SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of good ideas, lets put our efforts in this thread!

First and most basic.

We need to open up a donation thread for people interested in donating. Paypal account is probably the preferred method unless one of us wants to deal with money orders and whatnot.

Can we use the forum or serca paypal account for this?

Now that there appears to be a lack of structure within SERCA who is going to handle $$$. Myself and Greg V put our hats in the ring.

Also we mentioned donations from vendors as well as some members who were willing to loan $, lets discuss....

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
The best way to raise money is to start taking registrations...yesterday.
Raise track price by $25, at least. SERCA lifetime discounts shouldn't even be recognized anymore, but that's just my opinion.

I know as much as the average Joe, so nothing. I have no idea where the convention stands but as December draws nearer my time to get the registration stuff going will be more limited. If the convention is going to be in April, the registration form should be up NOW. If it's later in the year, no big deal, but what does anyone know at this point?

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
George and Lesley Peters are who I thought the primary organizers are.

Registrations are great but donations are even better..... We really need to come up with enough to retain the track and any other items that require a deposit to secure locations etc.....

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Someone should get in touch with George and Leslie, so that they can come here and let us know where they're at in the process, and what they need us to help them with.

C

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
They both do.

Here's the cc: list I used on the invite

Calum, choaderboy2, david, eric96ser, GregV, racerbtch, rkawski, sr20boston, wes

C

·
Huevudo
5,479 Posts
I'm here now. I'll get with Leslie. She has most of it planned, though didn't have an exact $$ for the track or wasn't sure if EMS was covered and how much corner workers would be. She's going to get on here, and should have better track day figures this afternoon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will get you guys all the track info as soon as I have it!

So far we have the park and as of right now we do not need a permit. I have someone to do the shirts for cheap and I am working on 2 differnent deals for lunch. I was still planning on using Embassy but if you guys want I will work out with a differnet hotel on the strip.

Thanks guys. I have been a bit discouraged after talking to Sarah and Ray!

I will keep up updated!

Hope everyone is doing well!

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Hi Leslie!

Ray has that effect on people.

C

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Leslie!

Ray has that effect on people.

C
I concour. Do not let $ get you down. There are a bunch of us who want to help in any way that we can. Sounds as if Erick's region has money and there are a few sponsors willing to donate, in addition to forum members. Hopefully that will be enough to cover any required deposits and we can start selling pre-registrations once the date is decided. Perhaps this convention is more expensive than previous one's but hell, it's worth it.

What is everyone's thoughts on Embassy vs another hotel?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Sorry I threw JP under the bus but I was in Vegas for SEMA and George told me he gave up on the convention due to no money and I got pissed off.

I was pissed that he was being so slow in getting money and accounting returned to the club.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
The best way to raise money is to start taking registrations...yesterday.
Raise track price by $25, at least. SERCA lifetime discounts shouldn't even be recognized anymore, but that's just my opinion.

I know as much as the average Joe, so nothing. I have no idea where the convention stands but as December draws nearer my time to get the registration stuff going will be more limited. If the convention is going to be in April, the registration form should be up NOW. If it's later in the year, no big deal, but what does anyone know at this point?
We need to know how much this will cost. Then secure the track. I could loan a good amount of money if Mike Young's drops his lawsuit soon.

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
I've got no problems loaning all or part of the money to secure the track, but I can't do that blindly. I'd have to see a business plan for how the convention breaks even, with real numbers and past years data, assuming someone hasn't already put this together.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I threw JP under the bus but I was in Vegas for SEMA and George told me he gave up on the convention due to no money and I got pissed off.

I was pissed that he was being so slow in getting money and accounting returned to the club.
I talked to him and I think the fact that people knew who it was scared him. I told him that he needs to get the most accurate accounting data he has together as FAST as he can get it. That way people see exactly what is what. Not that it changes the fact of the loss, but knowing where the losses occurred is the big thing IMHO.

I am fairly certain it was the track day that killed the convention this year. I am the one who contacted the track initially and got pricing information. JP and I then met with the track president and had the contract sent to us. I was out of the loop from that point of anything having to do with convention $ as my wife and I were expecting our first child (and she was born 5-1-07), I basically handled sponsorship co-oridnation of the picnic and raffle prizes. I guess I just feel bad as I honestly think this could have been prevented or at least offset had more people been involved on the budgeting and accounting level.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Not that it changes the fact of the loss, but knowing where the losses occurred is the big thing IMHO.
I agree he must provide an accurate accounting, but isn't is possible that SERCA lost money on the convention with the weak turnout?

C

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
Hey kids.

Don't get too far down. The convention started from virtually nothing. I remember when Mike started the first major SoCal GTG back in 97. That begot the first convention in 98 that Kerry and I attended. We missed 99 because we got married, I was unemployed, and oh yeah, my mom died.

In 2000 Grover and I put on the first convention with a track event. It was modest, but it was a start. Each convention made money and each helped the next get started. Once SERCA got some cash, SERCA made the loans.

OK, the loss from last year was truly unconscionable IMHO. Too many opportunities to either prevent it or mitigate it. But, that said, we can start from scratch again and we will and it will be good. There are now a lot of people in this community who have either put on a convention or have been very involved with putting one on. There are smart people here who can make this happen.

Depending upon when it is, I may make the next one and bring my new girlfriend (she's a long time DE instructor as well).

Oh, and now that I'm here.... there goes the damned neighborhood. ;)

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
I see lots of good ideas and I think I've got tons to add/contribute. Thanks to Matt Hunt for getting my login back up and running as I jumped off the forum after some jerkoff from Florida talking about having a convention down there pissed me off back in June and I haven't been on since!

In any case, I'm doing a lot of moving into our new house today and tomorrow and will come back on Sunday probably to contribute. I don't really have the money but I will find a way to loan money to the cause because I have faith that it WILL make money and I will get paid back. That's what I did in 2001 without knowing if I'd be paid back but it all worked out.

As was stated, the weak turnout was a huge effect this year. Closing registration WAY before half the people even KNEW about the convention was a big mistake as well. I know it makes it more difficult but registration should be up and running through the entire weekend! Don't turn ANYONE away.

It's been on my to-do list for a while to put together a list of bullet points for future organizers and some do's/don'ts as well as outline budgetting information - no matter how primitive it is!

Greg, sorry I didn't call you back... I'll try today. I've just been so busy at work and now trying to get ourselves moved!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.