SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it okay to use water in like an emergency situation? would it like hurt the cooling system or something?
thanks
derek

·
Registered
723 Posts
i wouldnt think so... isnt the coolant system suppoes to be filled with a mix of coolant + water anyways?

so i guess u can use it temporarily and then flush it out when u get the chance

·
0 Posts
NO!!! it won't hurt.
Ive had to use 100% water in the past with my old CRX. and i forgot about it for a whole year!! good thing florida is warm!!

·
0 Posts
anti-freeze is just there to stop it from freezing and some other B.S. Water is good.
Just go 100% Water Wetter. =-)

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
A jug of distilled water is always a good thing to carry along. Drink it. Put it in the radiator. Good stuff.

Water is the most abundant thing on earth until you really need it.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL or then there is my friends 86 crx si that he bought of eric here on the list....running with straight coolent for about 2 to 3 months

G

·
0 Posts
Don't run with pure water for too long. The additive isn't just to stop freesing it also prevents corrosion of the metal surfaces of the cooling system and possible the build up of limescale and sludge. I know of people who have radiator failures after running with low additive; Also one case where an aluminium stub that a hose connected to becoming corroded and snapping off, leaking out all the coolant.

A question for you though: do you guys routinely use distilled water for your coolant mix? This sounds like a good idea. In the UK a lot of people use straight tap water.

------------------
You heard the man tubbs - get undressed.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh tap=faucet

------------------
You heard the man tubbs - get undressed.

·
0 Posts
I think I read somewhere to not use distilled water. Hmmmmmmmmm,I cant remember.
I use 50% prestone and then hose water and water wetter.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been meaning to change mine- I have 178,000 on my '94 SE-R and I've never even had the radiator cap off. It's never run hot or anything, and I've lived in Raleigh (hot) and Maine (extreme cold). Go figure.

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
So what combination of watter wetter and hose water are you guys using. What are the advantages of distilled water. Is it ok to us water wetter and water or coolant and wetter and water?

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, AEBS Header, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

G

·
0 Posts
Well down here in Miami it is very hot and humid so coolant flushes should happen about every year. It is also good to flush the system so you don't start rusting from the inside out. I use a 70% water to 30% coolant mix and 20 caps full of water wetter and my temperature never moves a bit even after several hard races.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts