SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, another dumb question from the west coast, non-performance related. On my 95 G20 the rear window glass contains, of course, those mostly horizontal wires for defrosting. More or less there is a top group of 5 horizontal wires, with a couple of vertical wires. Below this is a uniform group of 17 horizontal wires. I know I am describing this poorly, but if you take a look at your G20 you should see what you mean. Anyway, when I hit the rear defroster switch the 17 horizontal wires appear to do their job and defog the rear window where they are, but the top group of wires don't seem to be doing anything. My questions: 1) is the top group supposed to be defrosting? 2) If so, why aren't they? 3) Possible blown fuse for just that top group? Suggestions, anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
alright, what you need to do (I am 99.999% sure on this) is get some defroster fixer crap (am not sure what it is called exactally, but if your parts guy is knowledgable he will know what you are looking for) anyways, get some of that and basically what those wires do is they are on a low voltage, high impedance circut meaning that they will cause heat when power is ran through them, anyways enough science, find where the crack or whatever is in the wire and basically fix it with the kit, if you cannot find where it is cracked or whatever, get a volt meter and just run it along the wire and whenever you cannot get a circut, you found it (sorry, kind of hard to explain but can think of it perfectally in my head) and you will find the root of your problem.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ok I found this out a while back cause I had the same question. Those top lines are not susposed to defrost cause they are not defroster wires. They are the diversity antena. I noticed this a while back in my classic. From what I know is that all the cars with the s220de should have them, i dont know about nx2k's tho. It is normal that they are not defrosting. If you have the stock radio it really helps reception espicaly in city areas. But most aftermarket radios do not have the diversity function. I have heard of a few but never have seen one. Hope I helped ya out there.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
but ya, that is what it might be, I have seen porches and a few other high end cars that do not have antennas, but have a little defroster line looking lines around the windshield.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess it all comes down to whether that upper group of wires are defroster wires or if they are a diversity antenna. Remember we're talking about the G20, so you may have a different set up on your rear window. Of course the manual does not say anything. I have to take it into the shop soon anyway, they can tell me for certain.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out to be the diversity antenna after all. No wonder it doesn't do any defrosting :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts