SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This maybe a newbie question, but i searched. I have a t28 on a usdm motor right now with a 2.5" downpipe. I'm going to be going with a bb or avenier DET very soon. The intercooler pipes are hotshot and the downpipe is a custom one. Will i have any issues using the downpipe and intercooler pipes with the det w/ t25? The hotshot air outlet pipe has a 3 bolt flange. TIA

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
From researching similar questions, I beleive you will run into a problem with the downpipe. If I remember correctly the flange is the same but needs to be rotated about 15 degrees or so (a post by Greg Perry is coming to mind). I have been trying to determine if the air outlet flange is the same; general concensus (sp) is that they are, so your IC piping should be okay (assuming FMIC).

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
yeah, that is true, but a very simple fix for any decent welder in an exhaust shop.

But I got the impression he was changing blocks, not moving down to a T25 turbo.

Brent

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coach said:
yeah, that is true, but a very simple fix for any decent welder in an exhaust shop.

But I got the impression he was changing blocks, not moving down to a T25 turbo.

Brent
Both, im going from a us motor with a t28 to a det with a t25

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
If you get a U13 or avenir motor then the I'C pipes will be different. The hotside will have to be redone unless you rotate the turbo up like T28 is. The DP will need the flange cut off, rotated, and re weld. Simple enough for an exhaust shop to do.

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
97SE-R C2 said:
If you get a U13 or avenir motor then the I'C pipes will be different. The hotside will have to be redone unless you rotate the turbo up like T28 is. The DP will need the flange cut off, rotated, and re weld. Simple enough for an exhaust shop to do.
what about a u12?

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
I believe the u12's have the turbo outlet facing upwards. Either way, you'd be happier with a U13 for two reasons.

1. Its a newer engine (normally less miles)
2. Even though the hotside piping needs to be redone, you'll have a much shorter hotside which equals less lag (like theres much on a T25 to begin with :D ) It kind of opens up the top of the motor and looks cleaner IMO.

EDIT: No matter what the DP has to be cut, rotated, re-welded.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Where do you guys get your ic piping? Do you have to buy a specific kit or do you just have it made? Thanks!

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright so all i'd need is a 180 degree bend to make it work? My intercooler to TB should be fine and my filter to turbo should be fine too with what i have?

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
Correct. But with the hotside I have, you would have to remove A/C and your water resevoir. I use neither so Its not a big deal for me. The piping can be made just as short, or shorter though. you just need a few bends welded together to go under the radiator support.

·
Registered
329 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
Correct. But with the hotside I have, you would have to remove A/C and your water resevoir. I use neither so Its not a big deal for me. The piping can be made just as short, or shorter though. you just need a few bends welded together to go under the radiator support.

Nice, What kind of piping did you use and could I just use a normal pipe bender to get those nice bends or are they mandrel? Also what diameter is best?

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
4DoorSR said:
Nice, What kind of piping did you use and could I just use a normal pipe bender to get those nice bends or are they mandrel? Also what diameter is best?
I bought mandrel bends from JCwhitney. In the link I posted I listed part numbers for what I used. 2" inch is fine for the T25 and my power goals. If you want over 250whp, I'd say go for 2.5" piping.

·
Registered
91 Posts
97SE-R C2- Is there a reason why you didn't run your cold pipe on the other side of the radiator instead of under the rad support?

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
JTP said:
97SE-R C2- Is there a reason why you didn't run your cold pipe on the other side of the radiator instead of under the rad support?
I didn't go under the radiator support. I went through the fender well where a CAI would normally go through.

·
Registered
91 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
I didn't go under the radiator support. I went through the fender well where a CAI would normally go through.

Ok, cool. I was at one point thinking about going along the driver's side of the radiator, but never got around to it. Was wondering if somebody had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts