SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Infiniti I30 (A32)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I came here from Maxima.org. I drive a 1996 Infiniti I30 with the dreaded rear beam. I've done pretty much every suspension/chassis mod (cut Koni Yellows, Eibachs, SFCs, LTB, RSB, bushings etc) and I'm looking to get that last little bit out of my car for auto-x. I was told there was a guy on here who used to do beam bending. I live in the DC area but would be willing to drive to get it done. Is anyone still doing this?

Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well Steve F (98sr20ve) might still do it. He lives in CO. You would definately have to drive to his place to do it as he really doesn't do beam bending parties anymore. It looks like he is still somewhat active so you could try to PM him and find out. I have had this done to my b14 and it really does help! It would totally be worth your trip. GL.

·
8,886 Posts
The last beam bending I did took forever to get setup. Then it only happened due to the hard work of the primary guy setting it up. It's a huge PITA for the guy doing all that work. I could do another but it requires the standard payment in advance from the 6 members. Including the cost of the flight, hotel, tool shipment and beam bending. This is over $1K easily. Please don't PM me with a "can we do it". My response is going to be "get 6 people lined up and commited to pay. Then we will work out the details and collect payments. I am going to charge $150 plus expenses per person.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
i wish the b14 OG's were still in the game :( I really wanted to get this done to mine.
It would sure be cool if we could get a beam bender bash someday in the Portland-Seattle area. ;)
You guys are on the correct side of the country to have this done. There is an alignment shop in So Cal that does this. West End Alignments.

·
Registered
1996 Infiniti I30 (A32)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last beam bending I did took forever to get setup. Then it only happened due to the hard work of the primary guy setting it up. It's a huge PITA for the guy doing all that work. I could do another but it requires the standard payment in advance from the 6 members. Including the cost of the flight, hotel, tool shipment and beam bending. This is over $1K easily. Please don't PM me with a "can we do it". My response is going to be "get 6 people lined up and commited to pay. Then we will work out the details and collect payments. I am going to charge $150 plus expenses per person.
Ok, thanks for being up front. So you're guessing $1k on top of the cost of the bending? So for 6 people the total per person would be upwards of $400? I can ask around on Maxima.org, but not many people over there would appreciate what you do. If there are enough people on this board however, it might be doable. Too bad you don't still live in VA :(

·
VE-T tester
1,146 Posts
why doesn't anyone just do a write up on how to have it done? My bother runs body shop and he said he can do it with some very fancy laser alignment equipment. I've though about it.

·
vengeance
1,280 Posts
what does beam benidng mean . and what does it do/?
normally I would say search, because its been answered about 10000 times at least 1000 of those by myself. But I am in a good mood today.
Basically, the design of the 200sx suspension is much different than the B13 with its manic handling. It was detuned somewhat by putting a 1/4" toe in on the rear multi-link beam, this effectively put the steering bias more towards understeering as that would be safer for people who dont know how to drive and are scared of oversteer. By bending the beam and removing that toe in, it will allow the car to be more neutral through the turns.

·
vengeance
1,280 Posts
I am considering starting a thread on the west coast forum to see about getting this organized, I am leaving the state for a few weeks on vacation but when I get back Ill start snooping around to see about getting some real drivers in on this.

·
8,886 Posts
Ok, thanks for being up front. So you're guessing $1k on top of the cost of the bending? So for 6 people the total per person would be upwards of $400? I can ask around on Maxima.org, but not many people over there would appreciate what you do. If there are enough people on this board however, it might be doable. Too bad you don't still live in VA :(
Sample breakdown of cost

Ticket $400
Hotel $200
Shipping Cost $100
Beam bending cost for the six people 150 X 6= 900

Total for the event $1600

Divide that by 6 people and you get $267 per person.

·
8,886 Posts
why doesn't anyone just do a write up on how to have it done? My bother runs body shop and he said he can do it with some very fancy laser alignment equipment. I've though about it.
It's been writen up several times. It's a matter of having the right tools and common sense to do this with out killing yourself or someone else and also not messing up the bar. You are using a 5 ton jack to bend a peice of metal to within a 1/32". It takes over 2 tons of force to do this. I doubt a laser machine would work for this procedure either. But thats not a big deal. I offered to sell someone a setup but no one wants to pay for anything around here. You want to buy it and do this beam bending?

·
8,886 Posts
^^ Just curios, but how much will that setup go for??
Too many variables to say. But, not including tools I would want at least $500 to teach you how to do it. If I have to fly out then thats not included. Tools you can make yourself or I can get them made. That would be a seperate thing. Key is you pay me for my knowledge and help with the process. Keep in mind. This is not easy work. It's a very tiring day doing 6 in a day. Several people who are my friends on this forum know the basics of how this is done. They all walk away and say "I don't want to do that". You have to like/be comfortable with hard, difficult, touchy projects.

·
vengeance
1,280 Posts
They all walk away and say "I don't want to do that". You have to like/be comfortable with hard, difficult, touchy projects.
In other words, you've got to man up :rofl:

I am going to see about getting something put together for middle october or early november, just a matter of talkin with people face to face and getting the money.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts