SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me first start of by explaining why I'm putting this question in the general forum. I would like everyone's opinion on it. Ok well I just got back from some races about an hour away. Well I raced two people the first guy was the one I'm dwelling on. He had a 93 Honda Accord, with a Jap-Spec H22a in it. Now this was a 4 door. He had intake, headers, exhaust, upgraded fuel system, and some other little stuff. He was also running on stock size wheels. Well me on the other hand. JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, Hotshot Header, Place Racing CAI, Jun Flywheel, ACT Clutch, and a 70, yes 70 shot of NOS. The only thing I didn't have going for me was that I had 18" wheels on. Well we line up, hit it and I get him by maybe a car and a half off the line. Keep ahead but not by much. Maybe 1/4 of a car. Then had to slow down due to traffic. Second time we line up I pull on him again off the line. Not as much though. So we go all the way up to the top of third and he starts pulling on me. Get to 4th and that's pretty much end of story. NOW WTF? Granted I know I'm not the best driver. Now comes my question.. I love my car don't get me wrong. BUT if given the chance to trade it in for a full out sports car I don't know what I'd do. See I'm supposed to get a pretty good chunk of money within the next year or so. If given the chance and say $20,000. Would you buy a sports car? One such as a TT 300zx, or perhaps a Supra TT? Or would you dump the money into your SR? No matter what I spend on the car it's still going to be a FWD, and it's still pretty much going to be in an economy class of cars. So what's your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

·
Registered
146 Posts
being that your in sunny florida go rear wheel drive...supra, corvette, 300z, porsche 911. ;op, with all these cars you can get a targa or at least ttops.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Living in a very crappy place for winter driving, I think I'd just DET my NX and do a lot of work on it. Not that it would be anything near an ideal winter car, but if I jacked-up coilovers, put on winter tires and didn't run too much boost, I think I could make it through winters...

of course, when you really consider it, it's dumb to drive a souped-up car in winter, just because your odds of smasing it are that much greater, and the salt would make it rust. I'd spend $2k on a crappy old 3rd gen Civic (a fantastic car in its' own right, with LOTS of potential), and then I think I'd spend $$$ on an SR20.

My reasoning? Well... first of all, I love my car, and feel comfortable driving it. I love the way it feels, the way it handles, and I'd feel comfortable spending some good coin on it. Then there's the sleeper factor... I'd stay with 15" rims (most likely Rota C8s), so people wouldn't be anywhere near prepared for the shitstorm of power under the hood. And I do think that my car has a chassis capable of handling pretty good power... it's quite a good handler stock, and doing bushings and shocks and coil-overs would only improve that. There's the personalization aspect of modifying a car in the exact manner in which you want it done, the consideration that you're building an automobile that is a true expression of yourself, and the satisfaction of accomplishment should you choose to do some of the work yourself.

Tuning up your car as opposed to just going out and buying a high-performance car certainly isn't the rational choice, but it's the one I'd take. I'd sooner have a car that suits me than just another LT1 F-body or Corvette or Supra.

Mind you, that's not to say that SR20-powered vehicles are the be-all and end-all of cars out there. I'd love to get my hands on a 4A-GE-powered Toyota, a DSM, a 3rd gen. Civic, a 2nd/3rd gen Prelude, a 626 Turbo or an A1/A2 Volkswagen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ya the supra or 300 would be nice also an rx-7 how much would your insurance rate rise if you bought a sports car???

umm i miss the fun of a RWD car

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm really not too concerned about the insurance rates going up. 1: the car would be paid off, so that's all I would pay. 2: My dad's wife is my insurance agent so I get the bomb deal. Here's another thing that I'm kind of lost on. I heard that Rx7's are unreliable. What about a 300zx? Supra? What kind of work needs to go into these to make them fast? I'd really like to stick with a Nissan. My friend has a 91 n/a. It's pretty nice. But he said it's a bitch to work on.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Or u can get a new 95-up 240 with a ****ed up engine and hook it up with a det and still have extra money to play with...its a nissan, rwd and turbo

·
0 Posts
DUDE, dump the SE-R and get a Supra bro.
You'll get over it.

------------------
-3x CRX owner
-SE-R mods: "Home Depot" intake
-

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
RX-7s go through motors like crazy, that engine is are VERY fickle Beast.I worked at a Mazda dealer for 4 years when they were still selling them. EVERY single RX-7 we sold (small dealer maybe 5 units) had a motor put in it before the warranty ran out. 300zx are ok up until a certain point. If you want to swap turbos might as well pull the motor. Supras are nice, personally if I had BIG ca$h I'd turbo the SR because I've always wanted one. but other than that Supra

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matt4Nissan:
I heard that Rx7's are unreliable. </font>
Many 3rd generation 7s had engine problems...that is why you will see a lot of them with new engines that were replaced under warranty at less than 60k miles. It is, however, an awesome car and a bit better performance wise than the Z TT and Supra TT mostly due to it's light weight. I would like to have one, but I would never get one as my only set of wheels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What about a 300zx? Supra? What kind of work needs to go into these to make them fast? I'd really like to stick with a Nissan. My friend has a 91 n/a. It's pretty nice. But he said it's a bitch to work on.</font>
The Z TT and Supra TT are both great cars too. I wouldn't bother getting an NA Z (I had one) because it isn't that much greater perfomance wise than an NX or an SE-R. I hated having a car that looked amazingly fast when in reality it was only mediocre. The supra TT is a bit more reliable and lighter than the Z TT but personally I love the styling of the Z. If you want more info on the Z TT go to www.twinturbo.net

Oh yeah...and all three of the cars above (turbo versions of course) are fast stock...well under 14 seconds in the quarter I believe. It takes next to nothing to get them in the 12s. And handling is very good too, especially with the RX7.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by skyliner:
RX-7s go through motors like crazy, that engine is are VERY fickle Beast.I worked at a Mazda dealer for 4 years when they were still selling them. EVERY single RX-7 we sold (small dealer maybe 5 units) had a motor put in it before the warranty ran out. </font>
I heard that the 3rd gen RX7s engine problems were cause by defective cats...do you know if this is true?

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
DET 240 with the silvia front end.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great idea, I'll get right on that.
Does anyone know what a 240 with the SR usually pulls in the 1/4? I know there's a guy in Florida with a RBDETT in one. I imagine it's a pretty tough swap though.

W

·
0 Posts
a 240 with a det swap will do the 1/4 the 13 range. and that is with a stock one and at moderate boost. put some race gas in it and turn the bosst to 18=20psi and you'll probably be in the 12's. well from what i've read and seen on all the sr20 pages.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well personally I like the Supra the best. The thing about the 240 is they're nice. But it's a 4 cyllinder. NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG, I love my 4 cyllinder, but it lacks torque. Especially for a RWD app. What I'm shooting for is a 11-12 sec daily driver. I really don't want to go with a domestic application. But with that being said I have a friend with a Convertible Mustang that pulls 11 flat. And it's a daily driver.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Thats with the stock turbo correct. With the f-max kit and a properly set up transmission and rear end the car should be in the 11's I would think. Don't forget about the JUN silvia which is in the 8's.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts