SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading one of your posts where you were talking about the JUN 264 cams. you were talking alittle bit about the power they make, the quality of the grinds, etc.

if you can help with some questions, that'd be awesome :)

-when you were talking about the quality of these cams, were you impressed, or did you think they would wear quickly?

-are you or your friend using the JWT s3/s4 program with these cams, if not how is idle?

-are these the equiv. of the s3 or the s4?

-i live in the n.w., do you know if there is any chance of passing a sniffer with these cams ?

-is it possible to put these cams in my 96 motor, then when i get ready for a new one, transplant the JUN cams into the new JDM motor?

...i won't bug you anymore!! LOL. sorry for so many questions, but nobody seems to know anything about these cams, sounds like from your posts that you've dinked around with these.

anyways, thanks in advance :)

bryan
b14 se-r
JWT 50 shot
(96 cams suck! LOL--need top end power!)

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I've got the cams. Jay installed them for me. Jay and I were both impressed when we took the cams out of the box. The billets are new and the cams look awesome out of the box. I have the S3 cam program. Idle is good. The car hasn't died once. It sounds nasty. (especially with my hotshit leaky flex pipe) The cams begin to pull hard around 4000 rpms and pull all the way to fuel cut. As far as the sniffer test, I have no idea. I wouldn't think there would be a problem putting the cams in a JDM motor,but I have no experience with the JDM motor. Hope this helps. I think I will have some dates with S3/s4 owners at the Boston SE-R meet. I'll let you know how that goes. I think Matt (sr20boston, has arranged a get together with a c3 owner) we'll see, if you have any other questions feel free to drop me an email or an im.
freez[email protected], AIM stea1th727

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
I can answer some of those questions for you.
Ryan is using the jwt s3/s4 program with the car.
The idle is nice. It is not as jumpy as you would think but it gives that jumpy sound.

When I drove the car it moved pretty damn good. With the right conditions he might be able to get in the 13's all motor. The car goes really good.
It sounded like Jay was really impressed with the car from the way he sounded.

If I am wrong on any of these ryan or jay please correct me.
But the car does go and it was a pretty good investment on ryan's part.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R (Pacific sun blue)

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nitrous_50:
-when you were talking about the quality of these cams, were you impressed, or did you think they would wear quickly?</font>
I was impressed. The quality of metal, the machine work all of it was top notch.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">are you or your friend using the JWT s3/s4 program with these cams, if not how is idle?</font>
He has the S4 program, and the idle is more typical of a "cammed" car. I could never understand why the S4's had an erratic idle. It never seemd "cammed" but more like it really needed a tune up bad.

The JUN 264's lope. bwabwabwabwabwabwa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">-are these the equiv. of the s3 or the s4?</font>
Yes and no. From I what I read the spec on the S4 are more agressive, and the S3 is less agressive. But those are just lift and duration numbers. They don't tell the whole story.

From what I have *seen* the JUN264's are stronger up top. They pull really hard on the top end, without really losing any low end that you would care about.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">-i live in the n.w., do you know if there is any chance of passing a sniffer with these cams ?</font>
No idea, they lope more than the S4's so that might be trouble.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">-is it possible to put these cams in my 96 motor, then when i get ready for a new one, transplant the JUN cams into the new JDM motor?</font>
Sure.

Good luck.

P.S. If you can, I would recommend the JUN valvesprings as well. You don't NEED them but the SR20 valvesprings are known to have a funky harmonic in the 7000-8000rpm range.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Another good reason to go with the valvesprings is so you can go with the bigger lift 264's. I've got the 10.5mm lift with the stock valve springs and craig has the 11.5mm lift with the jun springs. I believe the springs sell for around 300.

------------------
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
P.S. If you can, I would recommend the JUN valvesprings as well. You don't NEED them but the SR20 valvesprings are known to have a funky harmonic in the 7000-8000rpm range.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Quick question, how far can you rev the engine with these cams? How high should you bring it up to? TIA

------------------
Jorge

'96 SE-R

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRios:
Quick question, how far can you rev the engine with these cams? How high should you bring it up to? TIA

</font>

You can rev them to fuel cut.

I don't really understand your question?

The ECU will not support anything over 8K rpm, it can't clock that high.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I wonder what the rev limiter is with the JUN ECU considering its a whole new computer.

------------------

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
JUN lifts your rev limiter by 500rpm with their own computer. They also recommend the 272 as the "baddest" cam. They want you to go with their own springs and cam gear. Plus they recommend a lightened fly wheel. They will also dyno tune your car. JUN treats each car as its own specifc application and they tune it accordingly. I had a reall nice long talk with Mark @ JUN. If I get nowhere with the JWT cams, I am going to the darkside

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
how much are these cams?.. also i saw that jun sells valve guides what are they?.. i know about valve springs and retainers but not the guides..

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
I wonder what the rev limiter is with the JUN ECU considering its a whole new computer.

</font>
IIRC from out conversations, JUN guts the ECU and goes from a 16 bit to a 32 bit processor. This-according to what JWT says about the 8000rpm ceiling on the 16 bit ECU would allow you to go over 8000rpm.

JUN sends a new ECU...no core required. That's one of the reasons they are more expensive. At least that's what we were told at APluss about a year ago when Craig was planning his car out.

I think a complete 2.2 JUN motor would makes some stupid power, but that's just a WAG at this point. However I don't see a JWT Bonneville Skyline, and it's not the JWT Silvia that put down 700whp with no juice.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
jay, i completely agree with you on jwt not having any cars at bonn. 700whp and no juice is totally insane. i just recently purchased the 280 cams with 11.5 duration springs, guides, retainers, head studs and flywheel for myself.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

·
Side by side through 9
719 Posts
However I don't see a JWT Bonneville Skyline, and it's not the JWT Silvia that put down 700whp with no juice.

FWIW, JWT helped tune that car. JUN was having some problems and Clark helped them sort it out. I'm sure if you knew that, you'd have mentioned it though

Tom

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well to all you people talking bad about JWT, you know who you are I made now 575hp to the wheel with all JWT products. the motor is a 2.0 and if we had the money to make a crank via Crower and go 2.2 we could get that 700hp to the wheels easy.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
they are both insanely bad ass companies, you are trying to compare pepsi to coca cola, some people like the flat nasty taste of pepsi, some people like coke, it is all personal prefrence and how much you want to spend.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
OHhhhhh yea, If only I wasn't making 8 dollars an hour.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
I have to say after having to sets of JWT cams and on my second set of JUN's the JUN's are better. The quality of the grind is as good if not better than the JWT grind. They make more also make more power. Every SE-R with a stock motor and the usual bolt ons make between 131-145 on the dyno all of the time. Mt car has a stock motor and I have the bigger JUN 264 cams in my car and I laid down 152HP to front wheels and my previous run with nothing else changed with the S3 cams I only laid down 144HP to front wheels. People there is other companies out there that make excellent parts!!!!! People learn to make your own decisions and not go by what everyone else says. If you want JUN products call me (Craig at Acceleration Pluss) for products. WE carry it at the shop because it works.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
If I get nowhere with the JWT cams, I am going to the darkside

</font>
Oh ****! LOL, never thought I'd hear that. Just wishing there was more independant testing (i.e, dyno comparisons) between the two brands.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Craig Damaschi:
I have the bigger JUN 264 cams in my car and I laid down 152HP to front wheels and my previous run with nothing else changed with the S3 cams I only laid down 144HP to front wheels. </font>
Are you sure? 8 hp difference from the cams seems a little high. Let me remind all that I put down 146hp with bolt-ons on the s4 cams, no ECU. Ray Kawski put down 150hp on s3 cams with bolt-ons, no pulleys, Naji put down 147hp.

I guess an 8hp difference is possible but it sounds a bit high.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts