·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm relatively new to turbos and engine tuning. The following
questions are about the SR20DE with turbo in a 200SX (US) 95-98:

1) Does the engine overheat on long (200mi+) trips? Would adjusting the
turbo to lower psi's on long trips decrease risk of overheating the engine if
overheating is an issue?
2) What are the main necessities to get the turbo SR20DE rolling in a
200SX SE (like SR20DE engine, turbo, etc...)?
3) Which is better - rebuilding an SR20DE and strapping on a turbo or rebuilding an SR20DET FWD and replacing that turbo?
4) And on average, how long does it take to finish all the needed components for an SR20DE(T) installation?

Thanks for your help!

Dave

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
(cracking knuckles)

1. Engine does not overheat. With a turbo under light acceleration and cruising, it makes no more power than stock really. You are only "pushing the engine over stock" when you are in boost, that is, having the intake manifold pressure higher than ambient/atmospheric pressure. So cruising along or putzing around town should be no different. You *might* have to worry about overheating if you are pushing the engine a lot over a short period of time over stock, yes. I have yet to experience above 60 degree temps since my turbo install so haven't had any problems at all yet. NX2000's are supposed to be particularly susceptible to overheating due to the front end design not allowing for a lot of airflow just FYI.

2. If you have a GA16DE and would have to swap the engine anyways, everyone will agree to just go for the DET. Buy one for a good price with little to no sludge under the valvecover, replace the crankshaft bearings (necessary precaution on imported DETs since many are supposedly junked engines), get a JWT ECU for it, an American DE MAF, and I think that's it. Well, for you, transmission and axles too.

3. If you have a DE laying around in good shape and can find some used turbo parts off a Bluebird or GTi-R (like yours truly did) then that might be an option as well. Just gotta keep in mind a DE has 9.5:1 compression and a Bluebird DET has 8.3:1 compression. Lower the compression, the less detonation you get running higher boost levels.
4. If you have everything sitting in front of you and have the necessary tools and a bit of mechanical aptitude, hopefully should be a weekend job. For those experienced in SR20 engine swaps, a day.

Oh, since you have a 1.6L you would also need a wiring harness I believe.

Anybody else comment?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, I too plan to do a motor swap from a ga16de...

If the rod bearing is needed to replace, can I use the SR20DE "U13 Blubird" bearing?

Also if I need to do a engine rebuild for DET BB can I get the overhaul set for U13 "i.e. come with most gasket, oil seal, piston ring, and valve seal"

Reason is, Here in Malaysia all U13 model are non turbo and is easy to find te parts for it...

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, use the u13 (altima for you non hearabout nissans everyday people) that is where alot of the det's come from. I believe that the head gasket is a little diffrent, and a few of the little ones also, but most parts are interchangable though.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Hotshot also sells a turbo kit for the 1.6. Just a side note although the kit and install if most likely a lot more than buying a det and installing it.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Hotshot also sells a turbo kit for the 1.6. Just a side note although the kit and install if most likely a lot more than buying a det and installing it.</font>
Absolutly! A DET runs $1500,Trans and axles for a DE are $700ish,JWT ecu $500,DE wiring Harness$100??,IC $100-$500,piping $100-$200.

=$3500ish.

Pay the same or more for the HS GA kit and make about 50 less hp with much less potential.

------------------
Mike
98sentraSE Turbo
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/mgoss/Page2.htm

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I was just letting him know there was a kit out there in case he didn't want to do the swap. I was in no way saying that a turbo 1.6 would be better than a det swap. Anyway to the guy who originally posted, good luck with the swap if you choose to go that way.

[This message has been edited by 97 Black SER (edited 12-20-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Works for me now. It didnt before though.

C

------------------
MarC
96 w/ no turbo
AIM SER96MarC

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
LOL I am absolutely torn as to that very option. HS turbo for the GA or the DE-T. Not sure why, I know the stock DE-T has WAAAAAy more power and potential to make more power than the turbo GA does. ANyway the HS kit is still in the works. It's currently in a non-intercooled state and will be tested this way. I believe Mike K. will probably be testing the kit on the project 1.6 in the future!

Oh and Mike G. What's up with your site, I wanted to do some browsing and both links you have posted are not working. Just thought I'd bring that to your attention!

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts