SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound stupid and make you think that I've been living inside a card-board box for the last 20 years of my life...but can you guys tell me more about Ames Oil...the other day I went to my local speed shop looking for Redline stuff but the salesman recomended Ames...now I've never heard of it and want to know more about it...do they have a web site?

Please fill me in...
Thanks...

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I used Amsoil in the past, but I don't any more. It's expensive, hard to find, and no better than the readily availible and less expensive Mobile 1.

A few years ago, I was reading their propaganda and found it strange that in all their "comparisons" with other oils they never once compared their oil to Redline or Mobile 1. They only compared it to regular petroleum oils. The only reason I could logically come up with as to why they avoided comparison tests with Redline and Mobile 1 is because their "tests" showed it is not as good as Redline or Mobile 1.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The only reason I could logically come up with as to why they avoided comparison tests with Redline and Mobile 1 is because their "tests" showed it is not as good as Redline or Mobile 1.</font>
It may be because all synthetics are pretty much the same. There are only slight differences between sythetics as opposed to synthetic vs. petroleum. I would say just pick a synthetic and stick to it. My car has 190k miles on it and runs great, it's had Mobil 1 in it the whole time. (Same 4 qts!
)

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
and runs great, it's had Mobil 1 in it the whole time. (Same 4 qts!
)

</font>
geez, you are sounding like me, lol. i had an old tercel before my '97, and id leave the oil in for like 8000 miles at a time, then i wonder why the engine practically blew up when i redlined it one night. oh well i got a nice new-used car outta the deal

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA

the tercel! Hey ryan I think it was actually like 20,000 miles with no oil changes, and about 5-6 redlines a day. Not to mention burnouts and e-brake slides. God, I loved that car.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - with the $hitty stock cams, 14's this season

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:

the tercel! Hey ryan I think it was actually like 20,000 miles with no oil changes, and about 5-6 redlines a day. Not to mention burnouts and e-brake slides. God, I loved that car.

</font>
Yeah, i miss that beast. with the open airbox, she really purred! I want o get another car to beat the piss out of like i did that one. i hate puttin all these miles on my 200.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts