SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 92 classic which I bought used back in the days with 30K miles on it and now my car has about 112K miles on it and the rear brake pads do not seem to be getting worn out. I've changed the front pads many times but the rear pads don't seem to be getting used. The rear pad and rotors don't have any wear on them, I don't think my rear brakes are working or something. What's the problem and has anyone had this type of problem?

·
Registered
146 Posts
you lube em the same way you should be doing the front caliper pins you use a silicone lubricant such as "sil-glyde" or other brand and lube the caliper pins and the part goes in between the pins and the caliper (metal tube}...unfortunately on a high mileage vehicle (sometimes not that high) the caliper pin(bolt) may sieze up into the metal tube...time for new parts when this happens.

[This message has been edited by sr20 (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks! I'm out there right now.

Sorry to ask the silly questions, but I need to be set straight.

Thanks again!

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
My rear brake pads lasted over 100,000 miles. I guess you could say that our cars have an extreme front bias.

With my driving habits, I don't expect a set of stock front pads to last more than 15,000-20,000 miles. I've worn out a pair of fronts in just two days of track lapping.

Since the rear pads go years and years without attention, I guess lubing the caliper pins periodically doesn't hurt. I use a synthetic grease specifically made for caliper pins. You can get little tubes of it at a parts store for a couple of dollars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
sounds like your rear caliper slides are sticking, this is a very common problem with rear disc brakes. these "slides" need to be lubricated or they will sieze up...brakes are probably the most important item on a car so i suggest you bring it to a shop if unable to handle the job yourself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
How do you oil them??

I had one seize up solid.

Expensive thing to replace!!!!!

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts