SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Im am Always reading where people say things like "yeah Im going to go ahead and get a 3 inch exaust now since I know im going turbo later"

My question is this: When you go from N/A to a DET does the stock t25 or t28 bolt up to the stock exaust? Like Say I wanted to leave my car all stock and just drop a DET in with the stock exaust would it work?

·
Classic is Classy
618 Posts
You prolly need a down pipe, but the downpipe should be able to be easily hooked up to the caton your stock exhaust although your not going to be getting the best performance like that.....

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Yea when they say 3" they probably mean catback because when you go turbo you have to have a jgy dp for example with the correct flange to bolt up to the turbos exhaust elbow

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*Edit* OK

So the downpipe (most?) is basically the connector to the stock Cat on our car. I dont know why but I was a little confused on this because On that. Thanks

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically the exaust on a legal Turbo car would go from the turbo exaust housing to the down pipe, to the cat, and through the cat back. Am I missing anything?

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
yea so whenever you get an exhaust it usually is just a catback... you have your stock cat... and then you have the dp which goes from teh cat up to the exhaust elbow on the turbo.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I dont know why I was confused about that but the pic I had in my head was exacly like that.

Why do some cars need an up pipe and a down pipe or somthing like that? Is that just to make it easier to instal?

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
an up pipe? do you mean the brown peice in the pic i posted? if you look the side of the turbo has like a 6 bolt flange that is a weird shape.... probably be hard to make an exhaust peice with a bend and a flange like that on it. Not sure but that's how it is with most setups :)

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"an up pipe?" Maybe I am mistaken on the name. Either that or some idiot with a turbo car told me his mods and didnt know what he was talking about. Anyway Now that that is all cleared up I think Im going turbo! My money is right. Now all I need to do is get up off of my lazy ass and go see about getting this 80k mile 5sd SE-R down the street from me that doesnt run. If the price is right its mine. Either that or the guy helping me do the swap has an NX that he is not doing anything with! Summer is comming and its time to get on the ball.........time to get back in an SR20 powerd car.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
lol maybe its called that never heard that myself... but im new to turbo so who knows. thatll be sweet... let me tell you its a bitch though lol. good luck.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I know it will be a bitch. But hey its no fun if you dont have to work for it! I want to learn anyway.

·
mhmmm
1,263 Posts
i heard that term up pipe today.. i was a bit confused on it too.. he is a WRX owner and he was talking to someone and said yeah my brother gave me this wrx and he put in the greddy exhaust and i think he said all i need is the down pipe and the up pipe... i was like hmm what the hell is an up pipe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts