SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading that troll story over on b15sentra.net and i saw the troll was speaking of a micropolished crank in the SR20DE. how does this benefit the strength/performance side of an engine? and about LSD, can someone explain to me exactly what an LSD does? I know the SR20DE also has bronze inserts at the wrist pin to reduce friction..what do other cars have? what is the opposite of a micropolished crank? what is the usual insert, if the SR20DE has bronze? what other things make my SR20DE engine special from other engines? what other engines did nissan make that were chain driven, rather than belt driven..?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe this is a question for dgerryts...heheh

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Well, I believe the micropolished finish is just a finer finish.... basically a smoother surface which means less friction. It would be like sanding something with 50 grit compared with 2000 grit sandpaper. Micropolished is like sanding something with 2000 grit to get it ultra smooth while the opposite would be using the 50 grit.

Bronze is a pretty typical bearing material so I doubt there's any difference there.

LSD(limited slip differential) insures power is transfered to both wheels. Cars without LSD will just spin one tire. Think of it this way.... the power will go the path of least resistance... therefore, the power will go to the wheel that is spinning(kinetic friction is less than static friction). So if you have one wheel spinning and one not, a normal differential will just keep on sending power to the wheel that's spinning. A limited slip only allows one wheel to spin so much faster than the other. Therefore, power will still go to both wheels. This is a big advantage while racing on a road course or auto-x. When a car corners hard, cars without LSD will just sit and spin the inside tire because there's not much weight on it. Not only that, but power will only be sent to that inside spinning tire. With a LSD, power will still be put through the outside tire so you can accelerate out of corners instead of spinning the inside tire and not putting power down

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts