SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Driver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone is running for racing exhaust for SCCA and NASA track competition.

I have a glasspack muffler on my SE-R right now but it is too loud for the track. I need to get down below 75 db to be legal at the local track.

I have been looking at the Dynomax ultraflo, Magnaflow, Supertrapps.....

What are your experiences with the different mufflers?

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Below 75dB at what distance? That seems unreasonably low.

We're running a Dynomax 3" ID x 4" OD x 18" L resonator, and it doesn't seem to accmplish much other than smooth the tone out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is that 75db at idle? I'm running a Burn 17" x 3" and it doesn't do much after idle. It is pretty quiet at idle. Your track must be in a residential area.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I was just wondering what everyone is running for racing exhaust for SCCA and NASA track competition.

I have a glasspack muffler on my SE-R right now but it is too loud for the track. I need to get down below 75 db to be legal at the local track.

I have been looking at the Dynomax ultraflo, Magnaflow, Supertrapps.....

What are your experiences with the different mufflers?
I don't even think a stock car is 75db. A burnes racing muffler is the quietest racing muffler. I get them custom made 25" long. You can get them made to length.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I need to get down below 75 db to be legal at the local track.
Below 75dB at what distance? That seems .
Your track must be in a residential area.
I bet it's Waterford Hills. They say 75db "At the property line." The noise restrictions are pretty tight there, so not many clubs race there.

Edited to add: I'm running a cobbled together 2.25 cat back with a glasspack and a 2 chamber flowmaster, and Melissa runs a 2.5 VRS kit with a resonator and a Borla muffler and both are darn quiet. (I slept in the car on the way to Mid-Ohio once)

·
Driver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, the track is Waterford Hills and they measure the sound at the property right next to the back straight.

Blair, I just bought the car in Akron from a guy that was racing at Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges a few years ago.

the car is really quiet at idle but when I hammer it the car is really loud. Its starting to sound like I need a regular chambered muffler to pass sound there.....

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
yep, the track is Waterford Hills and they measure the sound at the property right next to the back straight.

Blair, I just bought the car in Akron from a guy that was racing at Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges a few years ago.

the car is really quiet at idle but when I hammer it the car is really loud. Its starting to sound like I need a regular chambered muffler to pass sound there.....

I've heard they are pretty strict around there.

That must be Sean's old car. I haven't seen it in a long time. I hope to see you at an event sometime!

I know alot of people have complained about the sound restrictions there. It shouldn't be too hard to pass though.

·
Driver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, its sean's old car. Man, you got the sixth sense or something knowing the track and the previous owner without me saying it.

I hope to be at the track sometime! I did one test with the car so far. It was too loud so i didn't get a whole lot done but it seems solid so far. i spent just about the whole day making partial throttle runs. i have a few things to do to the car to get it ready for racing, shake the car down and get used to it. I am going to get some track time in at open track days and autocrosses, get the car and the driver dialed in ya know. Then, next year I should be club racing if all goes well. Hope to see you there as well

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
yep, its sean's old car. Man, you got the sixth sense or something knowing the track and the previous owner without me saying it.

I hope to be at the track sometime!

Both were too easy!

What group are you running with?

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
You're probably going to need some sort of <2.5" full exhaust to meet that. Get the longest resonator and muffler that'll fit. Turbos also quiet the exhaust down... :D

Must suck to have noise restrictions like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts