SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from Motivational.net. Mike Saiki is finishing up the rear STB as we finish. It'll be painted, but that's only because we wanted to have the prototype bar ready for the SoCal-SERCA End of Summer BBQ. So all of you SoCal residents will be able to see it first hand.

Now, let me give you all the details:

The bar is made from D.O.M. Seamless Steel Tubing.
The Heim Joints are rated to handle a 6400lbs load. The Heim joints are also threaded Left and Right respectively. This allows the STB to be pre-loaded after installation.
The mounting tabs and strut tower plates are made from Cold Rolled Steel.
Initially the plan was to have the bar and the end plates poweder coated. The Bar and end plates will be Cad plated instead. Mike and I felt that Cad plating would be a better looking finish.
Best of all, any triming that may be needed will be MINIMAL! When we mounted the proto-type bar on my NX, it fit snugly underneath the plastic trim that supports the rear shelf.
Also, there will be a LIFETIME WARRANTY!
I've taken pictures. And when the prototype bar is panited and installed, I'll take some more pictures. But since I don't have a Digicam, it'll be a couple of days before I can post the pictures

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great! Andy word on one for the 91-94 SE-R??

------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, Stillen STB, SMC SS.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Great! Andy word on one for the 91-94 SE-R??</font>
We'll be taking measurements this coming Saturday.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
Registered
174 Posts
Where do I send my deposit!
For a 93' SE-R?

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 09-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Studpid question time. My NX has a trailer hitch installed. Since it is a solid piece of metal that connects both sides of the car I'm thinking that it may give me the benefits of a STB. Anyone agree/disagree?

·
Registered
97 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by keithert:
Studpid question time. My NX has a trailer hitch installed. Since it is a solid piece of metal that connects both sides of the car I'm thinking that it may give me the benefits of a STB. Anyone agree/disagree?</font>
Wouldn't a hitch connect to the frame? Probably not giving you anything, where the rear STB goes is in the middle of the car, where flex happens the most.

------------------
Stock (except for sticky Dunlops 8000's) '91 NX2K

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Where do I send my deposit! For a 93' SE-R?</font>
Hold on now. We haven't taken any measurments for a Sentra SE-R. We will do that tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.
And I'll be sure to let everyone know when and were to send their money.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My NX has a trailer hitch installed. Since it is a solid piece of metal that connects both sides of the car I'm thinking that it may give me the benefits of a STB. Anyone agree/disagree?</font>
I would have to see the exact mounting points to know for sure. But my guess would be no.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
Registered
72 Posts
what does a STB really do and do I need one. do you need a front one too? I am not sure I get what these do? thanks
it's probly a dumb question.

thanks
Matt

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">keithert said:
My NX has a trailer hitch installed. Since it is a solid piece of metal that connects both sides of the car I'm thinking that it may give me the benefits of a STB. Anyone agree/disagree?</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Natboy789 said:
what does a STB really do and do I need one. do you need a front one too? I am not sure I get what these do?</font>
I don't think it would do the same thing. A strut tower bar ties the top of the struts together, because they flex during hard cornering. The bottom of the car is very stiff because that's where the frame is. The top of the towers are basically hanging in space and don't have anything for support. The STB ties them together and firms everything up. Am I making sense here?
Oh, and there's no such thing as a stupid question.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Natboy789 said:
can someone also tell me about how much it would be for some good struts.</font>
Get KYB AGX's, they run around $400 for all 4 of them. Try P-S-T, they have them for $389 shipped I believe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
I don't think it would do the same thing. A strut tower bar ties the top of the struts together, because they flex during hard cornering. The bottom of the car is very stiff because that's where the frame is. The top of the towers are basically hanging in space and don't have anything for support. The STB ties them together and firms everything up. Am I making sense here?
Oh, and there's no such thing as a stupid question.

So do I need a front one too. If I do then do i have to get them at the same time. thanks for your help.

</font>

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The bottom of the car is very stiff because that's where the frame is.</font>
Our cars are UNI-Body desighn. So they don't have frames in the usaul sense. And the front control arms of our cars do "Flex". That's why N-Tech developed a lower control arm brace for them. Which I happen to have.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
A front STB will have more of an effect than a rear STB methinks. For a rundown of suspension stuff visit SE-R.net</font>
Nope, rear STB does alot more. Front one barely does anything, except dress up the engine department....

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Dunno bout you Stormy, but a front STB did wonders for my Sentra. The day I took it off I almost understeered into someone's yard trying to take a corner I normally do on the way to work. It really makes a diff on the B14s. I had the Lightning Motorsports/HP one on my car.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Dunno bout you Stormy, but a front STB did wonders for my Sentra. The day I took it off I almost understeered into someone's yard trying to take a corner I normally do on the way to work. It really makes a diff on the B14s. I had the Lightning Motorsports/HP one on my car.</font>
Thats odd. Well, you put a rear sway bar on most of the time, not a front. The rear needs to be tightened up to help to rotate it around corners. The rear AGX's have 8 adjusting settings in the back, only 4 in the front.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 09-23-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts