SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The classic I have now has a Hotshot header, high flow cat, and a Magnaflow catback on it. Do the Magnaflow catbacks come with a resinator already installed? I havent got under there and looked yet. But when driving at highway speeds, it sounds like there is one installed, because the car is pretty quiet inside. However, at around 4k rpm, I get this raspy tone coming from the muffler, almost like a loose baffle inside the muffler. I like the tone of the catback, but that noise is annoying me!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked, and there definately is a resinator in the mid pipe. Does anyone else have a raspy noise problem with Magnaflow mufflers with a resinator?

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Infiniti Rydah said:
I just looked, and there definately is a resinator in the mid pipe. Does anyone else have a raspy noise problem with Magnaflow mufflers with a resinator?
I don't with one w/o a resinator. My car sounds just like a WRX with an exhaust. You've probably heard one.

·
Give me fuel,give me fire
552 Posts
Ya i have a magnaflow on my greddy catback and it gets raspy right about 4k RPMs. It has a rez in there too. Mine is the 5x8, but i bet you could fit a 14" one in there and that would quite it down and probably get rid of the raspiness.

I liked the sound of the Greddy alot more, but i like the magnaflow becuase it looks sleeper.

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
magnaflow's dont have baffles....they are the (almost exact) same glasspack design as a borla...thats why its a bit raspy

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'm glad to see everyone else with the magnaflows are getting the same tone. I'll tell ya, after driving it all night tonight, the raspiness kinda grows on you. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is it possible to get a Magnaflow muffler as quiet as the HKS catback? Really big Magnaflow resonater, perhaps? Also, which size Magnaflow is the quietest (4"x9", 5"x8", etc)? I assume the longer it is, the quieter. What size do you guys use, and will offset inlet/outlet pipes affect sound?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out who sells the most effective resonator (longest and quietest). I think I am just going to purchase a Borla XR-1 racing muffler 3" in/out with 5" overall diameter and use it as a resonator. Is anyone familiar with the construction of this "muffler"? Is the inside liner smooth with perforations or is it like a "cherry bomb"?

·
Registered
222 Posts
You know I've heard the term "cherry bomb" so many times in relation to mufflers, but I have yet to figure out what the hell ya'll are talking about! LOL Could someone please explain to me what a "cherry bomb" style muffler is? Is it sorta like a glasspack?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FlippyBoy said:
Is it possible to get a Magnaflow muffler as quiet as the HKS catback? Really big Magnaflow resonater, perhaps? Also, which size Magnaflow is the quietest (4"x9", 5"x8", etc)? I assume the longer it is, the quieter. What size do you guys use, and will offset inlet/outlet pipes affect sound?
How quiet is the HKS catback?

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
the inside of magnaflows and borlas look like any other glasspack....a perforated tube inside the caindster, which is filled with fiberglass particles.

cherry bombs are what you get for $20 at you local parts store, they are a glasspack design. go look under any big lifted redneck truck...that long red tube style muffler is a likely a cherry bomb

·
Registered
151 Posts
Infiniti Rydah said:
How quiet is the HKS catback?
From what others have said (I dont have one myself), it's basically stock quiet under 3k rpm, and then only midly aggressive after that. Its power gains are similar to any other cat back, though.

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
nismo1.6 said:

are you serious?!!!!?? your saying that is good!!!!!!!!!!!? those things cause a massive amount of back pressure. the above is a louvered core, NOT a perforated core. <like below)

this is from mike kojimas sentra.net click here for more.
That is what I was talking about.. this type of muffler is what I consider a glasspack or cherry bomb. That is not a perforated inner tube, but louver core as mentioned above; and is worth plenty of back pressure. I doubt the Borla is constructed this way.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I climbed under there today and took a look around. Apparently, the guy was wrong, and it's a Dynomax muffler! I'm looking for just an HKS muffler to replace it, but can't find just the muffler by itself. I have got used to the tone, so if I can't find an HKS, I'm leaving it the way it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts