SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Skip to next post for pics :biggthump

As some of you remember, my brother and I purchased a race NX2000 earlier this year. We've been running it this season with some success and some disappointment. I am very satisfied with our progress, my goal this year was to feel out the car and the series, in order to be able to prepare for next year and take a shot at the championship.

There were 8 races this year. Initially we had planned on doing six, but only ended up entering four.

Race #1:
We imported the car and had roughly one month to convert it to our specs. This involved swapping the transmission, clutch, and flywheel, JWT S5 camshafts, making an exhaust, removing about 200 pounds from the car, fitting a new seat, and so-on. We were not very well prepared going into the first race, but we met some helpful people involved in out series (Ontario Touring Car Challenge) who helped make it a smooth transition. Due to the driver's inexperience during qualifying (his first time driving the car), he missed a shift and broke a few rocker arms. I replaced them, and the car broke a CV joint during the first race, so he started last for the feature. Somehow Trevor managed to go from 16th place to 5th. Great job! :biggthump

Race #2:
We got our Hotshot gen 6 header in the mail and wasted no time installing it and fabricating a 3" side exit exhaust along with a Nismo Fuel Pressure Regulator and hit the dyno before the next race. With some very quick tuning, we were able to manage 170hp at the wheels. Not bad for an internally stock engine! Our second race took place at Shannonville, which is a short, technical track with not much of a straightaway. This coupled with the mid 30° (95°F) heat, I was quite concerned about the engine keeping cool. In practice, we struggled a bit with the setup, unfortunately the torquey engine coupled with the crappy suspension geometry and very tight course didn't give us much to work with. While experimenting with new lines, Trevor found his way off the course and through a rather large patch of weeds. Unfortunately, he could not know that the entire rad was blocked, and by the time he came into the pits a lap later, there was no coolant whatsoever left in the system. I let it cool down, and re-filled it, and two hours later the race started. The engine held up really well for about 10 minutes, but the damage had been done. Soon smoke was pouring out from every direction, and the race was over for us. Disappointed, we packed up and went home.

This gave us the opportunity to put together an even better motor, since ours was toast. I took my ported head and put it on top of the 9.5:1 motor that came out of my old street car. With the help of Calum's programmable ECU, we went back to the dyno and made 185 at the wheels :biggthump

Race #3: Apparently the S5's don't get along well with stock valvesprings. It only took one lap for hell to break loose again. For some reason one of the intake valves fell out of its keepers after only one lap of practice, hit a piston, and bent the valve. Still not sure what caused this, as the failure occured just below 6000RPM.

Disappointed, we packed up, went home and pulled the cylinder head. It turns out the piston was not damaged, although the valve was nicely bent. With our feature race of the season approaching, we took no chances, and bought JWT valvesprings to avoid a similar incident in the future.

Race #4: This was the big race of the year, we were racing in the American Lemans weekend at Mosport on Labour day, with ALMS, Speed World Challenge, and Star Mazda. I thought nothing else could go wrong, but I was mistaken. After only three corners, one of the flywheel bolts backed out, and sheared the other bolt heads off, leaving the clutch and flywheel to fall off of the crank and bounce around inside the bellhousing. Trevor said the throttle response was amazing, but only for half a second :redface: With the car torn apart, we had a choice, give up and go home, or try and get it going again. Fortunately, we had a spare transmission, clutch and flywheel with us, although we were still in need of the flywheel bolts, and a new throwout bearing. A quick call to the local dealership revealed that these parts would take a few days to come in. It was now about noon and our qualifying session was at 5PM. So I jumped in my street car and headed back home (about 100 miles) to find the parts while trevor drilled what was left of the bolts out of the crankshaft. I returned to the track with less than an hour left until qualifying started. We thrashed away, and with 5 minutes left in the session, the car hit the track. It was much slower with the stock flywheel, although in 2 laps, we qualified 19th out of 29. On race day, everything went well, our mandatory 1 minute pitstop went flawlessly, we passed 2 BMWs on the stop, and were in fourth place. With 3 minutes to go, disaster struck again. One of the bolts that holds the throttle plate in place fell out, and the throttle stuck open. Trevor made the wise decision to shut it down and watch the rest of the race from the side of the track. We were both very happy with our progress though, his lap times dropped about five seconds from the start of the year, and the fastest times were with the stock transmission and flywheel.

We obviously have problems with things coming undone due to all the vibrations in the engine, so the car is now in pieces, being built from the ground up for next year. IT will get a new coat of paint, a completely new suspension, and a fully built motor and transmission that will spit out somewhere above 200 wheel horsepower. We will no doubt be a contendor for the championship next year!

Big thanks to Powertech Imports, Woodchester Nissan, and Parson's tire for their support!

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some random pics. Sorry, not too many action shots, our team photographer was called in to work last minute at the ALMS weekend.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock rad with a Meziere pump and a nice hole cut in the front of the car, not to mention the inner part of the headlights ducted to the rad. We also have two hoods, one that is solid, and one with a large vent cut behind the rad. With this setup, the temp needle did not move from 190°. When the first engine overheated and blew, we had no extra holes cut. They would likely have saved our asses.

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
looks like your ran into some bad luck, but thats to be expected. i think its great that your out there racing a nx ! keep us all updated as you build the new set up and prep the car for the upcoming race season. care to go into detail about the 200+whp motor your gonna build ?

stratton.

·
I cruise @ your top speed
1,513 Posts
Hey jeff, although that bad luck hit you this year, i'm sure next year will be a different outcome :biggthump All the best!

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like your ran into some bad luck, but thats to be expected. i think its great that your out there racing a nx ! keep us all updated as you build the new set up and prep the car for the upcoming race season. care to go into detail about the 200+whp motor your gonna build ?
I've already got the bottom end sorted out, it's got 300ZX pistons, coatings on everything, a crank scraper, and a lightened crankshaft. I wanted to work out the reliability issues before I start using this block, as it was expensive to build, and I want it to last for at least one season.

As for the cylinder head, I am kind of nervous about revving the DE head to 8000RPM for 40 minutes straight. I am either going to try and bulletproof the DE head and put C3 cams in, or just go the VVL route. There are going to be many changes to the rulebook over the winter, so I will wait and see what they are before I start putting it all together.

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
glad to see you haven't been discouraged. Keep on racing and keep us informed so we've got something to stick in anyone's face who's asked "what the hell's an NX?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.