SR20 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 SE-R. The PO told me the clutch was replaced and it does feel good when I'm driving. Shifts great through all gears. When the car is cold though I'll start it up and I let the clutch out and it feels like it lurches forward or the clutch is grabbing as little. This is when the trans is in Neutral upon start up. The car warms up and It drives good. It almost feels like the clutch pack is not letting off the flywheel? What could cause this? Is this a problem I should look into or just drive it?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When it's real cold out (like below 10*F), the sensation that you are experiencing is not unusual. I would recommend that you change your tranny lubricant to Red Line MT-90. This synthetic will be less viscous than conventional lubricants, especially when cold. It's possible that what you have in your tranny now is either the wrong weight or very old.

Drain the tranny (half inch ratchet with long handle preferred) when the oil is hot, then refill with Red Line. Hot Tip: Make sure that you can remove the fill plug (3/8" ratchet) before draining. Put a little silicon sealer on the threads of your plugs before replacing them. Do not over-tighten the plugs, they have tapered threads and can crack your tranny case.

Your shifting should be noticably smoother, especially when cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes perfect sense. It was really cold this morning and I noticed it a lot more. When I grab the shifter I can tell that the gear oil in there is really cold. I'll try the different fluid and see if that remedies the problem. Thanks for your help!

When it's real cold out (like below 10*F), the sensation that you are experiencing is not unusual. I would recommend that you change your tranny lubricant to Red Line MT-90. This synthetic will be less viscous than conventional lubricants, especially when cold. It's possible that what you have in your tranny now is either the wrong weight or very old.

Drain the tranny (half inch ratchet with long handle preferred) when the oil is hot, then refill with Red Line. Hot Tip: Make sure that you can remove the fill plug (3/8" ratchet) before draining. Put a little silicon sealer on the threads of your plugs before replacing them. Do not over-tighten the plugs, they have tapered threads and can crack your tranny case.

Your shifting should be noticably smoother, especially when cold.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
that makes perfect sense. It was really cold this morning and I noticed it a lot more. When I grab the shifter I can tell that the gear oil in there is really cold. I'll try the different fluid and see if that remedies the problem. Thanks for your help!
The Red Line products are easiest to find on line. Just use Google to find a supplier that can ship to you. The price is a little steep ($8-$10 per quart) but it's good stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there anything else that I could get from autozone, napa that would work? I don't feel like getting the Redline right now. I don't have a garage or I would do it myself. I'm going to have a shop do it for me.

The Red Line products are easiest to find on line. Just use Google to find a supplier that can ship to you. The price is a little steep ($8-$10 per quart) but it's good stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts