leaving the hoses attached. There's not a lot of room in there, and I just can't figure out how to take it off!
Yes it does. Why are you tring to remove it from the block?

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does. Why are you tring to remove it from the block?

So that I can pull the engine. Last swap I did, we left it on, but Ben did that whole portion - Plus it was a B13 which had quite a lot less "stuff" than my obd II g20.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Never swapped a G20 engine, but it's allot easier to disconnect the hoses from the pump and keep it on the engine than trying to pull the pump off. I doubt there's anything behind or below the pump that it's going to get hung up on when you drop it. So I vote for leaving the pump on.

C

·
SR20 ENTHUSIAST
679 Posts
Never swapped a G20 engine, but it's allot easier to disconnect the hoses from the pump and keep it on the engine than trying to pull the pump off. I doubt there's anything behind or below the pump that it's going to get hung up on when you drop it. So I vote for leaving the pump on.

C

^^ Yup. I'm with you on this one.

Chris

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... Is disconnecting the lines the only way to drain the fluid? There is no information on pump removal in the FSM.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Well there's no drain plug, so disconnecting the hoses is the only way to do it. If you're really anal and want to minimize the mess, suck the majority of it out with a turkey baster, but there's still going to be a fair amount in the lines.

I just put a drain pan on the floor under the big (22mm?) bolt, and let it drain from there.

FYI - That big banjo bolt has a copper washer on BOTH sides.

C

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I need to get some more cat litter...

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Got no buckets?

C

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got no buckets?

C

I do; but so far, I've made quite the mess. Coolant primarily. Do you just undo the banjo bolt on the bottom and get out of the way I guess?

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Bro, you're making this into something bigger than it really is. Just put a bucket under it, and take out the bolt!

C

·
Registered
420 Posts
the hose coming from the resevior the ps pump, if you detach it from the pump end and insert a large bolt or other object in it, you can save the fluid and mess made, but you're still have to detach the high pressure hose from the top that has a large banjo bolt on it!!!

·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bro, you're making this into something bigger than it really is. Just put a bucket under it, and take out the bolt!

C
I know :D This is my first big job 100% by myself - so I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed. Plus it's taking a loooong time for me to get things done. I always had Ben Davis to help in the past - I guess I didn't pay enough attention!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts