SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
the original 4-door SR20
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just say this, I have driven the 98 T/A and 28, Si and NSX (thanks DR. Collins), 01 GT and Focus, 98 Eclipse and 02 R/T to name a few. All were Manauls, and none of them can come close to the short throw feel of the pacesetter, ES bushing, and new control arm.
On se-r.net, one person stated it was the closest thing to a race car. I never driven a race car, so I couldn't tell you. I don't care what year sentra you have, get the SHORT THROW SHIFTER!!!
REASONS
1. Feel, the throw from 1st to second is 1 to 1.5 inches. Shifts are tight and crisp with absolutly no slop.
2. Cost, pacesetter STS $59 from JCW, control arm $34, and ES bushing $7 both from Courtesyparts.com.
3. You can do it yourself!
Please, if you have questions on how to, email me directly.
:D

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
jamse-r
1. Feel, the throw from 1st to second is 1 to 1.5 inches. Shifts are tight and crisp with absolutly no slop.
When I installed my Pace Setter SS I was amazed at how short the throws was. I adjusted my throws to the shortest possible adjustment before running out of threads.
I also bought the ES Shifter Bushing and everything feels much tighter. You don't realize how sloppy your factory shifter is till you get a SS and ES Shifter Bushings.

Darren

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
You make the shifter sound great man. Hey are Nissans popular in Deutschland? I was there all summer looking for Nissan freaks, down by Ulm, and found few to none

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's a great price!

$59 for the STS from whom?
JCW = JC Whitney?

!

G

·
Do you need to remove the exhaust and cat to take the shifter out from the bottom--or can everything be done from the interior? My Integra was a pain--took about 6 hours---but I have a friend with a new civic--and he could get to everything from the interior!

thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You need to remove a heat shield and disconnect the front of the cat to get access. It's not a 6 hour job though. Assuming you don't have rusted bolts on the cat it'll take you an hour max.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
You don't have to remove the cat to install the SS. I would look at the bolts on the cat and if they look a little iffy than just take the heat sheat off and proceed. If you don't lower the cat or remove it the job will be a little tougher. You will need a swival head socket, or something to get to the bolts at the aweful angle.

Darren

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
I can't find the control arm on courtesy's website, where is it?

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Its311Pete said:

When I installed my Pace Setter SS I was amazed at how short the throws was. I adjusted my throws to the shortest possible adjustment before running out of threads.
I also bought the ES Shifter Bushing and everything feels much tighter. You don't realize how sloppy your factory shifter is till you get a SS and ES Shifter Bushings.

Darren
hey Darren,

i did just the es bushing several days ago and still marvel at the difference every time i drive.. not only is the feel more precise but i don't have to watch my shifter dance when i blip the gas anymore.. for a while i thought my twitchy shifter was a sign on impending 5th popout.. guess it's the little things in life.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Okay,
for those that have replaced their shift rod (the one that cannot have the bushings replaced since it is riveted) what is the Nissan part number?

I'm looking to get one, there are a few online Nissan dealers that sell at a discount and you can even get an online quote but you need the part number.

In fact, does anyone have or know where to get the 'fische' for the B13?

TIA
(sitting at home with the full ES bushing set getting ready to make a bushing press on my lathe).

·
Registered
329 Posts
bump for the Nissan part # for the control rod.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
nissans control rod # you have to buy the whole bar, the es bushing is either 7-1103 for 91-94 or 7-1109 for 95+, but both will work, control arm bushing is 7-3109 for future refrence when you order them through me :D
j/k

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know the bushings aren't replaceable in the control arm. I was looking for the Nissan part# for the whole control arm.

As far as the rest, I bought the whole hyperflex suspension kit for $114 from www.suspension.com. Came in 2 days. I think Courtesy wants $189?

Just bought the shift control arm, motor mount, front crank seal from Scottsdale Infiniti. 25% off list and free UPS ground (which for me is 2 days away).

·
Registered
38 Posts
PS shifter

I have a 94 SE-R can some one tell me exactly what I need to buy (parts, #"s etc.) besides the shifter from JCW.

I would like to install this good the first time.

Thanks!:)

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
emartin75 I have a 94 SE-R can some one tell me exactly what I need to buy (parts, #"s etc.) besides the shifter from JCW.
OK other than the shifter itself. I would highly reccomend the Energy Suspension shifter bushing. It was only $7.95. It will tighten up your shifter feel. Go to a parts dealer and tell them you want a ES shifter bushing for a (your year) SE-R.

Sorry but I don't have any part #'s for you.

Darren

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go to www.suspension.com and find their Energy Suspension page. They have great prices and ship fast and cheap. I bought the whole Hyperflex setup (front and rear bushings, front and rear sway bar bushings, shifter bushings for $114).

I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
So what is the issue with the control arm . Do I need to buy this also?
Well I know there is a control arm or a stabalizer arm going from the shifter housing to a bracket. I would think that it would also help the stability of a shifter. But I don't think it is commonly replaced.

Darren

·
Registered
329 Posts
The control arm is the rod that connects the shifter to the tranny shift rod itself. There are two joints in it with bushings that cannot be replaced (the joint is riveted over).

The ES bushing kit for the shift does nothing for this control rod. The ES bushing kit is for the rod that connects to the tranny case and the shifter assembly to prevent engine torque from popping you out of gear.

Sooooo, to get the best shifting you need to replace the OEM control rod with a new one from Nissan.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here's the Nissan part# for the shifter control rod (the one that has bushings that you CANNOT replace
34103-53J00
Cost was $36.66 from Nissan of Scottdale.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts