SR20 Forum banner

Rb26dett

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  s13sr20chris 
#1 ·
Hey you 240 and silvia guys, I have a question. Has anyone tryed to put a RB26DETT in a S13 or S14? I like the 240, but I don't wanna do a sr20det swap (we have at least 8 sr20de/t powered cars in my family!!!!). We were thinking to put the RB26dett in our 510 race car, but we would have to do alot of modicication to the fire wall. It looks like it would clear in the 240 engine bay, so I think I would like to give it a try.

I remember awhile back in SCC they had a older genertation Z with the RB26DETT in it. It also had the 6 speed gearbox, with a 300zx rear end. REAL SWEET!!!

#2 ·
I've seen a pic of a RB25 swap into a S14 before. I hear it can be done but makes the car pretty much only good for drag racing because the engine is a lot heavier compared to stock. So you end up with a front heavy car. Of course, that's only what I've heard......

Khiem

#3 ·
It's possible. Just have loads of cash and do lot's of research. You can't use the RB26 tranny cuz of all wheel drive. The weight will be all jacked up so don't expect the car to handle like a champ. Can you say lot's of custom work! Cuz that's what it'll take. Here are some pics of the RB25DET in a S14.

#5 ·
Yep, it's been done quite a few times. The RB26DETT is just about the most expensive japanese motor you can get here, goes for 3000-3500 US. RB's are a looooong motor, not only do you get a lot of extra weight up front but you also get an increase in weight in front of the axle line. Fine for a drag car but it's pretty awful on the road. Recently I've been seeing people swap RB20's in, the reason they use is that the RB20 is so cheap (about 600-1000 USD). Why someone would pull out a perfectly good SR and put in a significantly older, much heavier and less powerful motor is beyond me.

#6 ·
i can't remember where i saw it but i did see a australian company that did do the swap, and they kept the awd set up. what i do remember is that they had two sets of prices one for the rwd set up, that was alot of loot. and the price for the awd set up was outta this world. they had to do soooo much custom **** it blew my mind. they said they have kits readily available but they sell out quickly down under. the times and numbers the s14 and s15's were putting out were AMAZING!!!!!! i will try to locate the site tonight and post it on this thread. wish me luck.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

#7 ·
IMOA said:
Why someone would pull out a perfectly good SR and put in a significantly older, much heavier and less powerful motor is beyond me.
Remember, here in the states 240SXs (S13 and S14) came with the KA24DE, not the SR20DE. So in the states this is why one would consider it. You can do a RWD SR20DET or do the more difficult and expensive RB swap. Kind of like choosing the Bluebird DET for FWD for an easy swap or the GTi-R motor for a more interesting one.

#10 ·
With RB20's and 25's the big attraction is the six cylinders. At least a RB25 is bigger than the SR and has more potential but the RB20 is simply a heavier, longer, older 2.0. Great in a 240z but not the right thing for a silvia.

The RB26 however is something real special, one drive of a GTR and you'll rave about it for the rest of your life. It's about the closest thing to a pure race motor that you'll find in any car this side of a ferrari. The potential of these motors is incredible, for example right now a guy I go driving with is putting the final touches on his rebuild, his target is 1350hp and it looks like he'll get it with a little room to spare. You just ain't gonna see that out of an SR :) Quite apart from the numbers they are just a glorious engine to drive, good torque down low with a noisey as hell valvetrain then as they come on boost it feels and sounds like a jet engine has just been lit off under the bonnet which soars all the way to a 9000rpm redline. Try to get a drive of a motorex one with a bit of work, say around 450-500hp, one drive and you're a believer.

#11 ·
Utlimately, you can put whatever engine you want in whichever car you want. I remember seeing 454 big blocks in Chevettes....sick.

Anyway, and pardon my honda reference, most of the bone heads that I deal with pestered me to swap in the H22a (prelude VTEC motor) into my civic coupe. I wasn't looking forraw torque. The extra 150lb penalty "over" the typical B-block swap was enough to get me to look the other way. I wanted a car to perform well on a road course and handle well. Plus, it isn't an easy swap.

Back to Nissan and the 240. Yeah, it can be done. The same bone heads that keep trying to get me to swap in the H22a are bugging me to swap in the RB26dett. As heavenly sweet as the motor is, it doesn't seem like the ideal swap for someone that's interested in real racing. Big block swaps are good as show cars or drag cars.

Funny thing about the bone heads that I refer to, is that they don't even change their own oil...:D

#12 ·
I've driven an SR and an RB swap performed by unStable-Hybrids.com. My thoughts:

SR - very linear power delivery from the Red-Top SR. Very qiuet with 3 inch exhaust. Handling slightly improved over KA24DE.

RB - very linear power delivery from RB20DE. EXTREMELY quiet and smooth, even with N1 Dual exhaust. Handling loss minor to KA24DE.

In the wings - CA18DET - can't wait to drive it. So small it almost classifies as mid-engined. Should also be smooth and quiet, with noticable improvement in handling.

For a true daily driver, I'd take the RB in a second - the car is transformed into something more civilized and refined than the sum of it's parts.

For well-balanced high-performance, the SR at 14lbs was a blast!

If I were going to the track routinely and horsepower was regulated, the reduced weight and improved handling attributed to the CA would sinch it.

CB

#13 ·
What is the weight difference between the SR and the CA?

I'll do SR in my 240 for the simplicity of the swap "and" parts availability.

I have no doubt in my mind that the RB20 feels great. I'm a firm believer in I6's. Very smooth power. My beef is that it isn't a typical swap. I'm not adventurous enough to attack a project like that!

-Alex

#14 ·
I don't have specific numbers in front of me, but this I do know:

The RB20DET weighs more (50-100+lbs) than the KA(400lb range), which weighs more than the SR(300lb range), which weighs more than the CA. I have carried a CA short block from the engine stand to the bed of my truck BY MYSELF.

To see the motors next to each other and then in the S13 engine compartments is something else.

CA turbos were sold in the US in the S12. Granted, more SR parts are available here in the US, but there are many sources in Australia for the CA (Glen "Lumpy" Campbell) and the RB. In fact, unStable-Hybrids has plans to stock some of the more common RB and CA components.

OK, more than you asked for, but thought you'd like to know. You'll be happy with any of these motors.

Shutting up now,
CB

#15 ·
IC...hey, more info than asked is better than nothing at all :)

One other question, in terms of driveability, how does the CA feel during normal driving? Does it feel pitiful under no boost? That's another concern that I had. I chose the B18C1 for my civic, not for max potential, but for practical driveability. It makes nice torque at about 2800rpms and builds nicely from there....not like the B16a that does nothing before 6000rpm.

Anyway, normal driveability is more of a concern on a daily driver than a more purpose build race car...that which will be my 240.

Thanks,
Alex

#16 ·
The CA is almost complete, so I haven't driven this motor yet. This one will not be stock, either, so I may not be able to provide the opinion you desire.

With a stock T-25, spool up should occur at rather low rpms - less than 3K, I would think. It's only 10% less displacement than the SR. Perhaps the Aussies can shed more light here.

I have driven an 88 Stanza and Pulsar, both with the NA CA - enough to get you around, but not dazzling. With a turbo, should be plenty of smiles for a daily driver (cheaper, too).

CB

#17 ·
My father had a Ca18det in his B12 last year. It was a fun motor with some kick, but comepared to our sr20de powered B12 it was about .5 faster. Though it was faster, it was not what were looking for. So were swapping that out and put a sr20det (Gti-R) in it's place. Even though it's a harder swap the potential for the sr20 are greater than on the ca18, plus the parts are cheaper.

But this is exactly the same thing about the sr20det compared to the Rb26dett. The potential is greater for the rb26dett than the sr20det, thus a faster car. The swap might be harder, but look what your gettin in return.

#18 ·
why does everyone forget the VG30DETT???
Although the RB26DETT is an excellent engine...
who in the right mind would buy an engine made only in japan, exists only in Japan, only Japan makes parts, and if you need parts, its from Japan.
People say the engine is virtually bulletproof and it can put out a shitload of power.... i've seen a video of an dyno'd RB26DETT hit 1017 HP with heavy mods...

however; the VG30DETT is an extremyl powerful engine.. with once again... virtually an bulletproof engine, with larger displacement.... ease of availablity through the United States and is easy and cheap to find.

If you were to get stock RB26DETT engines and VG30DETT engines side by side, and add one one bolt-on component at a time, *cams, headers, exhuast etc* i guarantee the VG30DETT would be able to easily compare to the RB26DETT.

Also the VG30DETT has an RWD transmission.. thats right....
doesn't mean that you will have to do **major** modifications to the driveshafts, axels, and try to convert an AWD transmission to RWD or hell even an FWD. And no you can't use an RB25DET transmission from an GTS-T Skyline.

The RB26DETT can punch out about 280bHP
while an VG30DETT can punch out 225bHP!
Basically despite maybe 55bHP difference at first, the use of easily accessable parts found in the United States for MUCH MUCH cheaper..... why the hell go RB when you could go VG?

The amount of $$$ put into an RB could build one hell of an VG engine.... much more powerful :)

#19 ·
personally i like the sr the best for road racing and stuff, however an rb or vg could be great for a drag car. obviously the rb would make more absolute power. vg is a fantastic engine but it is so wide you have to really squeeze to get it in anything. that will hurt power. as long as we are in fantasy land, why not a vk45de with twin turbo setup. lots of power possible there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.