SR20 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone, So I have an NX2K that has substantial rust on the seams of the rear strut towers and it is starting to come apart on both sides. Now, I like this car, and really want to save it seeing as NX's are pretty rare to see on the road, but I am on a limited budget. I had a guy that works at a body shop down the road from my shop take a look and he quoted me at least $4K.

I am guessing that just cutting out and replacing the strut towers myself with my fairly extensive automotive repair skills and tool collection (but alas, a lacking knowledge of body work:( ) would be a pretty ridiculous idea...am I right in assuming that, or can it be done?

Is there a way to do it without removing the outer rear quarter panels like the body shop told me would have to be done?

Is 4K a reasonable price or can I get it done a lot cheaper?

Is this even worth tryin to fix or should I just part the car out?

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
Rob

·
Registered
405 Posts
IMO I think you could find a VERY clean NX with no rust for alot less than $4000. Just my .02. Chad.

·
8,148 Posts
robchaos19 said:
Alright everyone, So I have an NX2K that has substantial rust on the seams of the rear strut towers and it is starting to come apart on both sides. Now, I like this car, and really want to save it seeing as NX's are pretty rare to see on the road, but I am on a limited budget. I had a guy that works at a body shop down the road from my shop take a look and he quoted me at least $4K.

I am guessing that just cutting out and replacing the strut towers myself with my fairly extensive automotive repair skills and tool collection (but alas, a lacking knowledge of body work:( ) would be a pretty ridiculous idea...am I right in assuming that, or can it be done?

Is there a way to do it without removing the outer rear quarter panels like the body shop told me would have to be done?

Is 4K a reasonable price or can I get it done a lot cheaper?

Is this even worth tryin to fix or should I just part the car out?

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
Rob
this is a common NX problem....
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=117569
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=12611

4K seems very high. Shop around. Maybe someone can cut some sheetmetal out instead.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
If you can weld then by all means give it a shot for repair. If not then keep your eye on the for sale area. Your 4k could buy a damn nice NX.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
If you can weld then by all means give it a shot for repair. If not then keep your eye on the for sale area. Your 4k could buy a damn nice NX.
Agreed. I knew a local welding shop was going to do it for 150. I was just being lazy. I ended up doing it myself. I have pics somewhere here on the forum.

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone done this themselves that could give me some tips? I want to attempt this. I have a welder and most of the tools I'd need and what I don't have I can get from the tool truck.

Is a MIG welder with a spotweld setting what I need to use?
Can I just cut out the shock tower from the inside or do I need to take off the rear 1/4 panels?

Any other things that I should know for a man about to undertake something like this? I figure the worst that happens is I end up havin to shop around, and have the butchered car towed to a body shop to fix what I mess up.
thanks guys

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
This belongs in the NX section! We dont like puting our rust business out there like that!

But yeah $4000 will buy you a very nice rust free NX!

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This belongs in the NX section! We dont like puting our rust business out there like that!
Alright, well can a mod move his thread?

But yeah $4000 will buy you a very nice rust free NX!
Problem is that I don't have $4000 I have a max of $2000 and thats pushing it too right now. I was just wonderin if anyone has ever bought the strut towers from nissan and done this themselves. I have a mig welder and air tools and a shop to work at, I'm just wondering if this is something that someone who has good mechanical skills and works at a shop but has a limited knowledge of body work could tackle by himself.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
My first comment was a joke :tongue:

Since you work at a shop. I would just go find an NX1600 or 2000 shell and put everything from the rusty one onto the new one. Worst Come to worst you can always find an SE-R shell cheap and transfer it over.

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
robchaos19 said:
Has anyone done this themselves that could give me some tips? I want to attempt this. I have a welder and most of the tools I'd need and what I don't have I can get from the tool truck.

Is a MIG welder with a spotweld setting what I need to use?
Can I just cut out the shock tower from the inside or do I need to take off the rear 1/4 panels?

