SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey..im changing my exhaust sometime soon once i get a newer engine...i have a konig muffler right now which ill be selling, it sounds really good, but i got sick of the sound and want it to be quite as possible without it being stock,, (ill need a 3'' piping)..what are some suggestions for a muffler or solution to make it quite...thanks

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Is your new motor going to be a DET? If not you don't need 3 inch piping.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
The HKS exhaust is pretty quiet.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes its gonna be DET, so i need to find a 3'' inlet muffler, i want it to be as quiet as possible since it interferes with my stereo...thank you

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Awesome, you will definately not want an external wastegate if you are concerned about the stereo. I don't believe any companies make 3 inch exhaust you will have to have it custom made. You might also want to talk to mike gosslin about what he has done with his DET exhaust. I rode in it on sunday and it was quieter than my exhaust on my bolt on SE-R.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeloBlammo:
hey..(ill need a 3'' piping)..what are some suggestions for a muffler or solution to make it quite...thanks</font>
see:
http://laf.cioe.com/~benbobbo/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/001129.html A1 in top message has 3" ID mufflers, and JCW has 3" mandrel bends. Just use a resonator and a muffler, both as long as will fit under your car, and maybe add some sound deadening if needed. It won't be super quiet (nothing will in 3" that I know of), but it won't drown out the stereo or turbo either.
Dan

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeloBlammo:
or..wait...i want a glasspack to replace the cat?</font>
I'm not running a turbo, but here is my opinion. Keep a cat (stock should be 2.5" ID and may suffice, or catco or random technology if you want larger ID). Most places (maybe nation-wide?) you should by law have a cat.

Here's some specific parts - or find similar: Add a 3" ID resonator immediately after the cat, either a glasspack, or dynomax race bullet muffler no 24219 $35 on the A1 site below. Add a final muffler welded dynomax in 20" long (25" overall) * 4.5 * 9.75" w 3"ID part no 17233 $80. Get 3" mandrel bends from JC Whitney (2 90 degree and 2 45 degree should do it).

It IS high-flow. Normally aspirated it isn't "quiet", but isn't "loud" either. You may decide to add extra sound deadening right over the final muffler (in the trunk). I have heard - and you should verify - that a turbo actually quiets exhausts systems down.

Dynomax info at at www.dynomax.com
Note: $25 rebate on mufflers until 16 July.

http://www.a-1performance.com/ for lot's of info (including specific part nos), and I bought both mufflers from them (very helpfull when you call the toll-free number).

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14721&_requestid=40091 for mandrel bends

Want to add via edit - crawl under car w tape measure in hand - I have a classic and config may vary slightly to fit your car. Check alignmentment on final muffler (mid pipe, side pipe etc). E-mail if questions.

My opinion - others no doubt vary.
Dan

[This message has been edited by AC7880 (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Jannetty Racing in Waterbury can do mandrel bends of 3 inches if you want. I say ditch the cat and just put the stock one back on for emmissions.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
excellent..thanks guys..i was planning on it being custom since there arent (or i havent seen any exhausts ) for my car...but anyway a place on my town does custom piping which i have now and planned on doing it for the 3'' ..once i find a newer muffler ...so you say a resonater will quite it down?..what about airflow?..and ill be looking for a 3'' high flow cat to go along as well..you guys think whis set up wil be good....and yes i have sound deadener in my car...thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know if he could even pass emissions with the det and cat on there. So, you may need to consider that too. They're kinda stupid about **** like that around here, unless you know the right guy

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not even sure...I've been wondering this myself since I'd love to drop a DET in myself.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic

·
Registered
400 Posts
hmmm, my dynomax exchaust is pretty quiet and it adds a good boost to my car, only costed me $100 with installation and everything, the sound to the exhaust is pretty good though, goto www.dynomax.com, they have sound clips, just try around..

------------------
Kenneth

1996 RED 200sx SE-R w/dynomax Superturbo Exhaust

·
Registered
513 Posts
It wouldn't be very loud, but would it pass inspection even with the cat in MA? That's my main concern. It would suck to have all that work done and then be told you can't pass inspection.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kpw97:
It wouldn't be very loud, but would it pass inspection even with the cat in MA? That's my main concern. It would suck to have all that work done and then be told you can't pass inspection.

</font>
When in doubt run a cat (it is federal law whether "inspected for" or not. And it only costs maybe 1 hp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts