SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How will a header increase my HP? I read in teh SCC project SE-R that a header really won't deliver that much more HP in a SR20DE engine and it is not an essential item in HP gains. What kind of sound will an aftermarket header give me? I have a custom cat-back 2 1/4 " pipe with a Nakayama racing straight through muffler which delivers a nice deep low sound. How will a header affect that? also, same questions only with racing cams by either JUN or JWT? anyone with experience please give me your opinion?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
That's crap.

When I put a Hotshot header on my '98 SE (which was currently stock with just a CAI) I felt a HUGE difference. It was a nice kick in the ass.

Also, the CAI seemed to get louder.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Just to clarify, Jordan was calling bullshit on SCC's claim that a header won't deliver much HP. If you read the SE-R.net link, it goes into depth about what a header does and why it is an *essential* mod for big NA hp.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
header and cams are the two biggies for me.....

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
420 Posts
On a V-6 Probe GT I can tell you the sound gets a bit deeper but not louder. Power gain is noticable from the butt dyno.
Are you sure SCC said headers are worthless?

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; now raising funds for AGX's

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
If you were to take a stock SR20 with factory(stock) everything on it. ie exhaust filter cams etc. and bolted on a header you probably wouldn't notice much difference. It's just like any other mod. a filter or cams or whatever by itself wouldn't not make a HUGE gain but when you start adding these gains together they tend to multipy. My advice would be mod in this order 1.Air filter 2. Exhaust(done) 3.Headers 4. Cams my $.02 worth

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently installed the latest version of the Stillen 4-1 header. I was not overly impressed with the initial quality of the part, light rust inside, chunks of thick welding inside. I had a local muffler shop smooth off the rough edges and brush out the rust before I did the install. Power-wise I am pleased, it definately works in harmony with intake and exhaust mods.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
My introduction to what a header can do came about 4 years ago, shortly after I first joined the SE-R List. I'd met up with another list member who had lightly modified his car. He was running a homemade underhood intake, crappy *Pacesetter* header, and a Genie exhaust. Not the greatest setup, by any means.

We raced a few times in a deserted area (near the local nuclear power plant, actually). The results were the same each time, through first, neck-and-neck, then into second, the better scavenging effects of the header came into play, and he would gain several car lengths, and continue to do so, and there was no way I'd be able to catch him.

Yep, it makes a huge difference. Naturally, I got a header not too long after.

Cams make a big change too. You can really feel more of a kick in the butt with them. Louder, too. But a good loud

I'm really interested to see how I G-tech now with the cams. Before the cam install, I was in the low 7s to 60, mid-15s in 1/4.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Also, I'd have to disagree, or maybe clarify what Skyliner wrote. If you have an earlier car (pre-1995), you can get by without doing anything to the exhaust with pretty basic mods like intake/header.

With only a JWT POP intake and a 1st gen Stillen header, and no other mods, my NX2000 made 132 @ the wheels.

However, 200sx cars have a much more restrictive midpipe, as compared to the earlier SR20DE cars, and benefit from opening that up. This was verified at the last dyno day we had up here with Louis Rosanova's 200sx SE-R. Catback made a huge difference in his car, which was being severely choked off (HS header, CAI, but stock exhaust system). Once the OEM pipes were swapped out, he saw huge hp and torque gains. I can't remember his torque figures offhand, but I do remember that his peak hp numbers jumped 15 hp.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
It is still true for hp per dollar the header is probaly the best thign you can do. Thats looking to be my next power mod, if I ever can do it. For order, yea the POP would be great first since its so easy, but headers need to be first or second. Exhaust isnt a big thing with classics, and then with the b14's a mid pipe is all you really need. The stock muffler isnt that bad, but again im used to classics not b14s think eric said stock vs. stillen muffler was like 6hp but I could be wrong. Pullies are then one of the other good first mods. All 3 of these will not affect your driveabilty or character of your car. The moment you bolt on that exhaust, its LOUD. Cams add issues with idle and timing, until you get the ECU which fixes that stuff but by then you have more than just a mild se-r. Then you have to upgrade your clutch because your old one keeps slipping....then you no longer have a daily driver. Many will call bullshit on that. But exactly how fun is a full bolt on car with strong clutch, lowered, all the other stuff, in traffic or just the juant to the libary. It say its fine, but over and over I hear people with lots of bolt ons saying they got in a near stock se-r and forgot how nice the car was. Cause at that point you have rattles...shakes...vibrations...noises...all kinds of not normal stuff, normal = stock. God thats a rant.... but headers would be top of the list, i want to know what kind of **** they be spouting to say something like that. After YEARS of info from the list, you would think someone would let them know about this.

Kojima....any thoughts of this, if you even read this board not just the turbo forum

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Yep, I'd put a header on the top of the list for bang for the buck.

Here's something else I'll add to the mix:

This is surprising; testing an otherwise completely stock NX2000 with stock airbox vs. a JWT POP intake resulted in an increase of 6hp @ the wheels. That's significant! And unexpected.

Oh, the same day, we also tested relatively new (and properly gapped) Bosch +4 plugs vs. some old, dirty OEM NGK plats (regapped). The +4 plugs were actually -4 hp @ the wheels. Not good plugs for our engines.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I added a hotshot gen3 header to a 99 Sentra SE with CAI and cams. VERY Nice midrange gain, top end was restricted by exhaust.

Now I have added the same header to a comepletly stock engine. Nice midrange gain, top end was restriced by everything else. Overall driveability went up; I didn't feel like I had to wait a minute after I pushed the gas for the car to start accelerating.

After you buy a header, compare the primaries to your stock exhaust manifold (diameter, curvature, and length before merging). You'll see why it can give such large gains on a full bolt-on car.

B14's stock exhaust sucks! (for performance)
The muffler is worth 6hp from my testing also (and that was trhough the stock b-pipe).
There is probably another 5hp in the b-pipe.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Well guys you know whats funny? I had my '91 SE-R in the summer of '99, all I had done was an open airbox when I got my G3 Hotshot header installed. To tell the truth, I didn't notice too much of a power increase. The car seemed better mid-range to the fuel cut but it wasn't THAT great.

Flash forward 2 years to October of '00.....I put another G3 header on my '98 SE...and DAMN did I feel some power. It was like night and day. The power was everywhere. Only bothersome part is an annoying cricket sound at idle sometimes.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at

14's this season

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What sort of gains can be expected from adding a header to a B15? Is the exhaust setup on the B15 as restrictive as the earlier models?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
With each additional change to the engine it got more and more restrictive. Last I heard was that a guy in SoCal put a Gen3 on his 2k and got like 10hp to the wheels or something crazy like that. They said it was nuts. Also the difference in the feel between a header on a b13 to a b14 also goes on that restriction. And the engines tend to have different power curves slightly, making power in different places from the change in the emmissions and other things they dis with the engine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW...i got a lot of great responses.thanks guys. I want to maeka corrections about that SCC article. I think what they were saying is that yes a header adds HP, but You won't shave off that much time from your 1/4 mile with one. I feel and I forget who originally said it in teh responses but i agree that with mods here and there.they multiply to add more HP. I also agree with Bolwcut about losing the comfort of hte ride. I got a taste of that as soon as i added 205/40/17 yokohamas.adn eibach pro-kits. I lost that nice smooth ride to gain better handling and looks. It doesn't really bother me though. I owned a camaro before my 98 SE, and the ride on that was not anything to brag about. I really want to do some cam work though..to add that kick in the ass you guys are telling me about..any preferences between JUN, or JWT, or Bullfrog cams? this is really a great forum and you all seem to be pretty knowledgable. I am still learning about imports day to day. so bear with me if some of my qustions seem obvious or dumb. thanks in advance. Enjoy the ride

Jay
1998 Sentra SE, 17" ADR racing turismos, 205/40/17 yokohama avid H4's, custom Nakayama Racing Sports exhaust, Ractive intake, Eibach pro-kits w/ stock struts (makes for a shitty ride), nis-knacks clear corners with hyper white turn signals, soon to have body kit by stillen or steet weapon drift series kit.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
With each additional change to the engine it got more and more restrictive. Last I heard was that a guy in SoCal put a Gen3 on his 2k and got like 10hp to the wheels or something crazy like that.</font>

Just to clarify. I was at the dyno day when a Hotshot header was installed on a B15 SE. On the first run we got 7hp increase. Then Mike K increased the timing on the car to around 17-18. And boom the power went up by 3 hp. The car was making 10 hp with header AND timing. Not header alone.

The three primary power adders are:
1. JWT S3/S4 cams
2. Hotshot or ABES Header
3. CAI
Other power adders that will help
4. Underdrive 2-pulley set
5. And the last thing to do is the Exhaust. Get a striaght through exhaust with 2.25 madrel bent b-pipe. Put a perforated glass pack for noise reduction.

That is the best you can do for a daily driven NA vehicle on a budget.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Jay, IMO the only cams worth getting are the JWT ones. Bullfrog (Gude) has shitty customer service, they used to make cams for the 1.6's (GA16DE engine)and I heard they sucked.

Get the JWT s3 cams if you want your idle to be closer to stock, get the s4 cams if you don't care about the idle and want the extra power up top.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)

15.454 @ 88mph at

14's this season

1 - 20 of 27 Posts