SR20 Forum banner

Rattling noise possible caused by timing chain

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
You just have to replace the chain tensioner to fix it, I don't know if this has happened to any one else but I found that if my oil filter gets to old like when I forget to change it starts making a rattling sound, so it could be that too.

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokoham avid h4

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 06-24-2001).]

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it kind of like a buzzing sound? I have a rattle that begins at 2500 RPM. NO ONE can figure out what it is. Once you start hitting above about 5500 it'll start to rumble almost, that's how loud it gets. lol, and no, that rumble is not my intake.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Magica:
DOes some else has this problem with his SR20DE engine ?

I have a NX2000 and I live in Holland, I see you guys are for more into the technique of Nissan's engines

But around the 3.000 rpm my time chain begins to emit very loud noises, it gets very irritating and I want it out of my engine. Does someone have a cure for my pour SR20DE ?

Cya ! GreetingZ Mel.
nissan@100nx.tmfweb.nl
</font>

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake System
STILLEN Performance Exhaust System
15x7 Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
195/50 ZR 15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

#3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Magica:

I have a NX2000 and I live in Holland, I see you guys are for more into the technique of Nissan's engines

But around the 3.000 rpm my time chain begins to emit very loud noises, it gets very irritating and I want it out of my engine. Does someone have a cure for my pour SR20DE ?

Cya ! GreetingZ Mel.
nissan@100nx.tmfweb.nl
</font>
Check the SE-R.net.
www.se-r.net
It sounds like your tensioner is bad.

#5 ·
Yeah, just change it anyway... I waited a bit to long and bent all the intake valves at an autoX.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G
#6 ·

Cya ! GreetingZ Mel.
nissan@100nx.tmfweb.nl

G
#7 ·
Magica, you haven't indicated how many miles your car has. According to a discussion with some Nissan techs my father had last fall, the chain tensioner is not as big of a big problem with the SRDE20 as much as in the smaller 1.6 engine. Not to say it can't happen. By the number of replies here saying they had trouble, it's going to make me worry about it again.

Check the se-r.net archives for the difference between a chain tentioner going bad (Or, the the chain guide becoming worn. That's been described there, too.) and motor mounts getting old. It's the diffrence between a "shing" at all times the motor is running and a tat-tat under changing loads on the engine.

He and I were discussing noises this weekend. From a mechanic's standpoint you can't just say "very loud noises", you have to give a bit more description.

G
#11 ·
Okay guys tNX for the support I hope I can get the chain tensioner parts found on sr20de.com , my car ran about 145.000 km's but my engine only about 80.000 km's.... I think my self that is must be the chain tensioner. No doubt about the oil filter, it has been replaced every 15.000 km's.

The sound really makes me frightnend about 3.000 rpm. but you can hear @ 2.000 rpm that's when you begin to hear it.
My Nx is from 1991 but the engine from 1995 it has been removed from a Primera GT and placed in my NX2000 (in Europe 100NX 2.0 GTi ABS).

G
#13 ·
Soon my car needs a service repair, so i'll order a neew chain tensioner.....and myc ar has now a Primera GT engine instead of a Normal SR20DE.........the GT version has 150 HP's instead of 143 this you can feel because I can win from a normal NX2000 !

Cya

G
#14 ·
hey b4 u buy a tensioner check ur altenator 1st i have a 92 se-r and heard similar noises but i knew it couldn't be the chain tensioner cause i have j-spec motor only 30k mile on engine check 2 c if the 2 bolts that hold ur altenator up r tight solved my problem now i'm noise free, can't hurt 2 check it out bsides it's free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.