Any other things that I should know for a man about to undertake something like this? I figure the worst that happens is I end up havin to shop around, and have the butchered car towed to a body shop to fix what I mess up.
thanks guys
you should just be able to drill out the spot welds for the strut tower panel and tack the new one in place (or a reconditioned old one) - I wouldn't cut anything I don't have to, just pull the panel out in one piece. Then rosette and stitch weld the rest (rosette welds are substituted for spot welds - take 2 sheets, the one on top has a hole in it, and just fill in the hole with the MIG - should be stronger than any spot weld)

lastly, check around the NX section and see what other guys have done - pm them for more details, I'm sure they'll be happy to keep one more egg on the road

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
.....for $4k, get your self a Jeg's catalog and tube frame the rear with new perches and do the awd unicorn project, otherwise I'll sell you a clean nx2k, t-top that's getting an 80k sr20 from my wrecked 91' classic

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Johnny wangwang said:
My first comment was a joke :tongue:
Since you work at a shop. I would just go find an NX1600 or 2000 shell and put everything from the rusty one onto the new one. Worst Come to worst you can always find an SE-R shell cheap and transfer it over.
I dont need a se-r shell:D I already have a working one.
I think I am going to attempt this repair myself. I have all the materials neccesary and I most definatly have enough time.

take 2 sheets, the one on top has a hole in it, and just fill in the hole with the MIG - should be stronger than any spot weld)
Don't mind my ignorance, but what 2 sheets would these be? like i said before i'm not too knowledgable of body work.
thanks for the info though.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Can you guess what I'm going to say?
Remove the rear struts and upper mounts, and anything else that will prevent you from getting to the rusted areas. Use a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove all the loose rust on the strut towers inside the trunk and inside the wheel wells. Use a heavy grit sandpaper or grinding wheel to rough up the areas that aren't rusted yet. Get 2-4 yards of carbon fiber or kevlar cloth. Dry fit and precut the cloth into sheets that will wrap the entire surfaces of the strut towers, being sure to cover all rusted areas, lapping over into clean, rust free areas by several inches. Wipe off the areas with clean, lint free towels. Wet the carbon/kevlar cloth with resin and lay them over the surfaces of the strut towers. You can also use a paint brush to prewet the metal with resin before laying in the wetted cloth. I'd do at least two layers of fabric. This will encapsulate the rusty metal and prevent moisture from getting to it, so it can't rust any further. The carbon/kevlar will give the strut towers the structural integrity they once had. This will cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it will be a lot less work than welding in metal, it'll take less time and skill to do, it won't require any touch up painting, etc. and it'll last a lot longer. If you want to, you could use fiberglass cloth and do it for $100 or less but it'd take more layers to get the strength you'd get from only two layers of carbon or kevlar. Trust me on this. I've spent an ungodly amount of hours battling rust on several cars, replacing metal, etc. and this is probably the best way to do this, short of gutting the car and having it dipped. Even if you absolutely feel the need to replace the metal and weld and do all that ****, at least cover the areas with fiberglass cloth so that nobody will ever have to mess with these parts of the car again. A good place to get stuff is from www.fibreglast.com and they have a forum you can ask questions, advice, etc.

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that info Rob. I think I will do both replacing the towers and the carbon fiber wrap to prevent further rust. Since I work at a shop I get a discount at Nissan I can get both strut towers for $200. I have lots of free time on my hands, and I want to make sure that after this is fixed it does not come back again (at least in that spot.)

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
robchaos19 said:
Don't mind my ignorance, but what 2 sheets would these be? like i said before i'm not too knowledgable of body work.
thanks for the info though.
the wheelwell tubs overlap the body with the outer flange giving you a lap weld. But, you would also want to do the rosettes to prevent the sheet from peeling.

http://sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=106784&highlight=annie

3rd pic in the first post shows the flange I'm talking about on the far right
pics 1 and 2 in post 10 show rosettes

also, if you really do have all sorts of time, the fiberglass idea would be a really good idea

Rob - have you ever considered glueing pultruded carbon fiber (like the stuff on hunting bows or hockey sticks) onto the floorpan for some lightweight, ghetto subframe connectors?

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Bjorn. I will probably start a post in the NX2K forums once I get this project started...
but of course the passenger side shock tower has to be on NATIONAL BACKORDER:(

So...does anyone know where to locate a right side shock tower?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts