SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's unofficially started. Ben Moses is on his way to my place to grab the NX a-arms and press the ES bushings and ball joints into them. We will be driving to Indy to his dad's place where he has a BIG vice and we think that will work. Since my NX was down and he wanted the a-arm bushings he decieded to borrow mine and work with them so his car didn't have to be down. Now we need to roll the NX out of the garage tomorrow so we can do a clutch job on Jason Schymanski's 99SE so those a-arms have to get back in today.

Tomorrow's plans include installing a clutch (ACT I think) in Jason's car, swapping Jason's stock b-pipe for my Courtesy one since I'm selling the pre-shortened b-pipe to him, putting the Quaife back in the NX transmission and putting it back in one piece, and then pulling the NX oil pans to drill and tap the NX's block for the turbo oil return line since I will be transferring the turbo to the NX. If we have time and are crazy we also could get the JWT clutch out of my Sentra and replace it with it's stock 45k clutch in preparation to sell it off in stock condition. There's a number of other things we could do as well to the NX or my Sentra but I don't think we'll have time.

Attendees:
myself
Ben Moses (DETized 92 SE-R)
Pia Mikeal (friend who enjoys the whole wrenching thing)
Derek Greaser(?) (96 G20)
Jason Schymanski (99SE)
Alex Samardzich (95 Civic EX w/B18c swap who also wants to built a DETized 240)

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

[This message has been edited by Ben98SentraSE (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were successful with the ball joint, but NOT with the a-arm bushings. we could get both bushings in with relative ease. When we went to get the metal sleeve in however it would push the bushing on the other side back out. The sleeve would always get caught in the middle on the inner lip of the other bushing. Very discouraging. We will not be able to move the NX out of the garage so we will either have to do it on the street (freshly paved as of yesterday which is a good sign) or in the big parking lot at my work.

Any advice on the control arm bushings?

·
rally wanksta
250 Posts
Ben, where did you come up with Greaser from?? What time are things getting going? Oh yeah it's Tapper not Greaser.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't think that was your last name. There is a "Derek Greaser" on the SE-R mailing list which is why I guessed at that. 10AM. Get over here!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHAT A TIRING DAY.

We got the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate on Jason's car. With 5 people working and one watching in my tiny garage it was even more tiring trying to walk around everyone and everything. The Quaife unit and NX tranny have not been touched. The Courtesy B-pipe is on Jason's car and my (soon to be Eric's) Courtesy muffler is sitting in the garage since it was raining outside and my car was out there in the grass with it's ass in the air getting the exhaust off it. We are (at least I am) too tired to put the exhaust back on my car and I was planning on running tomorrow without a muffler anyways en wait for Eric's stocker to arrive. So I will drive to work tomorrow with just a downpipe and cat.

Working under the car in the grass in the rain sucks big hairy monkey balls.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took some neat pics today.

NX with no tranny, halfshafts in the hubs zip tied to various body parts so as not to hang on the ground, and control arms in with no bushings in them:

Driver's side axle zip tied detail close up:

NX rolled out into the backyard almost in the alley with no key so the wheel was locked straight ahead, of course with no tranny:

Detail of the "scrapheap"
in the backyard:

Otherside:

More proof of no tranny:

More in next post...

[This message has been edited by Ben98SentraSE (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last but not least, this will be a classic.
My Sentra in the backyard in the rain with is ass WAY up in the air to swap the exhaust, NX with hurriedly put back on t-tops, windows rolled up, and engine bay covered with bath towels
:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
343 Posts
HA! s'about time I get back on this thing

·
Registered
343 Posts
You forgot to mention the fact that we 'straight-up-homey-G-money' style BROKE a relatively large vice during the ball joint install!! Yes it was quite amazing as the the vice simply split in two and a few pieces of some sort of alloy shrapnel went flying! So, that called for a trip to Sears Hardware in order to purchase the largest vice available. To our surprise it wasn't $1200 like we thought it might be. It was only $69. Aight that's all for now.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
N2000SE on AIM made the comment on that last pic:

"looks like it was raped by the nx, who is wiping off with the towels"

LMAO

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I haven't pushed the clutch yet, but the flywheel kicks ass. Why didn't the car come with this flywheel?

Many thanks to Ben and Ben. They just crawled right in and went to work. I had to slow them down so I could learn what they were doing. Ben D closed his garage and then open the door to the house to air-condition the garage. That made a huge difference. And probably cost a couple pennies.
We had tools scattered all over the place. When you have three people trying to use the same size socket it can get a little messy.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to do ANYTHING on Ben D's tranny upgrade, other than look at the quaife unit. Sorry Ben. I wish we could have put the quaife in with the rest of the tranny internals. Let us know when you want to try again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice! Very nice. I wish I could have stuck around to see what the engine revved like. I can't imagine that flywheel! It was rediculously light! Have fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts