SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to get the Prothane rear motor mount insert into my car today, and it ended in disaster. Well, not really, but you could imagine. I found out that the factory rear mount's mounting hole is actually offset, unlike the Prothane insert which is centered. So I wasted $30 or so on a mount I can't use... or can I? The fact that the original one was such a pain in the ass to re-install leads me to believe that the difference in mounting positions would make the prothane install impossible. Has anyone tried this? I'm afraid that, even if I do get it in, the different position would put undue stress on the engine and transmission and do some serious damage.

I should have known, when I bought the thing and it was called "rear or left engine mount", that I'd have problems.

Does anyone have experience with other brands of inserts? Are the others' offset?

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I have the Prothane mount in the rear (near the firewall) and everything works fine.

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NismoSER said:
I have the Prothane mount in the rear (near the firewall) and everything works fine.
How did you get the original one out? Did you remove the inner metal ring? Was your Prothane insert centered, or offset? How about your stock one? How long have you had it in?

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've talked to a lot of people and they said go ahead and put it on, it should fit. So I did today, and I was surprised that it actually did fit! Only problem is, I torqued the crossmember bolt too tight and the head popped right off. I'll have to take it to a shop and get them to take the remainder of the bolt out and put in a new one. But I'm amazed at how the torque mounts almost ELIMINATED WHEEL HOP! They're awesome. I used an Energy Suspension front mount and a Prothane rear (the ES rear didn't work, must have gotten the wrong part #). The only downside is that vibration at idle is pretty intense, and it actually made the interior a lot noisier in the low RPM range. But I wouldn't go back. Man, when I get the 3" exhaust and my header in, it's going to be seriously loud.

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, and the shifter no longer bobs up and down during on/off throttle! Awesome!

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Glad to hear everything is in!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts